Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt Express: The Time Travel Car

The Colt Express Time Travel Car is a promotional expansion given away by Ludonaute at various events since 2015, following the Spiel des Jahres success of Colt Express. The rules, (available here http://www.ludonaute.fr/colt-express-promo-the-time-travel-c...) make no mention of the inspiration for the component but none is needed. As you all know already, this is an homage to the iconic DeLorean and the climactic finale of the Back to The Future series.

What you get
The expansion consists of one punchboard containing all the parts needed to build the car. It is of the same stock and well designed construction as the original Colt Express train. Construction is as quick and simple as before and once constructed, the car is as solid as the rest of the original train - there is potential for some parts to slip out of place but nothing a dab of simple wood or super glue wouldn't fix. It's not easy to fit into the original box with the original insert, but there is plenty of space for it in the Colt Express: Horses & Stagecoach box.

How it works
If you've seen Back to the Future Part III, you'll know how this works. And why would you get this if you weren't a fan?
Instinctively, you'll say it goes at the front of the train, and you'll be right.

At the end of a turn, if there is one meeple in the car, that player gets to hide the time-travelling meeple under any other carriage of the train whilst the other players look away. On the Schemin' phase that player get to play their action cards without anyone knowing their meeple's location. At the start of the next Stealin' phase, the meeple appears inside the carriage they're hidden under and the cards are acted out.

There are a few clarifications on the rulesheet for things like Marshall and Stagecoach movement and punching into the car, but that's it. One little sheet.

Worth it?
If you can get this at a reasonable price, you like Colt Express and most of your players know the Back to the Future franchise, this'll be a hit.
The greatest joy of this expansion, as I mentioned earlier, is that when you introduce it to anyone who knows the film, the setup and rules will be learnt in seconds. It's incredibly thematic, it'll get your group quoting lines from the film, humming bits of Alan Silvestri's soundtrack and the simple 'hide-your-meeple' mechanic adds to the chaos that is a game of Colt Express.

Games of Colt Express tend to have 'focus points', for example the carriage where most of the players find themselves and a massive multi-turn fight ensues, or perhaps multiple players will all go for the strong box in the Locomotive. This adds another focus point, as everyone wants to try out the sneaky time-travel move into the perfect location. At lower player counts this extra focus point may dilute the game a little and actually reduce the conflict that provides most of the fun in this game. At higher player counts it's perfect at adding to the confusion.

One final point, forgetting the game for a moment, the component itself looks wonderful on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
It's incredibly thematic, it'll get your group quoting lines from the film, humming bits of John Williams Alan Silvestri's soundtrack and the simple 'hide-your-meeple' mechanic adds to the chaos that is a game of Colt Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigland wrote:
InappropriateAndy wrote:
It's incredibly thematic, it'll get your group quoting lines from the film, humming bits of John Williams Alan Silvestri's soundtrack and the simple 'hide-your-meeple' mechanic adds to the chaos that is a game of Colt Express.

You are absolutely correct! All my life I've thought it was Williams. I shall correct the original post and leave this one to remind me to hang my head in shame blush Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Robison
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought this online. Can't wait to get it to the table. Thanks for the review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.