Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm heading out to KublaCon in a couple weeks, and I'll have in tow several prototypes. I'd like to get some people together to do some playtesting on one or two occasions over the course of the convention. Let me know if you're going to the con and would be interested in participating in these playtest sessions, and what game or games you are bringing. I'll try and find a time that's not got too much interesting going on during the con and we can throw down our designs.

Here's what I'm bringing:
All For One: A thematic pickup/deliver game with a Three Musketeers theme.

Terra Prime: Explore space, colonize planets, collect and deliver resources, and fight aliens... all inside an hour and a half.

Blockade Runner: A 15-30 minute game of racing and trading, with a Firefly theme. Features simultaneous play, a little resource management, bluffing and prisoner's dilemma.

Wizard's Tower, A semi-abstract, Colovini-esque game of building towers and controlling areas with your apprentices.

Homesteaders, by Alex Rockwell: A resource management/strategy game in which you auction for the right to build a type of building, then you choose which building of that type to build. Use the abilities of the buildings to garner the most victory points.

Smoothie King, by Ian Vincent: An efficiency game along the lines of Power Grid, but without the geography. Buy fruit at market to plant, send to factories bought at auction, or sell later if the price goes up. Fruit sent to factories produces Smoothies at different rates depending on the factory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
I will bring Spatial Delivery: Acquire goods by competitive draft at Earth, and deliver them to the Settled Worlds in outer space. Build common trade routes and private trade stations as more and more distant worlds are discovered and settled. Earn Market Share Points by delivering the right goods to the most influential worlds, if your opponents don't get there ahead of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Varangian Guard -- featuring area influence, combat, auctions, network/route building and resource control. It is commonly described by people who have not played it as "Just like El Grande!" and then always described by those same people after they've played it as, "This is nothing like El Grande!". If you've played before the major recent changes:

- purchased special abilities ala Ursuppe genes
- cards instead of tiles for the starting locations
- scoring happens only at player request and the endgame

Spice Islands -- a relatively simple 75 minute auction and stock market manipulation game inspired by the 18XX stock market sub-game

And of course a mess of Age of Steam maps:

AoS: Central America
AoS: Denmark
AoS: Isle of Wight (partnerships)
AoS: South-East Australia
AoS: Wales

Descriptions of the primary features of each map are linked off the above images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I and Jt would be interested in playtesting. We will be bringing three new games:

Azul: (by Scott Caputo) A simple tile-laying game in which players compete to complete beautiful Portuguese mosiacs.

Kachina: (by Scott Caputo) Another simple tile-laying game in which players attempt to dominate each other's kachinas (native american spirits) by clever tile placement.

Take it or Leave it: (by Jt Mudge) A poker-like game played with a special deck of power cards and other innovative features.

When and where will this playtesting take place?

Does anyone know if there will be any board game publishers at Kublacon who will be listening to pitches?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we have plenty of games for at least 1 session, I'll post tonight or tomorrow with a time and place, and we'll meet there for a couple hours of playtesting.

If you have a preference as to day and time please geekmail me to let me know... in general please tell me whether you'd prefer:
Late morning
Afternoon
Evening
Late Night

and then Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday.\

I'm leaning toward earlier rather than later in the weekend, but I'm not married to any particular time slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Peter (pdrayton) & I will be arriving at the con late afternoon/early evening on Friday. We'd be up for some playtesting, especially Friday evening. (We'd also be interested in some socializing over a bit of food.)

Julie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preliminary times that look good for a prototype playtesting session are:
Friday: 8pm (or later)
Saturday: 3pm or 8pm
Sunday: 6pm or later

Any preferences?

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
After a quick crawl through the program... there's nearly always something going on that I'd enjoy. But I think I can be available for pretty much any of the times you've suggested, Seth. Why not shoot for an early start and see how many people we can gather for Friday evening? Anybody? I need four players for Spatial Delivery...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm going to go ahead and say each of those times is a playtest session then. Come to any one you want (if noone shows, I'll go find some game to play). In order o get 2 games in, I'm setting the time a bit earlier. So...

Playtest session #1: Space Themed Euros! 6pm Friday 5/25/07
6:00 pm: Spatial Delivery with Rick Holzgrafe
8:00 pm: Terra Prime with Seth Jaffee

If there's interest then it can go on after that. JC and Scott, which of the listed slots would you like to run a game in? I'll post more scheduled slots later today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably too late to do anybody any good, but here it is anyway:

Playtest session #1: Space Themed Euros! 6pm Friday 5/25/07
6:00 pm: Spatial Delivery: Compete to obtain resources as well as to deliver them to various planets!
8:00 pm: Terra Prime: Explore space, Colonize planets, Harvest resources, and Fight aliens!

Playtest session #2 3pm Saturday 5/26/07
3:00 pm: All For One: Play 3 Musketeers characters doing missions for the King and Cardinal!
5:00 pm: Homesteaders: Manage your resources to build your Homestead into a thriving boomtown!

Playtest session #3: Miscellaneous Prototypes 6pm Sunday 5/27/07
* Wizard's Tower: Command apprentices, build towers and attack rival towers
* Smoothie King: Buy and grow fruit to sell at market or turn into smoothies and grow your smoothie business!
* Blockade Runner: Pilot a Firefly class spaceship trading contraband to rebel planets and racing to escape an Alliance cruiser!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.