BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: 39 years ago, the Free Bird crashed and died rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
On Oct. 2, 1977, I went to a concert in my hometown. Nothing unusual about that. Wasn't unusual who I was seeing play either -- I had seen them in 1976 and 1975 in Texas. I just didn't know it was the last time I would see Lynyrd Skynyrd. Their plane crashed three weeks later, on this date, 39 years ago. Six people died, including lead vocalist and lyricist Ronnie Van Zandt, lead guitarist Steve Gaines, and backup singer Cassie Gaines. The band was never the same after that. They were huge in the south and southwest, fusing R&B with rock, Texas swing, and Memphis blues. In their catalog were anti-gun songs, anti-drug songs, and "we like to party hard!" songs.

Maybe the Free Bird crashed and died. Or maybe it just flew so high it escaped us all.

http://us.cnn.com/2016/10/19/entertainment/gallery/tbt-lynyr...

(I know this isn't religion or sex or politics, but Skynyrd were about all of that, and more)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was years before I really paid attention to the lyrics of Saturday Night Special. It was a bold move coming from the south and their main fan base. I have a love/hate relationship with Southern Fried Rock. There have been some great Doom/Stoner bands that fuze that "groove" with Metal, but there are also a ton of Classic Rock bands that I just can't stand to listen to for very long (though better than most pop music still). Skynard has always straddled that line for me. Some songs I hear and I am surprised it is them because I like them so much, others have become ear worms that drive me insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I remember that day. I hadn't gotten into rock yet but some of the kids in junior high with me were understandably upset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and if anybody's interested in modern southern rock, check out Drive-By Truckers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Or red-dirt country bands, like Eli Young Band or the late, lamented Cross Canadian Ragweed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my parents' Beatles-and-ABBA-dominated home, the albums a young grad student who boardered with us brought with him were the seeds of my musical development: LS, Stevie Wonder, Led Zeppelin, Three Dog Night, Clapton, and Frampton. But the song that most drove itself into my brain at the time was this:

I don't listen to much Skynyrd anymore, but Chris Robinson has been my favourite singer-songwriter for a quarter century. That wouldn't have happened without Van Zandt, Powell, Rossington, Billingsley, et al., I'm sure of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Oh and if anybody's interested in modern southern rock, check out Drive-By Truckers.

Just picked up their new album.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.