Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im looking to add a racing game to my wish list to add in 2017. I'm vaguely familiar with the games listed below, but am I missing any? What's your favorite racing game and why?

Formula D
Thunder Alley
Grand Prix
Race! Formula 90

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have Formula D and Thunder Alley, and while I enjoy both, I definitely prefer Thunder Alley at this point. It feels more strategic while still capturing the thematic chaos of racing, and is much more interesting than Formula D at lower player counts.

Rallyman, Automobiles, and the upcoming Championship Formula Racing are racing games on my wishlist it seems you've missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert on racing games, but unless car racing is a must, I think Snow Tails looks really fun.

Of the games you mentioned, I've only played Race! I like it, but have only played it in my youth and am not sure if it still holds up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rallaman and Rallyman: Dirt is where it's at if you don't mind the fact that you are racing the clock. There is an active Rallyman community with monthly races that follow the real WRC.

Thunder Alley is great fun as well. I like the team dynamic it provides managing 4 cars. Yellow flags keep things interesting as well.

Haven't played Grand Prix yet but it is on my wishlist as I already have the track expansion for Thunder Alley and a couple of those are road courses compatible with Grand Prix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pojopep wrote:
Rallaman and Rallyman: Dirt is where it's at if you don't mind the fact that you are racing the clock. There is an active Rallyman community with monthly races that follow the real WRC.

Thunder Alley is great fun as well. I like the team dynamic it provides managing 4 cars. Yellow flags keep things interesting as well.

Haven't played Grand Prix yet but it is on my wishlist as I already have the track expansion for Thunder Alley and a couple of those are road courses compatible with Grand Prix.

That's interesting. So are Grand Prix and Thunder Alley comparable with each other? I can have an oval F1 race and a road course NASCAR race?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:
That's interesting. So are Grand Prix and Thunder Alley comparable with each other? I can have an oval F1 race and a road course NASCAR race?

Yes, the tracks are fully interchangeable between the two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried several and the only one I really enjoy is

Snow Tails.

Don't be deceived by its silly theme. It's a brain burner. The puzzle element in the decisions you make are really fun. And putting together a win is very satisfying. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
The new print coming out of Winner's Circle looks amazing. Obviously would not fit if you were strictly looking for car racing. Still a racing game though. There is a chariot race game on kickstarter right now too. Chariot Race

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really a fan of racing games, but here are my top three:

Speed Circuit - An oldie, but a goodie. Simple rules, yet deterministic movement. The board is pretty ugly by today's standards, but I'm sure there are others you can download by now.

Snow Tails - Very clever with how you determine speed and movement around corners. It can be a little mathy for my tastes, but I really enjoy this game. You can also design your own tracks.

Hot Rod Creeps - Mario Kart: The Board Game, basically. Race around a track, fling things at your opponents, and get upgrades along the way. Probably not the most serious racing game, but a very fun one. You can design your own tracks, but the track pieces are on the flimsy side.

FWIW, Thunder Alley was pretty dry to me, though if you have an interest in Nascar you'll probably enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Speed Circuit - An oldie, but a goodie. Simple rules, yet deterministic movement. The board is pretty ugly by today's standards, but I'm sure there are others you can download by now.

This is being reprinted as Championship Formula Racing next month. I'm excited to give it a shot when I get the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Emu Prime wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

This is being reprinted as Championship Formula Racing next month. I'm excited to give it a shot when I get the chance.

Oh wow, sweet! Thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carabande
Mississippi Queen, especially with The Black Rose expansion

A few others that I like fairly well:
Powerboats
Automobiles
Snow Tails
Steampunk Rally
Bisikle

Though, based on the 4 games you mentioned, do you mean specifically a racing game with race cars?

I guess that Carabande and Automobiles would still fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
Carabande
Mississippi Queen, especially with The Black Rose expansion

A few others that I like fairly well:
Powerboats
Automobiles
Snow Tails
Steampunk Rally
Bisikle

Though, based on the 4 games you mentioned, do you mean specifically a racing game with race cars?

I guess that Carabande and Automobiles would still fit.

Yeah, I'm going for more of an auto racing game. Preferably open wheel racing, but not a deal breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if your dead set on car racing but we also enjoy Jamaica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Surprised nobody's mentioned PitchCar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of an oddball suggestion, but even though I'm normally not a fan of racing games, I found Circus Minimus quite enjoyable. As the name suggests, it's a streamlined version of the old (and much more popular) Circus Maximus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snow Tails and Steampunk Rally would be my picks.

Unique mechanics, and variable maps.

I have formula d, and I find the fixed maps limiting for replayability. It is an older game now, so I think there are more recent games that are more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.