Subject: So how's everyone getting on with it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
So, out of interest how are you guys finding the game in terms of difficulty? has anyone finished part 1 yet? Had a few guys come over to chat at spiel that were at the end of part 1 and finding it hard but rewarding.

So how are you all doing? lets hear some war stories!

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dicesports wrote:
So, out of interest how are you guys finding the game in terms of difficulty? has anyone finished part 1 yet? Had a few guys come over to chat at spiel that were at the end of part 1 and finding it hard but rewarding.

So how are you all doing? lets hear some war stories!

Rob

Very good thanks two long sessions at stabcon to write up, lots of narrative and two others.

Everyone enjoys it and agrees you feel very involved.

Difficulty is fine if you are too trigger happy you npay the penalty. There is often critical moments in the game where you turn the corner but you still need to keep focus to get "home" safely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Cool! looking forward to the write ups

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nippress
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We've had a couple of games (both times we played Chapter 1) to try things out, and both have been a lot of fun. The rules are learned very quickly, and where we had some questions on them, we "played what felt right", before getting more info from this forum.

Both games came down to the wire, so the balance appears good. We survived both times, but only just. The second game we left the board at a sprint with no ammo left whatsoever. And it was a little frustrating in one of the games when we searched the objective rooms, hoping for weapons, and ending up with two tins of chicken curry and a CB radio! The chicken curry game will go down in history!!

It's a good "level" of play, somewhere between a standard boardgame and an RPG, so that there is not a huge amount of background work to do (although we have yet to start getting into perks) but you still feel as though you are weaving a story through the game.

Hoping to start the campaign soon, so I will write up as we go, but things look very good for this game. Please keep it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
cool loving the little write ups you're doing, in campaign you'll be glad of that chicken curry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pleng
Thailand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh it's really difficult and really thematic, the closest game to make me feel like I'm in the walking dead.

Oh that's.......just my imagination.

As a non-backer, I'm waiting for the retail game. modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nippress
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
dicesports wrote:
cool loving the little write ups you're doing, in campaign you'll be glad of that chicken curry

We'll try to feed back as much as possible, and in the meantime, here's a couple of pictures from the last game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephane heed
France
Vaugneray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi.
I've started the campain a couple of weeks ago with a friend who loves "old school" RPGs, and he also likes few zombies board game.

Well we had a blast! He found the RPGs feel of the game really came through, and we both allready got really attached to the characters. I mean, I felt my heart pounding when I suddenly found myself (as Cole) stuck in a room with 5 Zombies gunning for me and hardly any amo left!! (for the books, luckly Kate came to rescue)

With hinsight we should have probably spent more time searching, because we finished scenario 1 with quite a lot of amo (bare Cole) and no imediate presure from the infected.
But that fits really well with the theme, its all part of the learning curve!

All in all its a well balanced first scenario, perfect for getting the feel of the game and familiar with the rules. If the rest upscales from here its just going to hit the number one spot!!!

Ps: please excuse my spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
good to hear Stephane the difficulty increases pretty gently from chapter 1-3 then from chapter 4 onward in gets HARD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephane heed
France
Vaugneray
flag msg tools
mbmb
dicesports wrote:
good to hear Stephane the difficulty increases pretty gently from chapter 1-3 then from chapter 4 onward in gets HARD

That fine then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nippress
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Tonight we played the third practice game - mission 1 again, to see how we got on with a little experience under our belts.

After the first two games (5 hours and 4 hours), this one took the best part of 2 hours to play, and only a fraction of that improvement was due to knowing what we were doing! The previous games saw us completing the mission by the skin of our teeth, whilst this one seemed more like " a walk in the park".

Some fortuitous dice rolling meant that most of the spawning zombies were well out of our way, and the room searches were kind. It's always better to find a fully loaded assault rifle, as opposed to a tin of chicken curry.

So we've completed 3 practice runs, and now it's time for the real thing. I'm hoping to keep a journal of our missions, so watch this space for our ongoing story...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fred bloggs
msg tools
Played a couple of solo campaign games and really enjoyed, but last night was first try with friends for a Director game.
I thought as director it would be a bit of a damp squib to be honest, as zombies still follow the AI, but I actually really enjoyed it! Was great to watch friends debating what to do (good job the zombies just stood still why they argued!) and then playing those director cards to spice things up.

A great game! Will try mission 3 of the campaign solo tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Željan Sudeta
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished mission 4 the second time.

The first time was very close....almost failed. We had to hack and slash to the the last 3 spawn points, and would say we got lucky dice rolls.

The second time we used a different tactic and it felt like we were in control. The important thing is to close doors and move out of the line of sight and smell range when possible (to keeps zombies slow) and to search top floor for the weapons. After that you can almost go guns blazing :-).

At the end Kat and Cole were out of ammo and Sam and Victor had 6 bullets left together. Sam also used all of his stink tank uses.

Great experience, great game and my play group loves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
with chapter 4 I tend to seal off one end completely first to give me more time & space to hold off the stuff spawning from the other side while the basement plank tokens get collected. Defo one of my favorite missions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dunkley
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just this very second finished Chapter 4 (solo) Oh!! what a roller coaster! and what an interesting mission, simple in concept but a nice tactical challenge, this was probably one of the most memorable games I have ever played.
Difficulty wise so far pitched just right, certainly not easy, just enough tension....damn Roamers! things hanging by a thread and failure always breathing over my shoulder the only mission I failed first time was Chapter 3 which I made a tactical error from the start.....it didn't end well, I learn new tricks every game like using a dive to just gain that last space I need to get out of sight and such, far to many to list.
The more I play the more I want to play and I can see myself continuing on until the end, this is a fantastic game which I had a really good feeling about while backing it on Kickstarter, I hope it gets a good following once it hits retail and I greatly anticipate the arrival of new mini expansions/Chapters as the story grows, congratulations on a Kicksterter gem!

Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulfengaard Hrafnson
United States
Cameron Park
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are folks seeing the replayability, since it is campaign-based? Think you'll get more plays out of it if you already know the story?

I'm really leaning heavily toward this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dunkley
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ulfengaard wrote:
How are folks seeing the replayability, since it is campaign-based? Think you'll get more plays out of it if you already know the story?

I'm really leaning heavily toward this.

I don't see any problem replaying missions even if just favorites after playing through the campaign, mission 4 was great fun and I'm sure there will be plenty of fan created missions once it gets out there, I'm not the most creative but I'm sure I could come up with a few myself also chapters 3+4 are planned so there's already plenty to go at, I play a LOT of mini based games and this is right up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
glad you're enjoying it Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dunkley
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dicesports wrote:
glad you're enjoying it Simon

I have just this moment finished Chapter 6...WOW! Fantastic game! so that's Part 1 all done(solo)....No spoilers here....looking forward to starting part 2.
Again the difficulty pitched just right, I had a real fight on my hands, my heroes are perking up nicely and I'm quite attached to them all as they have developed real personality over the chapters.

I really can't praise the game enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Thanks Simon! Let me know how you get on with part 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nippress
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So, after our recent practice runs, we started the campaign tonight. And another great game came out of it. You'll be pleased to know that the heroes survived, although Cole and Vic did leave the area having been bitten. Dr Sam had his work cut out after the mission!

Several highlights of the game...

Kat calmly opening a door, lobbing a grenade, blowing away the zombies outside, and closing the door with a smug grin!

Cole using himself as bait just inside a room, being grappled by three zombies, taking a bite and whilst he holds them on the ground Kat and Vic execute them. Then in steps Sam with the medkit.

The satisfied feeling when your grenade does exactly what you want it to, having found another one.

Having had the "chicken curry & CB radio" game, we have a new one... the "two bottles of booze and a packet of fags" game!

Looking forward to Mission Two in the next couple of weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
PaulNippress wrote:
The satisfied feeling when your grenade does exactly what you want it to, having found another one.

we always joke about this, never in the history of throwing a grenade have we managed a "perfect" result, always get 1 damn knockdown!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Rouggy
France
flag msg tools
Just finish chapter 6. The game is great and balanced. As for difficulty, chapter 1 and 2 are very easy. Chapter 3 is balanced. Chapter 4 and 5 are more difficult (and I love it!). Chapter 6 is rather easy too.

I begin issue 2... You are very creative and all missions are very different. A very good game, congratulations Mr Rob!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Thanks

all of issue 2 is pretty tough, let me know how you get on with it!

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.