Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Came back from Essen with my loot, working now on getting everything in its place.

So I bought a copy of the El Razul mini-expansion for Finca. What better place to put it in than in the Finca box? So I open the box and find a copy of the expansion already there. Must have bought it last year, and forgotten about it.

Oh, well. That happens. I continue, and take my copy of Snowdonia from the shelf, so that I can put the Wagons mini-expansion in there. I open the lid and ... Heyyy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't you add it to your "Own"-list here on BGG? Did you not crosscheck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
No, my list of games owned is way out of date.

Edit: I know that there are enough ways to avoid things like this happening, and keeping the collection registered here correctly would help a lot. My opening post was not a complaint, or a cry for help, or for tips to organise my things better, though. It was just a funny thing (well, I thought that it was funny) that I wanted to share with you.

And BTW, an up-to-date collection list here wouldn't have helped me avoid building the Snowdonia expansion - the halls in Essen have no Wifi, so I could not look it up anyway.
Should be better next year, though, when the extortionate prices for roaming abroad are abolished.

Edit 2: The text of the first edit was added after Thunkd's post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
No, my list of games owned is way out of date.
Sounds like you're getting disorganized more than you're getting old. Time to do an inventory, update your BGG owned list and start being diligent about keeping it up to date.

I've always had a bad memory, which is why I depend on outsourcing it to lists and databases rather than trying to pretend I have some chance of remembering anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another one : at Spiel we come across the Old Saloon expansion for Bang : the dice game and buy it. Back at home we discover we actually already bought it - 2 weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also a sign that it's time to replay more games. I guess you bought those and didn't use them more than once (or at all), so it made them easier to forget.

Now, if you are more a collector than a gamer and care more about completion than use (nothing wrong with that) then you need to get better at inventoring your stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny M
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally found the humour in this. laugh

If this isn't a sign your acquisition disorder is in overdrive, I don't know what is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
Should be better next year, though, when the extortionate prices for roaming abroad are abolished.

Oh, yeah. Here in germany, we already have some providers with really reasonable deals for EU data roaming (i.e. €5/month to be able to use your regular limits in pretty much all of europe with 0 extra charges). That is such a huge difference to the crazy prices before.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, you're not alone... I once bought an expansion for a game that I didn't own. I forgot that I'd traded it a couple months earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought an expansion for Kingsburg to find out that I already had it. Someone got it for some GeekGold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
FWIW, I also have two and a half copy of Eclipse: Ship Pack One, but that is completely intentional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done this with books before. I grabbed Planetary volume 2 a few years ago, eagerly sat down to read it and discovered.... heyy....these stories are familiar... sure enough, there it was sitting on my bookshelf.

I gave it to a friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:
I've done this with books before. I grabbed Planetary volume 2 a few years ago, eagerly sat down to read it and discovered.... heyy....these stories are familiar... sure enough, there it was sitting on my bookshelf.

I gave it to a friend.

Yeah I have done this with books many times. I have way more books than board games and I have a few rare books I'm still looking for and once in awhile I think I have found one but it turns out to be a rare one I did manage to already find. I used to carry a list around in my car to prevent this from happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep a log of my books read, both on Goodreads and in Excel, to prevent re-reading a book. (It's not 100%). I get most of my books from the county library book sale so I totally get duplicates (sometimes at the same time) but they're a nickel each so I'm not too worried.

I have re-bought games that I sold/traded before.

Only time I can recall getting the same game is when I had two online orders process before i could cancel one of them, and it wasn't worth paying ten bucks to return ship it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never inadvertently bought something I already had, but sometimes I forget that I own some expansion if I have played it just once or twice. Just the other day, while browsing, I came across a pair of expansions for Small World that made me go and check if I owned them. But the best (worst) case was when someone was going to play Dungeon Petz with the expansion, and I said that I didn't even knew there was an expansion - which, of course, I already owned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Right now there are four jars of the exact same kind of pickles in my house all bought separately because I was worried we were out of pickles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Estevo
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
Berebekan Katabamba, Berebekan Katabamba, Berebekan Katabamba...... Kikerá!!!!
badge
Venha Monstro! Spadium Laser!
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, that happens to me with toilet paper!

shumyum wrote:
Right now there are four jars of the exact same kind of pickles in my house all bought separately because I was worried we were out of pickles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago, I bought Theseus: The Dark Orbit in Essen. Back then I wasn't a really big board gamer. Interested, but not on BGG or anything.
When I found out about the BGG store, my completionist tendencies hit and I ordered more or less everything they had for every game I owned. My order didn't arrive for a few months, so I mailed the BGG store and they resent it. When it finally arrived and I went to put Theseus: The Dark Orbit – Space Station Cards in the box, I saw I already had it.
Of course another couple of months later, the original shipment actually arrived, so now I have three (since sending it back would cost more than the original order).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
Not just that you thought you were out of them... you were worried. This implies that a lack of pickles is some kind of crisis or dire circumstance. You must really love your pickles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
Came back from Essen with my loot, working now on getting everything in its place.

So I bought a copy of the El Razul mini-expansion for Finca. What better place to put it in than in the Finca box? So I open the box and find a copy of the expansion already there. Must have bought it last year, and forgotten about it.

Oh, well. That happens. I continue, and take my copy of Snowdonia from the shelf, so that I can put the Wagons mini-expansion in there. I open the lid and ... Heyyy!

Thanks for making me feel less old, as this has never happened to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:

Feel your pain buddy.

In my 50s, the memory ain't as sharp as it used to be. Then add in a biggish game collection...

Right now I'm wondering if I still have a copy of Bora Bora. Totally not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Karlsson
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought a copy of Nations the dice game two weeks ago on a trip to Copenhagen, punched it at the hotel and started to read the rules. Sounded very familiar but I know I hade the regular game so thought nothing of it. Went to BGG to add it as owned. I had it AND have played it, although once 2015-07-07.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What really shockingly hits home that you're getting old is when you find that card text which you previously had no problem reading is suddenly getting blurry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Cult Cargo: Belize City Boil Up
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Sounds like you're getting disorganized more than you're getting old.

There's a linkage between the two. I used to have an exceptional memory, but over the last decade (I'm 66 now) it has eroded to a noticeable degree. Disorganization follows as a side effect; I need more formal methods now to keep track of things I "just knew" when I was younger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never done this with board games. Books, on the other hand, I've done this multiple times. Probably not for the last time. Not a big deal though, I just resell them to the used bookstore or gift them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.