Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking to Get Into the Hobby rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nik M
msg tools
Hello all! So basically I am relatively knew to the hobby,(I own games such as Dead of Winter and Catan and some others but not too serious)but I have done my research on many board games. I was hoping to get some relatively new games(2015-2016). Here's the list I was thinking about. I really like the idea of player interaction and the style of "Dude's on a map." Here's the list:

Star Wars Rebellion
Blood Rage
Scythe
Terraforming Mars
Pandemic Legacy
Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a solid list of recent, popular games. Do you have a question or just wanted to share?

I guess we have different tastes, because I think the only one on your list that is of much interest to me is Star Wars Rebellion. Good luck and have fun! Hope you have plenty of free time as that's one thing required for this hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who is also relatively new to the hobby (2014), here is my advice.

PLAY THE GAMES FIRST BEFORE BUYING.

No amount of research will substitute for your own enjoyment. Some of my first purchases in the hobby are games that I not only don't want to play anymore, I don't even enjoy playing them when they are suggested. This includes some very popular, highly ranked titles like Pandemic, Forbidden Island, etc.

But I still play Ticket To Ride and Dominion regularly, and those are gateway games too, so YMMV.

Find yourself a gamer group. Play a ton of stuff, THEN decide what to buy. You should be in no rush. You are already "into" the hobby by registering for this board whether you know it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik M
msg tools
I guess I'm asking if these are good games for my group and I to get into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abigail Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having gone through something similar myself recently, I think you're starting too much at the high end. Work your way into the hobby a little more slowly--especially if you and your whole group are all new!

Codenames is great for you.
Pandemic Legacy may be great--if you know you like Pandemic and have a group of up to 4 that will be willing to stick together for 12 to 24 games. If you haven't play Pandemic, play it first.
Blood Rage is probably okay, though I would suggest playing Small World first.
Terraforming Mars and Scythe you should probably wait on. Instead, try 7 Wonders, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and Castles of Burgundy. 7 Wonders is a card drafting game (like Blood Rage, actually--maybe replace Blood Rage with Small World and 7 Wonders, then once you have a handle on them try Blood Rage). Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a tile placement and auction game. If the theme doesn't interest you, you can try Suburbia instead. I think these will prepare you for Terraforming Mars. I also really like Among the Stars in this category. That would also be a good starter (card drafting and tile placement). Castles of Burgundy is dice placement and tile laying--fun with lots of replayability and a good introduction.

I would also suggest trying Agricola or Viticulture.

If you can find a game group--maybe on MeetUp or something--you can try these games before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Evan, trying before you buy is a great thing. I often go to the board game cafe near me and pay the $5 sitting fee in order to test is a $50+ game is going to be good for me.

If there is no cafe, try to see if a store near you has a game night.

I think Codenames works with a large variety of people, and so I do recommend that. Based upon what else you said, I think the best thing for you would be to try Blood Rage and Star Wars Rebellion.

Star Wars Rebellion is too long for the people I play with and is best with 2 players, so it may not be right for your group, but if you are Star Wars fans, then I think it would be good. Perhaps try Risk: Star Wars Edition. It is not like Risk, so don't be scared if that is not your thing (I personally still love Risk after all these years).

Teraforming Mars is not like the other games on your list. I would definitely try that before you buy it. I also might try other Euro games first. Good ones to try are Caverna, Agricola, Stone Age, or Puerto Rico.

Also, I might recommend trying regular Pandemic first, with the group you want to go through Pandemic Legacy with. I think it is useful to learn that game before trying to play the Legacy Campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NBot wrote:
I guess I'm asking if these are good games for my group and I to get into.

Should be fine. You seem to be going with gut instinct on what will appeal which is a good starting point.

Nothing there seems too complicated to me, not if you're fine with something like Dead of Winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mean to come off sounding harsh. I just don't want you to make the same mistakes I made.

What I did with my gaming group was slowly introduce different games with different mechanics over time. We started with cooperative games like Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Betrayal at House on the Hill, and Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game.

Then we started playing some worker placement games like Stone Age and Champions of Midgard.

We tried Blood Rage to experience Area Control and card drafting. We also played 7 Wonders to experience the drafting thing.

We played Dominion for deck building.

Recently we played New York 1901 for tile laying and Five Tribes, which doesn't really fit neatly into any one mechanic. Mancala maybe?

Now that we have tried a lot of what is out there, I feel I can progress our group into things a bit meatier, like Le Havre, The Gallerist, Fury of Dracula (third edition) or A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)

But my point is, I wish I had experienced these games via borrowing as opposed to purchasing. While most of these games were a hit with my group, they weren't all a hit for me personally, yet they are all in my collection today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on where you are, there's likely a group already somewhere near you. If at all possible find one of those groups and play their stuff before you buy much of anything.

Resist the urge of "oh, it looks neat... I MUST POSSES IT!!" I have bought and gotten rid of so many games I never should have bought to begin with it would likely make you cry.

Kickstarter is not your friend. It is a gateway to a big pile of mediocre games with more piles of "exclusive" junk. It's very nature goes against the try before you buy advice. Having said that, there are good things to be found there, but it may take time to learn how to sort them from the chaff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik M
msg tools
Yeah maybe I should start a little smaller... I just want to dive in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik M
msg tools
Yeah no worries. I didn't interpret your comment as being harsh. I definitely think you're right that I should try 1-2 at a time, see what my group and I like, and go from there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for filling up your online cart with $100+ in games to get the free shipping. But that said, you should pick up games slowly enough that you are able to play them before buying more, lest you end up with a closet full of sad, unplayed games (like me). Better if you can play them first, but sometimes circumstances don't allow for it. The ones you picked seem like fine, well-rated games, but you may find you still don't like some of them. At least, using BGG & Ebay, there are plenty of ways to get rid of the extraneous ones!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik M
msg tools
Yeah that's the thing. I don't think my local game store won't have most of these games. But yeah, I tried to choose top rated games in order to play it on the safer side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.