Seasons» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts on overpowered or too nasty cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few cards that we've removed from our game because we don't like them. Problem solved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've removed some of the cards from my deck. One is Thieving Fairies. I don't think they're OP, but they do make the game incredibly un-fun for your opponent. Temporal Boots is one that I have removed from the deck for being OP. If an opponent has 1-2 and an Amsug or 2, he basically skip the entire last round of the game and usually ends up being something like this for your opponent:

-15 points for 3 cards in hand
15 - 40 opportunity cost of the prestige value of cards not played
10 - 50 opportunity cost of the crystals gained from their effects

No card should cause such a differential in points.

Then I've removed 2 cards for being too weak/boring: Steadfast Die and Sid Nightshade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only card I've removed due to being annoying is the "hot potato" familiar (can't remember him). He came out the second turn of my first game and just added a drag onto the game. Then one turn after we got rid of him, his brother came out.

I did play one game where a player drafted two cards that basically gave her 2 crystals each time anyone activated a card - and I was activating at least two cards per turn. We shouldn't have let her get them, lesson learned. (might have been the thieving fairies.)

Other that that, I leave everything in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kairn the Destroyer is a card that causes the most consternation. If people might be annoyed by having all their crystals destroyed, I would advise removing it. I know that people argue that Kairn is not the most efficient way to win, but the effect of the card on a game with new players can be devastating, and you might not get a second play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While some of these might be good to set aside when teaching the game, I would argue against permanently removing cards.

This is a game where your knowledge of the cards is going to impact your success rate. It's the type of game that lends itself to repeated play with experienced opponents. As a result, regular players are going to each have their chance drafting and playing those cards perceived as more powerful.

When you're up against a slightly better deck, you'll just be more challenged for that game. You're unlikely to be repeatedly outmatched because of one or two cards. Besides, how much better is the win going to feel when you are in that situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I can't really argue the power of TF, as it is a first-pick, auto-draft almost whenever it shows up.

And, yes, Seasons does get old. It's one of the few in my collection I consistently return to, but only with sufficient breaks between games. The reason for that comes down to the amount of luck and randomness. Neither is a bad thing, although I would enjoy the game more is both were toned down somehow. The strategy is nowhere near as tight as something like Race for the Galaxy, for example, though the benefit of memorizing card relationships bears comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.