Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello fellow Andor enthusiasts!

I was uncertain about the following points concerning free actions and combat:

The rules state that heroes participating in a group battle can exchange objects (Witch’s Brew, Runestones etc.) at the end of a battle round (and before the next battle round begins); fellow fighters may do so if occupying the same space, or by using the Falcon if in an adjacent space.

1. Can heroes not participating in a battle exchange objects with a fighting hero between battle rounds?

Example: Hero A is fighting a Skral. At the end of the 1st battle round, Hero B in another location on the board sends Hero A a brew with the Falcon.

My 2 cents: the rules here seem to explicitly be referring to exchanges between "fellow fighters": are we therefore to assume that exchanges with heroes not involved in the battle are not legal?

2. Are all free actions possible between battle rounds, not only exchanging objects, but other actions as well, such as using objects (such as a Herb, the Andoran Flute, or the Hadrian Hourglass)?

Using the brew, or a herb for extra Strength Points, occurs after rolling, so during the battle round (because they are die-roll modifiers).
But would it be possible to use the Andoran Flute or the herb to raise Willpower points between battle rounds, or the hourglass if more hours are needed?

My 2 cents: the answer is yes; in effect, even if a battle may result in several consecutive battle rounds, each individual "round" amounts to a "fight action" for the active player (whose turn it is), so any free actions should be possible at the end of a round (just as they are at the beginning and end of a player's turn).
Also, it wouldn't seem logical if heroes could exchange objects, but not perform other free actions between rounds.

I would be interested to know if you agree (or disagree) with my interpretation of the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Heroes can exchange items before/after battle rounds but only between participants of the battle. Michael Menzel told it somewhere.

2. Others free actions are not allowed during battle.

We play with homerule: all free actions are not allowed during battle, even the exchange. It's clear and requires a little bit more planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Uncivil for your comments!

Uncivil wrote:
1. Heroes can exchange items before/after battle rounds but only between participants of the battle. Michael Menzel told it somewhere.

Glad to hear that we share the same understanding of the rule

Uncivil wrote:
2. Others free actions are not allowed during battle.

Free actions are not allowed during battle rounds, that much is clear (well actually, using a brew or a herb are the exception). But the question is, can free actions other than exchanges between fellow fighters take place between battle rounds?

The rules don't actually say they can't. All that we know is that aside from exchanges between fellow fighters, the rules make no mention of other free actions.
But can we assume they are not legal simply ex silentio?

Again, it seems logical to me that if heroes can exchange objects with fellow fighters, they could also use objects such as a herb, the Andoran Flute or the hourglass (but none of the other free actions, like emptying wells or buying from a merchant, of course!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
@ Uncivil:

OK, upon further consideration, I'm inclined to agree with you: if it's not written in the rules (that heroes can use objects between battle rounds), then we should consider it's not legal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylusboy wrote:
@ Uncivil:

OK, upon further consideration, I'm inclined to agree with you: if it's not written in the rules (that heroes can use objects between battle rounds), then we should consider it's not legal

This game is really "easy to learn, hard to master"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Menzel stated at the German forum that no free actions are possible during combat rounds. Except specific combat related actions, use of herb, witch's brew. After a combat round or before it all free actions are possible. Combat rounds are independent. You need to decide every time anew to start one.
The example with Chada was to emphasise that allthough she is in the same fight she is not in the same space and therefore a falcon is needed for an exchange.
Beware that the falcon only exchanges. You can not send gold, buy something and send it back with the same falcon.

I would presume this as very rare so no harm done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, thank you very much Wolfram for clearing that up and responding to my request!

So free actions such as exchanges and using objects are possible between battle rounds.
It is as I originally suspected, each combat round is like a separate turn ; it is as though the active player is taking several consecutive turns when fighting, paying 1 hour for each round (as Wolfram says, combat rounds are independent). In that sense, it makes sense that a hero should be able to take free actions between rounds

And anyway, I thought, if it's possible to use a Herb or the Horned Falcon during a combat round (after rolling), or for a hero to exchange objects with fellow fighters at the end of a round, then it only seems logical that it should also be possible to use a Herb (or other Object) between rounds.

Glad this is cleared up, I think it's an important point and it makes a big difference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.