Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
We played The Delve last night on Hard mode and found it much, much tougher than the campaigns on Hard mode (which we found quite easy). It was quite brutal in fact, to the point were we wondered how we were ever supposed to win.

I checked the RtL rulebook and found this passage:

"In The Delve, heroes do not receive any of the benefits of playing on normal: no XP and no recovery, and the amount of time players have to resolve a stage is reduced."

What is the "no recovery" part referring to? Do the heroes get to regain their health and stamina between levels on Normal mode? This seemed one of the most unreasonable parts of our game, as by the end of the first level our heroes were pretty beaten up and there was no way they were going to be able to survive even one more level, let alone five more!

What are others' experiences with Hard mode in The Delve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Yeah, there's recovery of health and conditions in Normal mode. See e.g.: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23994786#23994786

Simo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly off topic but do other people think the campaigns are easy on hard mode? I found them plenty challenging on normal mode and I'm now wondering if we're doing something wrong if others find "hard' too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
Slightly off topic but do other people think the campaigns are easy on hard mode? I found them plenty challenging on normal mode and I'm now wondering if we're doing something wrong if others find "hard' too easy.

We played the entire Kindred Fire campaign with 2 heroes on normal mode and found it challenging (and crazy fun). In the end we played 13 quests and won 8 of them. I own the base, LotW, and two H&M packs Crusade of the Forgotten and Oath of the Outcast. We did find some quests really easy and some crushingly hard, but in the end the whole was balanced for us.

I found the POD co-ops especially tough when I played them. I played them all, Forgotten Souls and Natures Ire a couple of times, with a variety of hero parties and I lost all of them. A few of times we quit because it took so long but I think we were still losing. I haven't played Delve yet but since it's based on the POD mechanics, I'm not surprised that it's difficult to win. I'm thrilled to hear on Normal mode heroes can recover damage, that's what crushed me in the POD co-ops.

As you can guess from my track record I'm no uber player. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played the tutorial campaign so far, but we found it very easy on Hard mode. I think we only suffered one KO the whole campaign, maybe not even that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horsie Palamino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:

We played the entire Kindred Fire campaign with 2 heroes on normal mode and found it challenging (and crazy fun).

Did you play with the modified 2-Player rules where each player gets to either recover 2 HP or get a free non-Action Basic attack at the end of their turn? People seem to miss that sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:

Played both Rise of all Goblins and Kindred Fire solo with 4 heroes on hard and found both extremely easy. Only the first quest of Kindred Fire presented a challenge. I played with the best party I could come up with though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palamino wrote:
Budapest wrote:

We played the entire Kindred Fire campaign with 2 heroes on normal mode and found it challenging (and crazy fun).

Did you play with the modified 2-Player rules where each player gets to either recover 2 HP or get a free non-Action Basic attack at the end of their turn? People seem to miss that sometimes.

Yes we use that rule. It really improves the 2 hero game IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webbe wrote:
slydog75 wrote:

Played both Rise of all Goblins and Kindred Fire solo with 4 heroes on hard and found both extremely easy. Only the first quest of Kindred Fire presented a challenge. I played with the best party I could come up with though.

I get the impression that min-maxing 4 heroes can break the AI.

Also, I was under the impression that hard mode in the end was just perils either quicker and/or hit harder. When I played on Normal mode I think we only had one quest where we had any perils come up at all in any quest in the Kindred Fire campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.