Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello peeps,

I'm about to introduce this game into my family but they are not gamers neither they know the concepts of drafting cards.
But alas, I'll not play with draft rules, I'll use the draw12-pick9 variant for now.

What I really want to achieve is the best way to show how this game works because cards are the core of this game and you have to pick them before you play the game. For a first timer is really difficult to judge how or what cards are needed to pick and used through years #1 #2 and #3.

So, what's the ideal way to teach this game? Show some gameplay examples and then proceed to card picking? Used a pre-determined set of cards for each player?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook has suggestions for sets of cards to use for the first game and those work pretty good to teach the game, I would try it with those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Girts Perkons
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
Trying to be as honest as one can be!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:
The rulebook has suggestions for sets of cards to use for the first game and those work pretty good to teach the game, I would try it with those.

I second it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use the suggested decks for new players, even when playing with experienced gamers who are playing the game for the first time.

With experienced gamers I don't restrict the draw deck to cards 1-30 for their first game. With non-gamers I will just use 1-30 as suggested

Seems to work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want them to enjoy the game, you should consider pre-creating a deck of cards for each player. Give them cards that are powerful (but not complex to remember/administer). Make sure your own hand is weaker than their hands...so that they have a good chance of wining the game.

Then have them randomly choose one of the hands that you've pre-created for them.

This means you get rid of the draft altogether. The draft is a great part of the game, but if you don't know the cards, the draft is slow and frustrating. Even after reading the cards for the first time, they'll have a hard time discerning which are more powerful than others. I would even suggest that you determine their phase 1-2-3 cards. So when they sit down to play, they just pick up 3 cards and start rolling dice. It will be a quicker more enjoyable session for a 1st time player. By the time they learn their 1st 3 cards, they'll pick up their next 3.

Finally, get physical crystals to add a tactile piece to the game which is sorely missing. See this post: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16786769#16786769

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.