Subject: No minor auction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James D
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Last few times I've played this with my home gaming group we skipped the minor auction. Each player started with $0, we drew for first player then selected one minor in turn until all were taken. Twice we had 3 players and passed out every minor and once we had 4 players and omitted minors 13-15 (and their corresponding 2s) giving each player 3. Seemed to work well.

Advantages...
1. Shortens game length by omitting the auction.
2. Balanced start. Everyone has the same number of privates and no cash and thus no advantage over anyone else out of the gate.

You do lose the 'playing chicken' aspect of the auction but if someone really screws up their auction at the start you will inevitably have a player who starts the game so far behind they can't catch up and another player who starts so far ahead they can't be caught. I just hate the idea of a 4-5 hour game being won or lost in the first 15 minutes.

I like this home rule a lot. Don't know if it will fly at the conventions but give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will certainly work, though if you play often enough you may find people keep drafting the same minors.

You might also look at this variant:

Minor company special powers variant

It requires making up some extra components, but eliminates the auction without taking the randomness out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, this is the way my group does 18EU. We don't do much 18xx gaming and hardly more than once or twice a year. No one has any idea what any minor or private might be worth in any of the 18xx games I have. The auction really has little value if no one can put a value on anything up for sale. It becomes all guess-work and random results.

JimA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Eric Brosius wrote:
It will certainly work, though if you play often enough you may find people keep drafting the same minors.

You might also look at this variant:

Minor company special powers variant

It requires making up some extra components, but eliminates the auction without taking the randomness out.

I've played this variant once before at Origins with the TGA gang. I don't think I like it very much. Its a bit too gimmicky and players forgot their special powers. This is because I've found that if you add too much extra stuff in a home rule to a game players will frequently forget it.

I wouldn't discourage others from playing it but its not for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
NapTown Jim wrote:
Last few times I've played this with my home gaming group we skipped the minor auction. Each player started with $0, we drew for first player then selected one minor in turn until all were taken. Twice we had 3 players and passed out every minor and once we had 4 players and omitted minors 13-15 (and their corresponding 2s) giving each player 3. Seemed to work well.

The first player would get a huge advantage over last player.

It is also harder to build synergies and plan your strategy. I can easily win with fewer minors than another player. I use my minors to build my 8T run. The minors determine my whole strategy. Picking them seems overly random. Also saving $5-10 can be huge. Seems like that rule would kill much of the strategy.

NapTown Jim wrote:
I just hate the idea of a 4-5 hour game being won or lost in the first 15 minutes.

Our initial auctions are much longer and our games are much shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.