Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

-Ignore the anti-hype. Apparently, after a few prominent reviewers gave it milquetoast reviews, it became trendy to dump on Seafall. I have no idea why, or why some reviewers didn't enjoy it. I enjoy it maaaaaybe slightly less than Risk and Pandemic, but that's more of a function of slight fiddliness of the rules than the game itself. If you love legacy games, I think you'll love this one. It's amazing.

-Prepare for direct conflict. You may have heard this described as a Euro. It is. But it also has direct attacks. You can raid each other's base and eventually each other's ships. You can steal valuable things, even points, from opponents. If you go in expecting a pure economic Euro, you're not going to have a good time.

-Prepare for randomness. Dice are a major factor. As are card draws, random events, and random results from the choices you make in the Captain's Log. This is an experience game, not a pure strategy game.

-Read the rules AND watch the videos. And make sure the other players do as well. You don't want to teach the game at the table (it will take 30+ minutes). The rulebook is not super great and missing many examples you wish it had. And there are lots of fiddly rules (my one negative of the game). Rodney does a great job at Watch It Played.

-Play with 4 players exactly. I feel like you'll lose a lot of interaction with only 3. But this game has a ton of downtime, and little to do when it's not your turn besides reread the cards/upgrade/buildings. Five is just too much.

DISCLAIMER: This doesn't mean you'll for sure love the game, or that you can't possibly enjoy it with 3 or 5 players, but I think my comments will apply to most lovers of legacy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
Read the rules AND watch the videos. And make sure the other players do as well. You don't want to teach the game at the table (it will take 30+ minutes).

I agree with most of the above, but I can't understand why someone would prefer 30 minutes of video watching to 30 minutes of learning the rules with their fellow players. It seems antithetical to what board games are about, which is doing things with other people. If it takes the same amount of time either way, do it with your friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
Read the rules AND watch the videos. And make sure the other players do as well. You don't want to teach the game at the table (it will take 30+ minutes).

I agree with most of the above, but I can't understand why someone would prefer 30 minutes of video watching to 30 minutes of learning the rules with their fellow players. It seems antithetical to what board games are about, which is doing things with other people. If it takes the same amount of time either way, do it with your friends!

Well if one has a large swath of gaming time, sure. But for me, that's 30 minutes we could have used playing another game. And game time is a precious commodity.

Any game that takes longer than 15 minutes to teach, if you have the other players learn it at their convenience (lunch break at work or whatever) you can jump into the actual playing of games when you get together, instead of spending a huge portion of it teaching the games to your friends.

Also Rodney is super thorough and rarely, if ever, misses anything. Which is why he gets paid for it. I've had a lot of games taught to me by hundreds of people, the number of rules missed is HIGH. And especially in a game like Seafall which has a TON of rules. I'd rather play with a group that was taught by a professional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option I enjoy is to watch Rodney's videos in the group, it also gives us the opportunity to stop/pause for any clarification than anyone may need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning rules outside of the play event makes sense to me. My gaming time is tight, but I can read rules and watch videos on a much more casual schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Can some recommend some good SeaFall tutorial/learning/teaching videos?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marwan_marwan wrote:

Can some recommend some good SeaFall tutorial/learning/teaching videos?

Thanks

I watched Rodney's Watch It Played, read the rulebook, watched the video again, and then read the rulebook right before we played. Still managed to make a couple of very minor mistakes (we didn't realize you rip up every Milestone card after completion, because sometimes the Captain's Log specifically says to), but for the most part it was very smooth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh S
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
Please also see Initial Seafall impressions and tips for enjoyment, I think the "Don’t correct every rule" is KEY. This is a competitive game, and small rule mistakes can make HUGE impacts and lead to lots of resentment. LOTS AND LOTS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

-Ignore the anti-hype. Apparently, after a few prominent reviewers gave it milquetoast reviews, it became trendy to dump on Seafall. I have no idea why, or why some reviewers didn't enjoy it. I enjoy it maaaaaybe slightly less than Risk and Pandemic, but that's more of a function of slight fiddliness of the rules than the game itself. If you love legacy games, I think you'll love this one. It's amazing.

Lol. That thread asking for people who finished the game is 95% people ragging on about how they all stopped at game 6. I was just utterly dumbfounded. It's like asking for a doctor and getting people who dropped out of a college bio-course. Like I'm glad you have an opinion and all, but I was hoping for one that was little more... well informed. Preferably one from someone who has some dedication.

I haven't finished it yet, either, but I am loving it thus far. Nobody is rushing the milestones, so our unlocks have been pretty well spaced out. We didn't unlock anything game 2 or 4. We play cautiously, but efficient. Its let us savor this very rich game without being over/underwhelmed.

I also strongly agree with the 4-player count, and knowing the rules well. (although in our case it's me memorizing the book and teaching everyone else).

As for it being Euro, I like someone else's description that this is actually a Ameritrash game with a deep economy. Think about it; It's got so much randomness between all the random draws,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(advisors, research, open-waters, damage, events)
, the book entries, and resolving endeavors with DICE ROLLS. The only Euro aspect here is the fact you can buy and sell goods with a pick-up and deliver mechanic, maybe the fact there is a common pool of structures/upgrades. I wouldn't call this a Euro game at all, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Neville
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most of my group also watched the video before our first session and we STILL misunderstood the rules for a ship sinking. We thought the ships sank when they draw their second damage card. Fortunately, we caught it early in our campaign, but it still cost the player in last place a milestone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary g
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't get overly hyped nor start reading every review and taking it to heart and my group is having a blast. Alot of what is keeping everybody engaged is the thematics I've included.

-Everybody get their own colored pen.
-I have a "Captains Log" which I have everybody use to jot down smack talk, milestones achieved, times when people have horrible dice rolled (usually me) and any of event that we all have a chuckle at.
-A giant skull and crossbones flag drapes my gaming room wall to get in the feeling.
-I have 'Epic' pirate themed musics playing in the background.
-I had a giant Lego pirate ship set built a long time ago that I use on the table to hold all the coins (booty)
-Everybody else has got into the 'experience' some buying eye patches others a Pirate hat from the Halloween store.

This is keeping us all engaged and excited for the next time we convene. Not to mention the actual gameplay which is not too 'take that' and not too 'pick up cubes' and we all love the 'Legacy' concept from Risk to Pandemic so to be able to play a game designed from scratch instead of on a established base is very exciting for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree with David

I have board games so I can be with people

I will still teach the game the same way
whether or not others watch the video

The video I watch several times to make sure I
understand the game when I teach it

I really enjoy teaching the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing it with 2 and enjoying it. That also takes care of the direct conflict "problem" for the most part!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary g
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How is it with 2P? How far along have you got?
Am looking to start another campaign with just my wife and I.
She just wants to take part in the 'journey' without committing to a full player count.
More relaxed? Boring? Works just fine just turns into a adventure/explorer game instead of a struggle for Glory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reshurc wrote:
How is it with 2P? How far along have you got?
Am looking to start another campaign with just my wife and I.
She just wants to take part in the 'journey' without committing to a full player count.
More relaxed? Boring? Works just fine just turns into a adventure/explorer game instead of a struggle for Glory?

We are 6 games in. Direct conflict has been low (which is okay for us). I'd say it's been a adventure/exploring/efficiency game at 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Update, 8 games in, still loving the game. But I do have some complaints now, and they mirror other things you've already heard.

There are some legitimate complaints though:

-As many folks have said, Milestones (and a few other *things* that become available a few games in) award too much Glory, which leads to WILDLY swinging scores. I can do an action and get 1 point from it, and you can do a similar action and get 8 (in the right circumstances, of course). All Milestones (and those *things* I mentioned) should award at least 1 fewer Glory than they do.

-Sinking is too detrimental and REALLY easy to have happen to you. If you sink because of simply a bad roll (dangerous sites were a bad design decision imho, and almost all sites are dangerous!) or if an opponent sinks you (which is REALLY easy to do), you lose at least an entire turn and you probably lost any hope of completing whatever plan you had for that game.

-It appears that it is too hard to catch up if you're far behind. We had one player who quit the campaign because he was 30 points down and never making up any ground. So we brought a new player in using the rules to add a player, but this new player is also struggling to stay afloat and is also 30 points down from the lead position. There are plenty of catch-up mechanisms in the game, but they don't make up for all the bonuses people get for winning and doing Milestones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

-Sinking is too detrimental and REALLY easy to have happen to you. If you sink because of simply a bad roll (dangerous sites were a bad design decision imho, and almost all sites are dangerous!) or if an opponent sinks you (which is REALLY easy to do), you lose at least an entire turn and you probably lost any hope of completing whatever plan you had for that game.

Yuck. Go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

I'm convinced lose-a-turn is the worst thing that ever happened to gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Yuck. Go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

I'm convinced lose-a-turn is the worst thing that ever happened to gaming.

See that's why I use one of my ships as a meat shield and keep most of my upgrades and other important stuff on the other.

Get attacked? meat shield takes the hit, lose nothing of importance.

Bad roll on a risky test? It's ok. Meat Shield Sank, not the good one.

Got money burning a hole in your pocket? 'Accidentally' sink Meat Shield to 'teleport' him home to faster upgrade it for the glory!

Of course this works less well if you rely heavily on ship upgrades early on in a game or you do not have sufficient hold values.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I had an opponent jealous of my advantageous position threaten to attack me and sink my ship because it had 3 goods and nice relic. I also had a ship with 2 damage and 2 curses in the same space. I said, "please do attack! You'll save me the effort of repairing that piece of shit boat." I was going to offload the goods before he could try again, too. He decided to just do something more productive than sinking my silly Meat Shield ship

For this reason I think FEARLESS is one of the most useful upgrades in the game. That's 4-6 damage you can offload from your main ship to a dumpy craft you just keep around for the bonus die!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
Bad roll on a risky test? It's ok. Meat Shield Sank, not the good one.

This doesn't make much sense to me. You have to take the damage on your flagship (except 1 hit with Fearless) and the flagship has to be the one with the upgrades and bonuses for the endeavor you're attempting, or you're just going to fail for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your flagship may not have an associated upgrade. Maybe all the good explore ones are taken. Maybe you want to raid something but haven't bought a related upgrade because you were focusing on explore/trade in the first half of a game. You instead buy a +3 advisor and swing for the fences rolling 7-ish dice. My main ship wouldn't be significantly better.

Not all that unlikely of a case, in fact I do it somewhat often. I don't really raid unless there's a good opportunity or I'm pushed to it. The meat shield does its job just fine. (Toss in a few fortune for good measure)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
Your flagship may not have an associated upgrade. Maybe all the good explore ones are taken. Maybe you want to raid something but haven't bought a related upgrade because you were focusing on explore/trade in the first half of a game. You instead buy a +3 advisor and swing for the fences rolling 7-ish dice. My main ship wouldn't be significantly better.

Not all that unlikely of a case, in fact I do it somewhat often. I don't really raid unless there's a good opportunity or I'm pushed to it. The meat shield does its job just fine. (Toss in a few fortune for good measure)

This seems to contradict your first post. Besides, most raids/explores that are worthwhile require your best ship to accomplish so your meatshield strat doesn't really hold water.

Get it? Hold water?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario

Ship1: sail3, explore 5, raid 2, hold 4- upgrades: intrepid and cunning
Ship2: sail3, explore 2, raid 3, hold 3- upgrades: none

My opponent has 40 gold in his vault and I have a +3 raid advisor. Which one am I going to risk? Ship 2. I've been in a similar situation maybe 4 times now. I sank once due to a bad roll. Not bad. One of the times he hit back. Also not bad because I didn't lose anything.

Would I risk 7 dice on a 5 defence province with a 1pt garrison if I would lose glory if it sank? No way. Without that over my head I can do so freely, however.

Sure if I had been focusing on raiding up to that point I would have the other ship as my explore meatshield and be properly equipped on Ship 2 to actually fight.

No contradiction here. In fact its paid itself off plenty. 1 flagship focus per game, 1 piece of fodder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is playing it with 5 and loving it. So I don't necessarily think 5 players is too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Random
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I have a group that is 5 and we enjoy it. Just need a bit of planning before your turn. I also have a group of 4 and one of the players is struggling with downtime, so I think it is person/group specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.