11 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session report of first couple of missions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
As someone lucky enough to have received the game 19/10/16, and have a wife kind enough to have already played through the first 2 missions with me I thought I finally stop lurking and give something back to the BGG community!

I apologise if this isn’t any good- it’s my first time!!- Also I’m not a person who can invent a good story around a game so it won’t be as brill as some of other amazing session reports other do, but here goes!
FIRSTLY: SPOILER ALERT: This report will contain details of the story and first 2 missions in the campaign: including strategies we used to WIN!! I don’t imagine there is anything ground breaking below and most will have seen the ideas of these 2 missions on reviews: But just thought I better warn people!

Date: 19/10/16
Venue: Kitchen table, My House, Devon, England, UK
Players: Me: Heimerdinger, Wife: Tristana
We were using the soundtrack and radio play supplied on the mechs vs minions’ website.

Tutorial

We initially watched the short video giving the overview of how to program your mech found on the MvM page, this gave my wife (who knew nothing about the game beforehand pretty much all the info she needed to get started!)

We then listened to the radio play, it gives a nice little bit of extra scenery to the game and despite my sense of humour not usually appreciative of slapstick, obvious jokes, I actually found myself smiling more than once! The best thing about the radio play is the way it introduces the next mission without you having to open up anything: for example we stopped at the end of the second mission: but without opening the next dossier we have a pretty good idea what we are going to be up against in mission 3, and can look forward to it!

The tutorial was as easy as you’d expect. In the first draft we both picked up a ripsaw I think and all crystals were smashed by the end of 2 rounds of executing our command lines. Then the fun starts a bit… suddenly minions spawned over the map and we had to take them out. Again easily done but felt like we getting in the spirit.

Mission 1

With the discovery that Rumble has been powering his lab with a bomb: and what looks like a WW2 naval mine. We were tasked with dragging the ticking explosive out of the school to a nearby repair pad. Our plan was simple: my wife would long range sniper the marauding minions from long range with rip-saws and I would push/tow the bomb up the field to the pad. All started well… the initial draft got me an omnistomp and speed allowing me to land in the spot right next to the bomb ready to tow it up the field… and my wife got her rip-saw and another movement card and dutifully started “covering” me. Smug was I in our assured victory as all I had to do now was continue in a straight line to the repair pad and victory was ours… However it was then that I realised that my speed would allow me to tow the bomb (having 2 movement)… but omnistomp would then force me to not only not move the bomb… but also move away from it where towing was impossible! Our only hope for a quick assured victory was if another omnistomp came up in the draft, allowing me to increase movement from 1 to 2 thereby being able to use it as a towing move… completely to our surprise and luck… it did! I carried on my slow drudge up the field pulling the unstable large explosive device behind me! My wife meanwhile had become significantly more deadly and had my left flank almost completely clear of minions!!
The next turn I improved my firepower a bit as I approached a pack of minions… the only option was to go straight through them… this we knew would allow the bomb to take 1 damage… but as all being well victory was only a turn away we adjudged it to be an acceptable loss!! After much thinking and minion destruction… there was no way we could avoid one minion surviving and the moving right next to me to give me a damage (Stupid large bomb and giant mech blocking my wife’s line of sight with her deadly sniping!!) This was the pivotal moment: if the damage somehow sent me running away from the bomb or messed up my command line then our certain easy victory would get considerably harder!! The damage was drawn: swap command slots 2 and 3… that’s fine both just are move forward 2!! A narrow escape! The next turn I continued the last couple of spaces to drop the bomb off on the pad and celebrate our first real victory!!

We really enjoyed this mission: As you can see had a couple of key moments gone a different way it could have ended very differently. It did feel overall quite easy: But I remember playing a game of pandemic with my sister and brother-in-law, for some lucky reason everything lined up perfectly, it was over in about 30 mins and to this day they won’t play another game because it’s “too easy and boring!” I’ve tried to explain this is not usually the case, so I suspect that may well be a bit of what happened here.

The radio play is really good fun and I would highly recommend it as would I recommend the introduction to programing mechs video on the website.

However the soundtrack… I want to be positive… or at least balanced… and I was really excited about it… but it truly is awful!! After 5 mins my wife looked at me and said “can we please turn this off?” I couldn’t have agreed more!! It was just noise… almost as bad as white noise… constantly droning on in the background giving you a headache! I really want to be nicer about it, I appreciate someone went to the trouble of commissioning this… and someone put their artistic talents into making it, and it is not something I could do… but in this case I think our artistic appreciation clashed with the good intensions.

That’s a rough write up… hope you enjoyed it… as I said… I’ve not done this before so feel free to give me some pointers… I had planned to include mission 2 (MUCH HARDER!!!) but have run out of time… I hope this at least keeps the people still waiting for their copies excited! I must say don’t worry it is worth the wait!

Thank you for reading! 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks doclj86!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the report! Hopefully, you will write more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Mudd
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report! Although I didn't read it past the first paragraph. I don't want to spoil my own gaming experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Now I want to hear how Mission 2 went!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrik J
Germany
flag msg tools
I get really impatient while playing board games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
Excellent! Now I want to hear how Mission 2 went!

I had a lot of fun during the Tutorial and the first Mission, but when i read the envelope for the second Mission i became frightened blush

Tried it yesterday with my roommate and we failed hilariously

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the positive feedback!
I've just re-read it and I'm worried it sounds too negative? We really enjoyed it and had a blast!!

Yes I'll hopefully get to write up mission 2... There were some hilarious moments where we were essentially spinning in circles shooting nothing while the minion hordes were descending!! Some spectacular fails... Although also a moment of genius from my wife that saved us from impending failure!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Hughes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doclj86 wrote:
I've just re-read it and I'm worried it sounds too negative? We really enjoyed it and had a blast!!

Yes I'll hopefully get to write up mission 2... There were some hilarious moments where we were essentially spinning in circles shooting nothing while the minion hordes were descending!! Some spectacular fails... Although also a moment of genius from my wife that saved us from impending failure!!

Man the second mission is rough. Are you playing with 2? My group has no idea how we can do it with 3 let alone 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrik J
Germany
flag msg tools
I get really impatient while playing board games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomeIsTheName wrote:
doclj86 wrote:

Man the second mission is rough. Are you playing with 2? My group has no idea how we can do it with 3 let alone 2.

I agree, we tried it with 2 player and had almost no chance.
I think on our next try we will
Spoiler (click to reveal)
get the crystal which is furthest away first, and one mech will stay near the school at all times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually did beat mission 2 with 2 players today.
We had one of the mechs staying close to the school to clean up and the second one went to get the gems with a combination of speed, fuel tanks, sewer and scythe.

Was pretty close at the end with one board basically being completely filled with minions, but we rushed the last gem in before we would have gotten destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yeah 2nd mission is pretty tough: we won 2nd try with 2-player... I'm writing up report now!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.