Subject: A short overview rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marius
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the chance to play it yesterday, and since there are no rules posted maybe someone is interested in a short summary meeple.

I take the uploaded picture to explain.

You have several new elements:

- Dynamite
- Second industry track
- Stock Market
- Steelworks
- Two new ?-tokens
- White rails possible and spots for multipliers on all tracks

Dynamite

As setup you have to place two (newly introduced) "rock"-token on the 15-points spot of the lower industry track and on the 8-spot of the Transcontineal East Line (third rail track). These are blockers and you have to remove them before you can enter or pass these spots. Therefore are the two dynamite rewards on the first track. With each one you are allowed to remove one rock goo.

Second-Industry track

You start with two industry markers and you can spend gained steps freely between these two tracks. The lower track works as usual. On the upper track you trigger a factory the same way, but you can pass the spot even if there is no factory below that spot. (But then you wasted one factoy bonus on this track.) So you can easily activate factories twice cool.

Stock-Market

The stock market track is on the left of the picture. You start with your stock market marker on the lowest spot of the track. At the beginning there are no reward tiles on the stock market tracks. Every time you trigger an stock market reward on your player board, you advance your marker one step on the track. Sometimes it costs money (e.g. on space 8 on the first rail track). If you are the first one who reaches a new level, you get to choose one of the (stock-market) reward tiles and place it on this level and gain the bonus. If there is already a reward tile you just take the bonus. So only the leading company gets to choose what rewards you can get. If you are in the highest spot and you would move your marker once more beyond the track, you get instead the reward of all the six tiles present on the stock-market-track. At the end you get 20 and 10 point for first and second place respectively.

Steelworks

There are three steelworks. These are special (crappy) factories which gain you only one black rail step. The player who takes the last train of value 4 (as factory or train, doesn't matter) gets the steelwork for free. Then every player gains all the bonuses he has passed on the stock market track. E.g. in the picture Green would get a black rail step and five points whereas Red gets only 5 points. This repeats for value 6 and value 8 trains. Since the steelwork is only a weak factory the receiving player can discard it, if he doesn't want it.

?-Token

One ?-token gives you a step on the stock market track and you trigger all your reached stock-market-bonuses. This is the only way to move beyond the highest spot to gain the big payout described above .

The other ?-token gives you the "golden spike". This can get you up to 50 points per round . You place it on the "+10 points" area at the end of the two lower rail tracks. You get the 10 points (or 25 points if you use this tile) for every of the two lower rails track where you reach the last spot with your train and the black rail.

I really liked it. The stock market is quite cool. I like that the one who unlocks the good trains for the other people gets the steelwork as a little reward and those two industry tracks are very nice. If you like RR, get it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin David
Ireland
Non US or Canadian State/Province
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great overview. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent overview, thanks. Now I am really looking forward to playing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dorfl2 wrote:

Steelworks

There are three steelworks. These are special (crappy) factories which gain you only one black rail step. The player who takes the last train of value 4 (as factory or train, doesn't matter) gets the steelwork for free. But he can discard it, if he doesn't want it. Then every player gains all the bonuses he has passed on the industry track. E.g. in the picture Green would get a black rail step and five points whereas Red gets only 5 points. This repeats for value 6 and value 8 trains.

As you refer to the example from the picture, I guess you mean "the stock market" track above? I expect that the player who has a steelwork may decide when to discard it to get with other players bonuses from the stock market track? And this is actually the bonus one gets?

AR looks like a fun expansion. More tracks (the 2nd industry and the stock market) to race in/choose from is a really neat idea. It is a pity the authors chose static places for rock tokens. It would be nice to be able to randomize the game setup with them provided more potential "rocky" slots are available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
norkbes wrote:

AR looks like a fun expansion. More tracks (the 2nd industry and the stock market) to race in/choose from is a really neat idea. It is a pity the authors chose static places for rock tokens. It would be nice to be able to randomize the game setup with them provided more potential "rocky" slots are available.

No reason why you can't make yourself some rock tokens and randomize for yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
norkbes wrote:
Dorfl2 wrote:

Steelworks

There are three steelworks. These are special (crappy) factories which gain you only one black rail step. The player who takes the last train of value 4 (as factory or train, doesn't matter) gets the steelwork for free. But he can discard it, if he doesn't want it. Then every player gains all the bonuses he has passed on the industry track. E.g. in the picture Green would get a black rail step and five points whereas Red gets only 5 points. This repeats for value 6 and value 8 trains.

As you refer to the example from the picture, I guess you mean "the stock market" track above? I expect that the player who has a steelwork may decide when to discard it to get with other players bonuses from the stock market track? And this is actually the bonus one gets?

You are right , I meant the stock market track, I corrected it.
All players get the stock market bonuses they reached right away at the moment when the last value 4/6/8 train is taken. Regardless of taking the steelwork or discarding it. Maybe I didn't write that so clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for clarification. Now all is clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin David
Ireland
Non US or Canadian State/Province
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time yesterday. I'm really happy with the way it forces the players to diversify their approaches. Going all-in on industry or the long rail is less effective.

I also like the incentive to take locomotives from the supply. I often find in vanilla Russian Railroads that there can be a locomotive cold war, with nobody willing to take one, as it will allow others to take better trains. That was less of an issue in this expansion.

Getting a good spot on the stock market is also a massive boon - particularly when the payout is triggered by taking locomotives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the stock market a modular addition? In other words, can you play without it without screwing something else up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
Is the stock market a modular addition? In other words, can you play without it without screwing something else up?

It would make like 6 space on your board that should give a bonus giving no bonus. So you could play without it, but why not just play with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:

It doesn't seem to be a true stock market in the 18xx or Steam Barons mode. It is really just another way of handing out bonuses if you choose to take that route, a little like the income or foundries in German Railroads. So it is better just to include it. Who doesn't like a little variety? I'll be trying to get to the end of the two pacific tracks for a +50 bonus each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bowman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does this exp. allow solo play like GR exp. did? Great overview!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.