Hide
9 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Proficiency Question (Game 6 and 7 spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A J
msg tools
Can the charms proficiency be used once on each players turn, or only on the turn of the player with the proficiency?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
There's nothing like the sound of a child's laughter to remind you that your apartment's haunted.
badge
Freedom of Speech means that the Government can't imprison you for what you say, not that the rest of us can't tell you to shut up.
mbmbmb
I didn't play it that way but upon rereading the card with your question in mind, I think the answer is YES.

Once per turn = once during each players turn.

Flying is also Once per turn, although it's a little harder to generate 5 influence out of turn than it is to discard 2 spell cards.

NO, according to the designer below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Year 6 booklet, it says your proficiency is usable on your turn only, unless it says otherwise on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
msg tools
So "once per turn" doesn't constitute being "otherwise noted"? This goes for the dice rolling horcrux abilities as well.

Any official ruling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Williams
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We had this same question today with different players at the table interpreting the rules differently.

I think since it says "once per turn" and not "on your turn" that counts as otherwise specifically indicated from the rule book.

Meaning, we played that a hero could discard two spells and give everyone a draw once each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Arms
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borborygmus wrote:
We had this same question today with different players at the table interpreting the rules differently.

I think since it says "once per turn" and not "on your turn" that counts as otherwise specifically indicated from the rule book.

Meaning, we played that a hero could discard two spells and give everyone a draw once each turn.

We could really use an Official Ruling on the "once per turn" proficiency cards. Can those cards be used a maximum of once on each player's turn? I've heard arguments both ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
kingadrock21 wrote:
Can the charms proficiency be used once on each players turn, or only on the turn of the player with the proficiency?

Only on the turn of the player with the Proficiency, and not on each player's turn.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Michael
msg tools
Same question for Defense against the Dark Arts proficiency.

Text states "each time a DA event or villain causes you to discard...". I read this to mean literally, each and every time, regardless of the active Hero. A Hero can stockpile attacks this way when not active, should they be continually forced to discard. Do I have this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kami Mandell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
GameGuy7 wrote:
Same question for Defense against the Dark Arts proficiency.

Text states "each time a DA event or villain causes you to discard...". I read this to mean literally, each and every time, regardless of the active Hero. A Hero can stockpile attacks this way when not active, should they be continually forced to discard. Do I have this right?

You have been playing correctly. "Each time" literally means "every time" and "Once per turn" means "Only one time and that time has to be on your turn". Unfortunately that was too much text to put on the cards.

So Defense Against the Dark Arts can trigger multiple times per round on anyone's turn. But Flying Lessons, Charms, and Transfiguration can only be used on the turn of the player who chose that Proficiency—one time.

Thanks,
Kami
USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.