Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for not reading through the 324 variant threads before posting this. I just finished with the Colonist rules and was wondering if anyone's ever tried something like this...

In Stage 1 (rounds 1 - 4), players can place their worker on an occupied space by paying 1 food to each player who already has one worker there.

In Stage 2 (5 - 7), 3 (8 - 9), 4 (10 - 11), 5 (12 - 13), 6 (14), the price increases to 2,3,4,5,6 food (i.e., pay one food per stage to every player that already has a worker there).

Also, if you already have a worker there, you can't place a second one.

Personally, I don't mind the blocking, but I think this might make an interesting variant. So, FG is never blocked, but it's costing you more food and helping feed someone else's babies. MIMI is probably the space that would most benefit from this. With more players, it's possible that multiple cookeries get taken on the same round.

My guess is the food cost will be too high almost all the time resulting in basically the same game but shutting up everyone who whines about the blocking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume that if say a "Take Wood" space had 12 wood on it-then every player who placed there would get 12 wood?

I think this variant "blows up" the game in the sense that the economy gets flushed with all the resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
I presume that if say a "Take Wood" space had 12 wood on it-then every player who placed there would get 12 wood?

I think this variant "blows up" the game in the sense that the economy gets flushed with all the resources.

No, once the 12 wood are gone, they're gone. The variant only works on non-accumulation spaces (e.g., DL, Grain, Plow, Mimi, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting to me and worth a try. Nobody would pay 6 food anyway, shouldn't there be a maximal price ( 3 food/previous player sounds already quite a lot)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LudoH wrote:
Sounds interesting to me and worth a try. Nobody would pay 6 food anyway, shouldn't there be a maximal price ( 3 food/previous player sounds already quite a lot)

I'm not sure about that. In the final round, fencing can get rid of a lot of negative points. Would Ren/Fence be worth 6 points? Possibly. Plow & Sow might also be worth 4 - 6 points.

There's another interesting thing here. I go first and grab FG w/o. You go second and grab Plow&Sow. In my second (or later) action, I take Plow&Sow and give you 5 food. Then you take FG w/o and give me back my 5 food. We both got both actions for no food cost. Of course, there's no guarantee that you (or anyone else) will take FG w/o but it could be a bit too symbiotic.

So, yeah, maybe capping it at 3 or 4 food is right so that the SP imbalance isn't made even worse.

This variant might also make baking more viable since blocking is removed and you can still generate a lot of food that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I did not see the potential impact of the fact that no food at all is returned to the supply, perhaps the first food (per previous player) should return to the supply (?)

This would need a bit play-testing but I like the idea (at least to prevent complains about impossible FG at 4 players)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LudoH wrote:
Indeed, I did not see the potential impact of the fact that no food at all is returned to the supply, perhaps the first food (per previous player) should return to the supply (?)

I like that! Maybe half of the food rounded down goes to supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Interesting variant, but I would just put all the food paid to the bank. There is no reason to reward players for taking the action that they wanted (and are getting for free), or to encourage people to block deliberately to try to get food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tyndal wrote:
Interesting variant, but I would just put all the food paid to the bank. There is no reason to reward players for taking the action that they wanted (and are getting for free), or to encourage people to block deliberately to try to get food.

This was my thought as well. But it will ruin the food economy. It will remove so much food from the game, and make it much more valuable than it already is. It will make cards and combos that produce alot of food much more valuable. (ovens, grain cart, fisherman+fishing pole...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
toddpark75 wrote:
Tyndal wrote:

This was my thought as well. But it will ruin the food economy. It will remove so much food from the game, and make it much more valuable than it already is. It will make cards and combos that produce alot of food much more valuable. (ovens, grain cart, fisherman+fishing pole...)

I agree.

I would also however also exclude the first player token from changing hands more than once a round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
toddpark75 wrote:
Tyndal wrote:

Even if the food goes to the bank, this will only HELP the players as they are being given an additional choice. If everyone ignores it, then it's a normal game of Agricola. If anyone takes it, it's because it's worth the price of admission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyndal wrote:
toddpark75 wrote:
Tyndal wrote:

Even if the food goes to the bank, this will only HELP the players as they are being given an additional choice. If everyone ignores it, then it's a normal game of Agricola. If anyone takes it, it's because it's worth the price of admission.

The advantage of taking an action was taking the action. Now that that option is offered later.. someone who takes it first does deserve some sort of compensation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
The advantage of taking an action was taking the action. Now that that option is offered later.. someone who takes it first does deserve some sort of compensation.

The relative compensation is getting it for free. Other people have to pay for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toddpark75 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

The relative compensation is getting it for free. Other people have to pay for it.

That upsets the game balance too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
toddpark75 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

This whole idea upsets the game balance way too much. But the OP wanted to try a variant like this. If one was going to do something along these lines, I would pay the food to the bank, not the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toddpark75 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
toddpark75 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

This whole idea upsets the game balance way too much. But the OP wanted to try a variant like this. If one was going to do something along these lines, I would pay the food to the bank, not the players.

Well we can agree to disagree. lol.
I feel that paying it to the player who is already there restores the balance of going first while opening the board up to more efficient machine building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.