Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is surprising how many fantasy worlds make it into board gaming circles. Fo course each of us could name a dozen, yet the number of historical games far outweigh the fanatsy games. It is for this reason that I always look favourably on fantasy games. Others that have pleased my eye lately include both Hermagor and A Game of Thrones, though the later appeals because of its book series.

El grande meets fairy tale is an adequate description but in general I dislike sayign a game is just like "...". I would rather hear that is the same machanic as in ... Now there are some very good exceptions like tikal and mexica which just reak of each other in my opinion, and one should not be surprised as they are part of the same trilogy. Either way the drafting here is identical to Fairy tale and I think it is a fantastic mechanism to use.

Each player starts with six cards from which one is selected and the rest passed to the person on the left. The result is a balanced approach which evens out a lot of the luck. For fairness the author has also decreed that the player with the best card in their hand also starts the round (a disadvantage) so the card allocation is as fair as it can be. This is a big plus, and I didn't hear anyone complaining that they didn't get a fair run of cards. Fairness and customisation adequately describe how well this works. In addition there are three tiers of cards (gold silver and bronze) which helps you determine their value.

This is an area control game with cards providing the constraints around where you can play and with what abilities. The customisation of the deck allows you to focus on just one region or multiple of the three regions. Controlling areas scores points which increase as you control multiple areas. There are also points gained (indirectly) by controling areas in all three regions, and the mechanics allow for both paths to victory. Our first play resulted in a balanced strategy being most successful.

The nordic theme of vikings in midgard works well in general but a couple of the game play elements break down. When destroyed warriors go to Valhalla and reneter the game next turn, they are gone for that turn. Yet warriors can asend to Asgard and heaven yet be killed subsequently and then go to Valhalla. This was just a little too difficult for me but berhaps the mythological elements work, someone is bound to explain it to me. Still it is by the by and I enjoyed both the artwork and the theme and it gave me a good feeling. The criticism I have is over the diagrams on the cards dipicting what the cards do. There were a couple of times where the diagrams seemed not to match the words and rules clarifications were necessary.

The winning of the game was in balance and timing. There is something of a supply and demand mecahnism operating here and there are gains to be made if you can focus on areas where others are not. It is also important to remember all the ways of scoring because there are many and utilise them all. I don't think this is a game where you run a particular strategy and your sucess depends on how well you do it. I think it a game where you take what the game gives you and work with it.

Overall I would like to give it a nine but I will safely give it an eight and hope my next exepreience is as fun. It may have been heavy first up but it will lighten dramtically in the second play and I think this could be one I will definitely consider as a medium game especially with my teenage nephew in mind. It is just great for teenage boys. Maybe my enjoyment indicates I am really still a teenage boy at heart ... does that ever change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's Area Majority, not Area Control.

You rate the game highly and provide valid reasons - I have no issue with that, it's your opinion after all.

Based on our single game: I really dislike Midgard the more I think of it. The theme was painfully weak, the art is terrible (non-existent?) the card-drafting uninspired and above all the game just failed to be fun. There's a point where a Euro just becomes too dry, and this game is way beyond that. Sorry but it bored me to tears and I can think of fifty games I'd rather play instead.

I truly hope it works well with your nephew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meowsqueak wrote:
I can think of fifty games I'd rather play instead.

I can think of x>50 where x=games

That was my token use of algebra for 2007.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guttedgeek
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork in the game certainly didn't match that on the box which was odd. Scant theme and bland artwork aside, I enjoyed this game and would happily play again but it wouldn't rate as a favorite.

I liked the drafting myself - lots of difficult choices to make which in most cases mean you can improve your position beyond what is typical of such a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed the board artwork does contrast the box cover and not everyone likes it. I don't. A friend of mine does.

That said, everyone I've played the game with enjoyed it a lot, some even requested to play it again immediately. I like it a lot myself too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Collins
Canada
flag msg tools
guttedgeek wrote:
The artwork in the game certainly didn't match that on the box which was odd.

The outer box artwork was done with permission from an artist, can't remember his name that I believe was found through google or a similar search engine. The artwork on the cards and on the board was done by the creators (Eric M Lang) partner and room mate at the time (George Wu) on his computer through a photoshop-esque program. Two different artists, hense why the outer box art and the inner art doesn't match.

I'm just happy the graphics improved from what we had during playtesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.