Subject: Kumar Sen Public Speaker special ability question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game of this tonight and there were a couple of confusing moments concerning the rules. One was about the Public Speaker character.

His ability says "once per round" at any time that morale is about to be lowered he may roll to try to prevent that loss. We weren't sure when that ability could be used.

I thought that it could only be used on Kumar's player's turn. Another member in the group said that it sounds like it could be used any time, backing it up with the text of one of his character abilities stating "on your turn" while Kumar's says "once per round".

I tried to look up a faq online but found nothing. I don't think I spotted anything in the rule book but I do need to read it a couple more times to let it all sink in. Can anyone enlighten me on the correct usage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time during the round. Regardless of player turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh aka "Ossian Grr"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of effects that say "Once per round", and they all implicitly mean "Once per round, on this character's turn" (or the character holding the equipment).

Here's a reference where the original question was about the Walkie-Talkie:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1259441/questions-about...

There might be more in the base-game forums, but I remembered this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenxacred wrote:
Any time during the round. Regardless of player turn.

I second this. His ability would be pretty much useless if you could only use it on your own turn. It only really becomes beneficial if it can be used at any point during a round. However, the benefit is balanced by the fact it can only be used once per round (so won't prevent bad luck resulting in multiple moral drops) and is reliant on a die roll (meaning you might not prevent the loss anyway).

Personally, he's not a character I ever pick because his stats are bad and his ability, while potentially very useful, may not ever trigger. But I think it is safe to say it can be used once per round, regardless of whose turn it is, to prevent a morale drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, I think if it said, "ANYWHERE: Once per round, you may roll 1 die. If the result is a 6, the Colony gains 1 Morale," then I think the implication would be that he could only do it on his own turn.

But since they added, "Once per round, whenever the Colony would lose Morale..." that makes when it can be used more specific. So it's not just on that player's turn, but at any time the Colony would lose Morale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
Ok, although not a consensus it seems that you think it can be used anytime. Thank you.

Another question: When requesting something, can you request a card that can be equipped? Not one that is already equipped but is in another players hand. For example could I request a weapon item then equip it if passed to me? We weren't sure if it just applied to one time use items like medicine or food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can request weapons if you equip them immediately.

You can also request Outsiders cards if you then play them immediately, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:

Thank you so much. But that also brings up anothe question: does that mean you can hold on to new survivor event cards? We were playing them immediately as if we found them but you mean we could hang on to it and even pass it to others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
randomlife wrote:

Thank you so much. But that also brings up anothe question: does that mean you can hold on to new survivor event cards? We were playing them immediately as if we found them but you mean we could hang on to it and even pass it to others?

Yes, that is the number one missed rule in this game: Outsiders cards are treated just like Item cards -- when you search and find one, it goes into your hand. Then, you can play it on that turn, save it for a future turn, or even give it to other players when they request it. They also count as a card in your hand if that's one of your secret objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Davy has said, survivors were always able to be held (not played immedicately) and Kumar's ability is definitely once per round during any part of the round. It does not have to be his turn.

It's a very strong ability (can be swingy), but his low stats more than make up for it. He is often a liability, especially on a team with few other survivors where his player will have a hard time doing much besides eliminating waste and putting up barricades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Canada
flag msg tools
jozxyqk wrote:
There are a lot of effects that say "Once per round", and they all implicitly mean "Once per round, on this character's turn" (or the character holding the equipment).

Here's a reference where the original question was about the Walkie-Talkie:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1259441/questions-about...

There might be more in the base-game forums, but I remembered this one.

Does it state anywhere that "once per round" is explicitly on your turn only?

Is something I missed in the rulebook or was it determined in the original Dead of Winter? (I only have TLN)

We have been playing that you can use your abilities anytime during the round (not just your turn). But I'm also looking for ways to make the game more difficult, since it's far too easy if you don't have a betrayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's mostly implied in the rules that you can only do things on your own turn. Like, if a survivor has a special ability that they can do an extra search for free once per round, I really don't think they can do searches on other players' turns.

Can you give us an example of an ability that says once per round that you were thinking could be used on other players' turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan P
msg tools
Of course. In rules: "Note: If the item has a once per round ability and it has already
been used that round it cannot be used again by handing it off
to another survivor." That means: if you have an item that can be used once per turn and you've already used that item, but passed to another player, he can use it again in the same round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.