Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An Exception to Discarding Military Cards
I thought I remembered reading a rule which said that if you draw Military Cards for a new Colony acquired during your own Political Event phase, that you don't discard excess Military Cards during that turn. But when I looked for the rule again, I couldn't find it. Is this a real rule?

If it isn't, then does this Variant seem like it has a potential for abuse: "Whenever a Current Event/Colony instructs the current player to draw Military Cards, he doesn't discard excess Military Cards during that turn."

--------------

Upgrading Special Technologies
It seems that it should cost a civilization less research (that is, fewer Science points) to update a Special Technology from an earlier version of the same Technology, than it would cost that civilization to research it from scratch.

E.g., inventing the Strategy tech after already having the Warfare tech should cost less Science than inventing Strategy without first having Warfare.

Proposal: If you already have the Age-I version of a Special Technology, then the Age-II and Age-III versions of the same Special Technology are 3 Science cheaper. If you already have the Age-II version of a Special Technology, then the Age-III version is 5 Science cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash62bill wrote:
An Exception to Discarding Military Cards
I thought I remembered reading a rule which said that if you draw Military Cards for a new Colony acquired during your own Political Event phase, that you don't discard excess Military Cards during that turn. But when I looked for the rule again, I couldn't find it. Is this a real rule?

If it isn't, then does this Variant seem like it has a potential for abuse: "Whenever a Current Event/Colony instructs the current player to draw Military Cards, he doesn't discard excess Military Cards during that turn."
That was the old version. With the change in when excess military cards are discarded, this rule no longer exists.

Smash62bill wrote:
Upgrading Special Technologies
It seems that it should cost a civilization less research (that is, fewer Science points) to update a Special Technology from an earlier version of the same Technology, than it would cost that civilization to research it from scratch.

E.g., inventing the Strategy tech after already having the Warfare tech should cost less Science than inventing Strategy without first having Warfare.

Proposal: If you already have the Age-I version of a Special Technology, then the Age-II and Age-III versions of the same Special Technology are 3 Science cheaper. If you already have the Age-II version of a Special Technology, then the Age-III version is 5 Science cheaper.
I understand what you're saying, but other technologies don't have their cost reduced if a lower one has been discovered. I see your point, though, since cost to upgrade for other techs are reduced, why not the science in blue techs? Would this extend to governments, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliallison wrote:
Smash62bill wrote:
I thought I remembered reading a rule which said that if you draw Military Cards for a new Colony acquired during your own Political Event phase, that you don't discard excess Military Cards during that turn.

That was the old version. With the change in when excess military cards are discarded, this rule no longer exists.

Ah. That's where I saw it, then. Thank you.

aliallison wrote:
Smash62bill wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but other technologies don't have their cost reduced if a lower one has been discovered. I see your point, though, since cost to upgrade for other techs are reduced, why not the science in blue techs? Would this extend to governments, too?

With Government technologies it gets messy: revolutions vs. peaceful reductions; and identifying the evolutionary political lines--Monarchy to Const. Monarchy, Theocracy to Fundamentalism, Republic to Democracy, Despotism to Communism.

Maybe the only workable way would be to decrease the science cost of Peaceful transitions only, and only for the four transitions I listed above, maybe reducing their cost by 3 Science. (A neat bit of chrome, but for little impact.)

With the Special Technologies, however, I think it'd open up more paths for advancement and make them more desirable drafts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Stevens
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash62bill wrote:
With the Special Technologies, however, I think it'd open up more paths for advancement and make them more desirable drafts.

One problem I see here would be that it makes them too deseriable to draft. In the game as printed, once another player gets an age I blue tech and I am thus denied it, the second age blue tech is more likely to come to me, as my opponent has a lower desire to take it, I'm pretty sure this is a design intention to make it easier to get a tech you don't have and then to balance out the features of your empire more easily.

Your variant should work fine, it won't really harm the game and might help the way you want things to feel, but I figured I would just point out that the way it is in the rules does serve a good purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyles Breecher
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What about getting a civil action back when you research a blue tech you already have? (Like when replacing leaders). It makes thematic sense too--you still require the same amount invested into science, but your civilization is just able to do it faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.