11 Posts

Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My first game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Highlights from Psychedelia field! (My printer ran out of green half way through and so the rest of the pitch looks a bit tie dyed! I'll try and post a pic soon).

Lumberjacks vs Bulls

This was my first game, I played solo (wanted to get the rules down to show others/couldn't wait to play) and I'd said over on the Kickstarter that my first game would be reigniting the early 90s rivalry of the Lumberjacks and Bulls... it was great fun!

First Half
The first half was a TD-fest with both Defences looking like they hadn't got up to play. I guess this was expected with 2 high powered offences on the field. Nothing too much of note here other than 4 passing TDs where scored:
Dakota to Richard(#63) 80 yards
Cakeman to Sandman 80 yards
Dakota to Nice 80 yards
Cakeman to Sandman to end the half, think it was a 25 yarder.

14-14 HT

Second half.
Here's where the real fun began (and the scoring stopped!). Maybe the cards had been on my side (I was playing on offence vs random cards on D) or maybe I wasn't quite getting D in the first half but it all changed in the 2nd.

I'll go into detail on 2 plays that were a lot of fun in the second half:

Play #1: Bulls #68 is streaking to the endzone! He's at the 15, the 10, the 5, TOUCH-wait! Out of nowhere Richard #63 tackles him from behind at the 1... And the ball is LOOSE, picked up by Richard! He streaks down the other way all the way to the 10yard line before being taken down!

This play was a lot of fun as I went through the whole deck for the first time and then had to go back to the drawing board whilst the play was live.

Play #2: After a couple of tackles for a loss it's 3rd down on the 30, Dakota takes the snap. Blitz by the Bulls - Emmitt breaks lose in the back field. Next card flips over, it's Emmitt again. Dakota sensing pressure uses QB read to get out of there rolling out to the left. Next cards bring more pressure on Dakota but Nice has shaken off #34 and created a free play. Dakota is within 6 squares but Nice is covered by Sandman and #46, Dakota uses his Route Passing ability and puts it in space, but it's a failure! Sandman pounces, the ball is his, doubles on the sports check, he tips it up in the air towards... Bulls #45 INTERCEPTION! #45 is clogged up in the middle of the field and tries to make a run for it... BAM!, #46 for the Lumberjacks, Moonrally with the big hit and THE BALL IS KNOCKED LOOSE, FUMBLE! Straight into the arms of Sandman, he tries to break loose himself, only one person can stop him from getting a hand off to Emmitt in the open field... It's Moonrally AGAIN with the tackle. (FInally) end of play.

That one play late in the 2nd half was so much fun! 3 times the ball was juggled about and the Bulls nearly got away with it.

The clock wound down with a couple more downs from the Bulls getting them to around the Lumberjacks 30, but with no time outs left the game ended tied 14-14.

14-14 FT

Probably a fair result between the 2 old rivals.

MVP - Sandman, he's quick but he can make you feel like you're running through treacle if he's close by.

Other thoughts. I wasn't sure what to make of Dakota before the game, he has 3 passing skills but I wondered ow well they'd go together. Brilliantly as it turns out. QB read and Route Passing are great together for getting out of trouble. And Route Passing goes well with Shake, I think if Nice didn't have Sandman shadowing him all game he'd have a few more TDs.

In conclusion, the game is great... I might have another go tonight!

TLR - just read 'Play #2' to get the highlight of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Griffin
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What an exciting 2nd half! Can't wait to get my hands on this game.

GO BULLS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a game! O-ver-time! O-ver-time! You can't just leave that as a tie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write-up! I LOVE it when things like play #2 happen.

Quote:
I wasn't sure what to make of Dakota before the game, he has 3 passing skills but I wondered ow well they'd go together. Brilliantly as it turns out.

Glad you approve! Screen passer will be a nice addition to your arsensal as you play more and will help keep blitzers and defensive secondaries that are playing too deep honest. It's also great for throwing to a running back after your receivers have cleared out the defense with some aggressive route.

Quote:

This!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
voodooink wrote:
Quote:

This!!

Ha ha, very true! I managed to skip over the overtime rules somehow, I'll update tomorrow with the overtime score. In the meantime...

Decided to try out the Yellow Jackets and Pit Bulls... Boss lives up to the name, he's, well, Boss, with Shove and Team Player he can seal off running lanes with a buddy leaving Thunder to run through. In retrospect I should've tried out the Reapers instead of the Pit Bulls as I have 2 shovers and 2 team players on the field so they can sometimes cancel each other out, but it's still all good. Currently 7-7 entering the second half (again, I'll likely finish it tomorrow but have everything noted down).

I think I need to start running out of bounds when I get a pick, so far two interceptions and the player has fumbled both times on the subsequent tackle! Complete coincidence I know... But maybe defenders aren't designed to carry the ball!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
voodooink wrote:

Glad you approve! Screen passer will be a nice addition to your arsensal as you play more and will help keep blitzers and defensive secondaries that are playing too deep honest. It's also great for throwing to a running back after your receivers have cleared out the defense with some aggressive route.

I like the idea of clearing out the D and Route Passer + Screen Passer + within 6 squares... That's an immediate +3 to throw it into space. Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Pit Bulls vs Yellow Jackets ended 14-7 in the favour of the Pit Bulls, with the Pit Bulls playing some stifling defence and almost getting a Safety in the 2nd half, they tackled Thunder on the 1!

On to OT between The Lumberjacks and Bulls. Coin goes up and the Lumberjacks call Heads. TAILS! Bulls take possession on their own 20.

Cakeman in the backfield with Emmitt to his left and Sandman flanking on the right. Lumberjacks were running out of time setting up and put #47 Franck 'the Tank' Lefebvre at safety instead of on his usual line duty.

The ball is snapped, BLITZ by Nice! He gets in to contact with Cakeman and Emmitt. A partial success by #34 of the Bulls allows Nice to get even more pressure and get right on top of Cakeman. But maybe it was misdirection! Emmitt sees a running lane where Nice came from and successfully takes the hand off from Cakeman, he starts to rumble... (I I revealed #46 for the Lumberjacks and #55 for the Bulls and decided an adjustment was needed to try and slow Emmitt down) Lumberjacks sensing the danger make an adjustment, moving #46 Moonrally off the line and moving #63 Richard into the running lane of Emmitt who ploughs straight through Richard gaining a free activation for #68 who streaks out into the open with only Lefebvre to beat, is Emmitt going to throw?

No! He thinks better of it and takes the ball himself (I figured a 5 v 4 with Stiff Arm stood a better chance than a 6 v 4) heading up field.

Bulls reveal #34 again to try and get Emmitt a free activation with a block, but the Lumberjacks reveal #47, it's Lefebvre and he's in striking distance. He puts the hit on Emmitt who attempts the Stiff Arm, (dice rolls come in: Stiff Arm - 2. Block roll - 4... ... And ANOTHER 4!) FUMBLE! The balls is loose. #34 generates a success allowing Cakeman to get free of Nice and in position to scoop the ball up...

Next cards are revealed. #53 Lumberjacks, #45 Bulls, no one is in range. The D decides it's time to go for it and switch to #63, Bulls do likewise and activate Cakeman. They roll off, Lumberjacks react first! #63 Richard runs over to pick the ball up... Success, he runs it back, to the 20, to the 10, all the way down to the 1... Cakeman comes in to make the goaline save. FAILS! free activation for #63 Richard...

****TOUCHDOWN!****
**LUMBERJACKS WIN!**

Well OT turned out to be as much fun as the rest of the game, the panicked play of putting Franck at safety worked out great in the end.

Not sure who to try out next maybe The Reapers and The Warriors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could help ;oP

Nice game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
beewee wrote:
Glad I could help ;oP

Nice game!

Good to see we've both helped in each others games.

It's made me think that having one of us playing Strong Safety occasionally could work, if you can channel the 6s and 7s into the middle then a 4 is going to have a +2 or +3 to pound them with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moonrally wrote:
Good to see we've both helped in each others games.

It's made me think that having one of us playing Strong Safety occasionally could work, if you can channel the 6s and 7s into the middle then a 4 is going to have a +2 or +3 to pound them with!

Sounds like a plan ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.