Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As I get back into ASL I'm aware that a couple of years out of the loop brings both rewards and potential frustrations. What has been so pleasing is to see Yanks has been reprinted and I have a copy on it's way. The frustration is FKaC is out of print and going for silly money on Ebay, which is a shame as I think it will be needed for the upcoming Korea module.

But never mind, there will be much in Korea Forgotten War (I hope!) that I can play with the modules I have, along with the back log of scenarios from said modules.

One thing this situation reiterates to me is that one can't have everything in life, that it's okay to let go of wants and desires, and that given enough time I imagine FKaC will be reprinted even if it's five years from now. Patience is a virtue in life and especially when it comes to ASL. Another virtue is to buy modules when released and keep themon the shelf even if they gather dust for years as one never knows they will be needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't realised FKaC was no longer available or the sort of money it was going for.

When I got back into playing ASL a few years back I was faced with the difficult decision as to whether to upgrade all of my old AH modules to the new style ones with the unmounted boards. Uhmmed and ahhed and eventually decided to and sold all of the old stuff (Yanks, West of Alamein, Hollow Legions, Croix de Guerre, Gung Ho, Code of Bushido etc) and have been re-buying as the replacements came out. FKaC and Beyond Valor were still in print when I made the jump but I am grateful for Rising Sun and Yanks having been reissued - nearly back to a full set now, just the French and Italians to go. Stay patient and buy everything when you can

I think Korea may be stand alone as far as unit counters goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:

I think one will need several other modules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
domus_ludorum wrote:

I think one will need several other modules...

It's hard to tell as yet from the MMP description but I think you are correct. I get the impression that the Korea module will supplement some existing orders of battle but others will require ownership of various core modules. It's a shame they can't just include everything that is needed in this one module but no doubt the price would be even higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Biosphere wrote:
It's a shame they can't just include everything that is
needed in this one module but no doubt the price would be even higher.

The price would be much, much higher.

But ASL (sans Paratrooper and ASLSK) has never included everything needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
But ASL (sans Paratrooper and ASLSK) has never included everything needed.

Don't be so quick to include Paratrooper in there. You still needed some old Squad Leader boards. (The original TAHGC attitude was, no matter how new to ASL you were, of course you already owned SL!)

Not counting ASLSK, there has never been a single ASL product that contained everything required in one product. The closest you get is BV3, which only requires the additional purchase of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lunney
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
If you have an opponent I think the pressure lifts somewhat - both of you do not have to own everything.

I do not own any OCS and yet have played a few games.

If, between yourself and those you play against, including on VASL if you like, you have what you need to play a particular module or scenario, then you can play. Each person does not have to own everything, though it is generally the preferred situation.

Most people I know who play ASL do own everything, but I think that's also the nature of the people who play.

Either way, good luck in your endeavours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL isn't a HEY! This looks cool, I want to buy a module and learn the system.

Beyond Valor is essentially an introductory module at this point of the game.

SK is the "wine Tasting tour" you likey you move on to sophisticated wine.
AND BELIEVE ME when you play ASL you get ALL FLAVORS OF WINE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and with that - you will hear all flavors of whine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.