Subject: Improvements Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Louallen Jr.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any limit to the number of improvements you can have active?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1648135/video-how-play-it-c...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1633838/improvements

Video says yes to replenishing the 4 choices. But he may be just instinctively following other games common mechanics. Thus no limit in this case.

Reasons to NOT! replenish (and have a limit of 4 improvement card options and thus 4 active).
1) Improvements are strong. 4 should be enough.
2) Only 10 in the deck. Don't want to see most of them in only one game and reduce the mystery and randomness.
3) Limit improvements so its not such an easy choice for the "Junk or Advance" cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless someone from PHG officially chimes in, and corrects me, the original intention was that you would only see 4 per game. They are pretty powerful as they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Carron
Canada
Thamesville
Ontario
flag msg tools
jgilmour wrote:
Unless someone from PHG officially chimes in, and corrects me, the original intention was that you would only see 4 per game. They are pretty powerful as they are.

I have to agree here. No where in the rules does it state that you would add a new improvement once one was activated, as a replacement.

Improvements can be built to improve life at the colony. To set up the Improvements module:

1. Add the crisis, survivor, crossroads, and objective cards marked with the hammer icon to their respective decks.

2. At the start of the game, shuffle the improvements deck and draw 4 improvement cards, placing them in a row face up near the colony.

During the game, items and other game effects will allow players to place advancement tokens on improvements. If at any time an improvement has advancement tokens equal to or greater than the number indicated on the card, that improvement’s ongoing effects are now active.
Place the improvement card or its corresponding improvement token, whichever you prefer, in the center of the colony blueprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashale wrote:
jgilmour wrote:

I have to agree here. No where in the rules does it state that you would add a new improvement once one was activated, as a replacement.

While technically correct, I think the issue is in how the rulebook for TLN is laid out. If you look at the setup section for the game is specifically says you should set aside a few secret objective cards and return the rest to the box. Other cards in the game also clearly state when items should be removed from the game.

Compare that to the improvement cards which simply say shuffle the deck and draw 4. And no mention that the others get returned to the box. When I've played with them, I've assumed once 1 is built, you draw a new one.

Thanks to Jgilmour though for clarifying the intent. That's good enough for me to play with ONLY those initial 4 draws as choices. After a few games with improvements I decided not to use them for a while because always having 4 choices at all times felt too over powered and made the game too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.