Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
I started into the hobby last year. My wife and I play games 4-5 times a week and I also have several gaming buddies whom I get together with both in and out of a weekly gaming night. I have a moderate collection which can be found here. I recently played Terra Mystica and was extremely pleased with it. I did not mind it's length nor its largely pasted on theme. I've had my eye on some other Euros for a while, such as Puerto Rico and Marco Polo. It seems to me that as a gamer, it's time to get my feet wet with a sample from some of the greats: Uwe Rosenberg and Stephan Feld. I feel really compelled for Castles of Burgundy to be my first Feld game, but I am almost overwhelmed by the sheer volume that Rosenberg has put out there: Agricola, Caverna, Le Havre, and now A Feast for Odin! Where should I start? My wife is into the longer strategic games. She likes to see where things are going and plan for the long run. My brother has similar tastes and I am almost always up for a good game.

Also, as Christmas is coming up, I am looking to add one more category to my collection: dudes on a map. I am considering Blood Rage and Cry Havoc, but am willing to take suggestions.

I recognize that these two game suggestions are on opposite sides of the spectrum. I am at the point in my gaming career where I have played a lot of the entry level games and am looking to delve a little deeper at both ends to see what appeals to me most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dudes on a map: Chaos in the Old World is amazing if you can find it.

Rosenburg: Le Havre if you want longer and multiplayer, Agricola All Creatures Big and Small or Patchwork if you would enjoy a 30 minute 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre is awesome.

For dudes on the map... Cyclades, Blood Rage, Cry Havoc and Kemet are all really good. I would just research each and see what strikes your fancy (my fave is Cyclades but they are all good.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played and/or own all games mentioned except Feast for Odin.

Marco Polo and Puerto Rico are amazing.

My girlfriend and I play 90% 2-player games, and we feel that all of Uwe's games work well. The age-old Agricola vs. Caverna debate comes down to whether or you prefer the tension of just barely having enough time to scrape by (Agricola) or the openness of a sandbox style game (Caverna).

Castles of Burgundy is a good game, but we found that Grand Austria Hotel scratched the same itch with a few more interesting mechanics that added extra tension and variability. It's by the same designer as The Voyages of Marco Polo and Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. Its only downfall is that the downtime can be a bit much at 4p if you have even one AP prone player.

I love Blood Rage to death, but it's just not very good at 2 player. You lose that epic carnage that happens when everyone attempts to pillage the same province. The 2p drafting variant also isn't as great. Cry Havoc works well at 2p, partially due to the presence of the Trogs. Since it relies on deckbuilding and faction asymmetry (a la Terra Mystica), it doesn't rely on a draft for replayability. At 3p and above, we do prefer Blood Rage though.

Other exceptional strategic Euros that scale well from 2 - 4 in the same weight range as the above:
Viticulture Essential Edition
Troyes
Scythe
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar (mentioned above)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up!

Based on this and other discussions, I have acquired the following games:

The Castles of Burgundy: My wife bought this for me for our "dating" anniversary last year. While the way the implements dice ultimately killed the game for her (it could have been the single worst response in gaming she has ever had), I am really fond of it and have included it in my 10x10 challenge as I hope to become more familiar with its strategy and come closer to mastering the game.

Blood Rage: This game has really taken off with my gaming group. It also found a spot in this year's 10x10 Challenge and is a crowd pleaser every time it hits the table. Fantastic strategy within the draft, tactical play on the map and the miniatures are the best I've played with. The whole game has a very cinematic feel to it.

Chaos in the Old World: Recently traded my Kickstarter copy of Colosseum for this. Yet to play but excited to try out!

Cry Havoc: Snagged at a great discount (only $26!!!) Punched and bagged but yet to play. My group has it scheduled for the middle of next month. We have to put all our games on the calendar to make sure stuff gets played.

Viticulture Essential Edition: My most recent purchase. NIS from amazon at $32, I only paid $12 after cashing in some points. Very excited for this great worker placement game, mostly because of the next item on the list.

Scythe: Absolutely fantastic game that my wife bought me for my birthday this past year. I have gone out of my way to buy everything available for this game: upgrades from meeplesource, promos, etc. Scythe is my number 2-3 game of all time behind Terra Mystica and battling with Lords of Waterdeep (with Skullport of course).

Sadly, my lone experience with Uwe remains a game of Glass Road over a year ago. I really want to experience his greatness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.