Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Wentu
Italy
Parma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game very much. I am an enthusiast about evolutionism and the ToE, therefore I like to see where it comes out (in disguise) during the game.
As much as I love this game (and the bigger brothers) i can't stop worrying about the fact that Long Neck seems, in E:tB, an obbligated strategy to win. It seems a Long Neck and 2 variable defensive traits are almost unstoppable. As soon as another carnivore has my 2 defensive traits, I shift to another couple of traits (keeping them in my hand when I draw them). Is it possible to win while playing a no-Long Neck strategy against a Long Neck opponent? I am speaking about the 2 players game, mostly, but interested also in the 3+players situation.

Thank you very much

Wentu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played over 50 two-player games and I don't think it's an obligatory strategy. It's a powerful strategy that should be utilized, but not a broken strategy.

A Long Neck with two defenses only gets you 3 food/turn which is not enough to win. And it's very easy for a Carnivore to get to 5 Population to make him extinct before you get a chance to change the defensive traits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have 10 or so two player games and 2 three player so I'm not very experienced. I feel the long neck is solid and something I let new players in on before they play. I don't believe it is broken either, it just needs kept in check by the other player(s) and eaten if they start getting to many long necks going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Wentu
Italy
Parma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thankx for your quick answer.

Maybe I played it wrong.
Why do you say that a long neck with 2 defensive traits will only get me 3 food?
If I have a species with long neck and 5 population i first take 3 food for the first 3 upper population cards but then i can take two more from the pond, right?
W.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wentu wrote:
First of all, thankx for your quick answer.

Maybe I played it wrong.
Why do you say that a long neck with 2 defensive traits will only get me 3 food?
If I have a species with long neck and 5 population i first take 3 food for the first 3 upper population cards but then i can take two more from the pond, right?
W.

Yes, that is correct. But then you will not be able to feed anything else, like the new species you get for free each turn. Killing off a Long Neck with 5 Population is more difficult, but it still happens. It takes a Carnivore with a Population of 9.

Anyhow, play more and see what what happens. I think you'll find that Long Neck is a very important card, but not overly powered. You'll also discover that the Carnivore trait is every bit as important as Long Neck. And early Fertile with Horns is also very strong. In fact, I prefer an early Fertile/Horns/Long Neck over Long Neck/Defensive/Defensive. I think that's a stronger combo because it's less likely to be eaten into extinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Wentu
Italy
Parma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few more plays i am truly happy to say that I was completely wrong. We had several occasions in which horned-long-necked wasn't that strong, while today it was just part of a larger strategy of one of was (basically a sure source of 3 food).
very well!!
We are still enjoying the game a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FANTASTIC!!!

That makes me very happy to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.