BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: How to make homemade hex tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Generic-Game-Pieces [+] [View All]
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning on using cardboard as stock. I thought I wold make them roughly Settlers sized.

Any suggestions for creating uniform, hex tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to make homemade hex tiles
Here goes...

Six precisely measured 120 degree interior angles and six precisely rendered congruent sides.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Glass-Siegel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a few extra hexes for Settlers (looks like I've made 10). I just made sure that the images I printed out, to glue to the cardboard, had easy to see edges. Then I could just cut on the lines. I didn't work at it too hard though so some of them are a little uneven, but they are all close enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can draw an accurate hexagon by taking a compass and drawing a circle with a radius equal to the desired length of one of the sides of your eventual hexagon. Then put the point of the compass anywhere on the edge of the circle and mark the points where the new circle intersects the old one. Then put the point of the compass on the intersections and repeat a couple of times. You'll find that that you've divided the original circle in six parts. Take a ruler and connect the intersections. Voila, a perfect hexagon.

The hard part is cutting it out using a steel ruler and craft knife. If anyone has an idea how to do that more easily, I'd love to hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZirkvandenBerg wrote:
The hard part is cutting it out using a steel ruler and craft knife. If anyone has an idea how to do that more easily, I'd love to hear.

Use a really sharp knife and angle it slightly into the ruler as you cut. Make sure you press down hard on the ruler as you cut and you should get a nice straight line.

That's the technique I used to cut out my Martian Chessboard pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get hex templates of various sizes in scrapbooking and some art stores. The scrapbookers have various die cut machines with interchangeable dies, you might be able to find a hex one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be useful:

http://www.incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

Someone from BGG posted this a while back but afraid I can't find the original thread

Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you're not afraid of using a command line interface there is an open source app called mkhexgrid http://www.nomic.net/~uckelman/mkhexgrid/. Although it might be of more use for maps rather than pieces you can still use the output as an overlay in Photoshop, Illustrator, Inkscape or The Gimp.

I'd also suggest reading through this page: http://www.viktorygame.com/viktoryiihistory/ which details some of the different methods you can use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to make Settlers-sized hexagons?

1. Take a hexagon tile from Settlers.
2. Place it on cardboard.
3. Using a pencil, draw the outline of the hexagon tile on the cardboard.
4. Use a ruler and sharp knife (or better yet, a metal ruler and hand-held rotary cutter) to cut out the hexagon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know people keep saying "knife" but I've used scissors in cutting out projects for my game, and find that if they are nice and sharp they work quite well, and are much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Spontelli
United States
MANSFIELD
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/dfwgames/
badge
Okay, let's start the meeting. My name is Ken, and I'm a Tichu addict.
mbmbmbmbmb
TaleSpinner wrote:
Want to make Settlers-sized hexagons?

1. Take a hexagon tile from Settlers.
2. Place it on cardboard.
3. Using a pencil, draw the outline of the hexagon tile on the cardboard.
4. Use a ruler and sharp knife (or better yet, a metal ruler and hand-held rotary cutter) to cut out the hexagon.

I'll tell you that the system above works very well and that the rotary cutter makes the top edge of the hex nicely rounded over. They come out with an edge that looks die cut and very professional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And you can use my program called DrawHexGrid at http://cryhavocgames.net/Tutorials_Utilities.htm which has a Q & A style windows interface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used this for magnetic battlelore. http://www.creative-memories.com/MainMenu/Our-products-and-s...

It's a little small for settlers but SUPER fast for any hex project from scratch. For $20 bucks though you have to have big plans for it. I'm planning to do a travel Hive and Settlers eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just need a few, buy the 5-6 player expansion of Settlers. 15 tiles for $13 from most online retailers, that is less than a buck a tile. You might even find a copy of Settlers at a thrift store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a great response!

Thanks for the ideas. I'm trying to prototype a game idea. I want a constructable terrain similar to Settlers or TWI3. I thnk they each have hexs that are large enough to accomodate the stuff I want to put on them. My current plans call for about 60+ of these things. Yikes! That is alot of cutting.

I am hoping for as accurately reproduced hexs as possible as it will help the board to cohere.

One idea I had had was to make a metal template and use that to cut the hexs. Obviously it would take alot of work to get the template accurate, but I thought that might simplify subsquent cardboard cuttings.

Has anyone ever tried to make a homemade die?

Those of you who have sent the helpful links to programs to print the hexs, did you print them on a standard printer or take it to a print shop? I have little (almost no) extra funds for this labor of love...

Keep the ideas coming in!

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A print shop isn't going to get things significantly more acurate than a home printer. The only reason to use a print shop would be for large paper sizes or for some equipment you don't have (i.e. rotary paper trimmer, laminating machine, large number of multiple copies)

As far as a homenade die, unless you have access to a buddy metal worker, it sounds expensive.

The creative memories punch above makes 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" hexes. I had to get creative on how to handle the units in BattleLore but I'm happy with the result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A print shop would, on the other hand, be able to save you from inhaling some of the spray adhesive fumes by having them print directly on to card stock.

Although it's probably not a cost that you'd want to incur for an early prototype the colours would also be more correct.

I assume you've looked through all of the advice at http://www.bgdf.com/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Making+Bits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.accucut.com/Hexagon-p3383c132-path0.html?

There's some larger hex cutting dies at accucut.

$25 for the die and $275 for the die cutting machine.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santeler wrote:
I am planning on using cardboard as stock. I thought I wold make them roughly Settlers sized.

Any suggestions for creating uniform, hex tiles?

You might want to get in touch with John Tamplin over at www.deepthoughtgames.com. He sells a number of 18xx titles (*lots* of hex tiles) made on a 'cottage industry' basis (that's not meant to sound disparaging, I struggled for the right term), and might be able to advise you on appropriate equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Morrison, designer of Viktory II, produces the game himself. The game includes lots of cardboard hexes (about 1.5 inches, I think). He has a fantastic "making of" section on his website. The part about the map hexes is here:

http://www.viktorygame.com/viktoryiihistory/#improvedhex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made more than a few hexagons in my time for various games. E.g. I made Setters from wooden ones:

I've also made cardboard ones which I feel are a bit easier to get accurate. However, I'll start with a comment about accuracy: it isn't vital. The hexes will still fit together fine when there is a modicum of error. Now on to the building bit...

For wooden ones, make an initial template from timber. Take extra care doing this and mark it in an very obvious fashion. Then for each hex, use the template to mark out. Either mark the verticies and join with a straight edge or draw all the way around the hex. The former is probably the more consistent.

For cardboard ones, print off hexes on paper, glue together and cut with sissors, a hobby knife and straight edge or a paper cutter. You could use a template and cut method as for timber here, I just haven't tride that yet.

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I want to believe. -- FOX MULDER
badge
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. --DANA SCULLY
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm late to the party, but in case someone finds this again, you might try something like this:

http://www.deko-tile.com/products/3-inch-hexagon-brushed-woo...

Which is wooden floor tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Tew
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Use compasses to draw them out if you don't have any CAD software, although it's worth noting that AutoCAD has a free education license if you are a student or teacher, and a free trial for 30 days which should be long enough if you are ready to go.

Here's how to draw them by hand, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFd8J9NVfFg

once drawn photocopy for consistent size, mount on your board then cut carefully with scalpel and ruler.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Battle for Biternia - Kerrick
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a hex punch that works well for smaller hexes. It's made by a company called Creative Memories. I'm not sure if they make punches for larger hexes, like you're looking for, but it's worth checking out, as it's really convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wheatley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Hello
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexagons are so eight years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.