BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games with traitor mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
Hello,

My friends dislike pure coop games but are in love with Dead Of Winter because of the traitor mechanic. Any good other games with traitor mechanic?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Shadows over Camelot for an obvious one. I like it, but I think that DoW does the traitor mechanism better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game has a traitor aspect that's close to Dead of Winter's (even much better in my mind).

It's everyone against the board, but the traitor is out to kill everyone and escape. Problem is, the Aliens keep attacking everyone. The traitor has to balance letting the Aliens loose on the other players, and keeping the Alien population down so HE can survive them too.

Nerver mind players actually being killed by facehuggers and becoming Alien players themselves in the middle of the game, changing side. Happens rarely, but it happens.

The Resistance is a game that's all about finding the spys in your group. One of the quickest traitor games out there that focuses almost exclusively on the traitor mechanic (plays in 20 minutes).

Shadows over Camelot is a classic in the genre.

Battlestar Galactica is another one... but it's long to play and the game is not aging very well.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf, if you want a game with traitors that plays in 5 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Battlestar Galactica is another one... but it's long to play and the game is not aging very well.

Why isn't BSG aging well? With 200+ plays, it is aging very well for us (and with our experience and routine, a game with all expansions to Kobol takes around 2-2.5 hours, except when it takes 1.5 or 3 hours). Best with 5 players, but with Cylon Leader Motives from Daybreak the 4-player game is quite good and encourages us to play even when there are just 4 players (or rarely 6). Also you will never get the same game twice.

BSG is my top pick, then there are other longer and shorter traitor and hidden team games.

Shadows over Camelot didn't work for us.

+1 ONUWW. (Not really a Werewolf game. You need to find out who you might be before you can decide who to vote for.)

See also He's Lying...Trust Me: A Comprehensive List of Traitor-ish Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, Battlestar Galactica is superb. It is a long game, sure, but the time is spent well.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
deedob wrote:

Why isn't BSG aging well? With 200+ plays, it is aging very well for us (and with our experience, a game to Kobol takes around 2 hours). Best with 5 players, but with Cylon Leader Motives from Daybreak the 4-player game is quite good and encourages us to play even when there are just 4 players. You will never get the same kind of game.

BSG is my top pick, then there are other longer and shorter traitor and hidden team games.

Shadows over Camelot didn't work for us.

+1 ONUWW. (Not really a Werewolf game. You need to find out who you might be before you can decide who to vote for.)

See also He's Lying...Trust Me: A Comprehensive List of Traitor-ish Games.

BSG is a convoluted game. Lots of rules, lots of submechanics, long and hard to teach. It was made when FFG was still trying to put monster games out there which had tons of moving parts. A time when FFG put out Runewars, Twilight Imperium 3 and Arkham Horror.
FFG has now learned to streamline their games. Making them much simpler to learn and having less problematic interactions between it's more disjointed mechanics. It has learned that complexity of rules does not represent depth of gameplay. It just gives the illusion of depth.

If FFG put out BSG 2nd edition today, you'd have the same exact choices and the same depth of gameplay, with a rules manual half it's size and half the required play-time. No one would talk about 1st edition ever again.

Can you still have fun with the 1st edition? Sure... it's still a good game. But again, it's mechanics are not aging well in the face of the more modern and streamlined games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Room 25 is a short one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at House on the Hill maybe? only a couple of "missions" use the hidden traitor tho so the paranoia in this game isn't nearly as prevelant as in the other games mentioned here but, great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica is one of my favorite games of all time! It is so much fun, but it is a little long, which I don't mind. However, Dark Moon is a game that was known as BSG Express (PnP). It looks pretty fun and plays in A LOT less time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's the upcoming Traitor Mechanic: The Traitor Mechanic Game. On the surface it's a coop where all the players are working together at a garage scoring points by fixing cars. But one of the players is secretly working for a rival company and is trying to drive the garage out of business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.