Patrick Helfrich
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There was some debate whether or not multiple command cards could be played that have the requirement of being played at the begging of the round.

For instance, playing Take Initiative and Reinforcements.

Based on the Skirmish guide I would think you could:
Quote:
Activation Phase: Players first resolve any abilities that are triggered at the start of a round (for example, from the Skirmish Mission card).

However, the argument against was made with the FAQ errata:

Quote:
Q: In a skirmish, if my opponent plays “Take Initiative,” can I
play my own copy of “Take Initiative” to counteract it?
A: No. Your timing window to play cards “at the start of the
round” would have passed (see “Conflicts in a Skirmish” in the
Rules Reference Guide).

There is nothing I saw in “Conflicts in a Skirmish” that mentions anything close to this either.

If the FAQ would be the ruling, then that would mean that only 1 player (player with initiative) would be able to play any card at the beginning of the round, as once they play the card, the round would be said to have already started. That seems wrong to me, as I would expect both players to have the opportunity to play "beginning of round" command cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
From "Timing" on page 2:
Quote:
In a skirmish, resolve mission rules first, followed by effects triggered by the player with initiative, then effects triggered by his opponent.

I'd have to look at the card, but I think the FAQ answer is just about that card specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
See Timing, page 2. Outside of attacks in skirmish the order is: Mission/core rules, player with initiative, player without initiative.

You can't play Take Initiative as a response to the other player playing Take Initiative because your timing window for your Time Initiative has already passed.

And if you have Initiative you can't play Take Initiative pre-emptively, because it would do nothing and the opponents Take Initiative would still take the initiative from you.

For your more general question:

You can play multiple commands cards at the same timing instance, but each player can only play a single copy of a card in the same timing instance. You can't play two Reinforcements during the same start of round nor two Jundland Terrors in the same end of round step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't the first time the FAQ response has caused confusion as to what timing was mentioned, but Pasi has explained it well.

To further explain the timing, the player who starts with Initiative must play all cards they want to play with the 'start of round' timing before the opponent can play any cards. Once the opponent starts playing cards, the Initiative player cannot start playing cards again, even if the opponent takes the Initiative.

That is the timing window that was missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.