Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the most popular games to be debuted at this years Essen convention was Uwe Rosenberg's a Feast for Odin. Known best for his popular worker placement games; Agricola, Caverna, Le Havre and his abstract game Patchwork. A Feast for Odin has been in development for several years and in 2014 Patchwork was released using a core mechanism from his un-released Viking themed game. Patchwork was a hit and adored by those yearning for a clever 2 player puzzle game. Fast forward to the present and we have a humongous box that takes Uwe's best design achievements and blends them into one game. This usually leads to a mess. But in this case Uwe has created something truly brilliant.

I'm not an Uwe expert. My exposure to his world of games is still relatively fresh. But I know a great game when I see one and A Feast for Odin is an amazing game. Your first 2-3 games will be learning games. It is not light by any means. You will suffer from AP. You won't have a direction due the sandbox nature. You may even get really frustrated trying to puzzle your Tetris pieces to give you the best outcome. But once you become familiar with this Viking landscape he has created for you, you will never turn back.

The options and strategies are vast and the puzzle solving so very rewarding. You can be a farmer and never venture out. You can explore new lands. You can pillage to your hearts content. You can be a hunter, an explorer, a builder, a blacksmith, all for the purpose of hording your goods to be the richest Viking there ever was. The ways in which you achieve those riches are entirely up to you.

2016 has been a very strong year for gaming. A Feast for Odin is one of the best to come out in a field crowded with awesomeness. If this is something that interests you, please play it a handful of times. I promise you that by your 4th play you will be in love.

10/10

Pros:
-Patchwork mechanism works perfectly here
-Excellent production
-Endless options
-Hunt, Pillage, Farm, Explore. The choice is yours
-Solo play
-Occupation cards bring huge variability

Cons:
-A lot to learn
-Will take at least 2-3 plays to get comfortable with the options
-Massive box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your cons aren't really consDD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want people to not be scared off by the initial AP and downtime during the first few plays. This is a gamers game and only gets better with more plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
wojtkielewicz67 wrote:
Your cons aren't really consDD

In his defense, I always read pros and cons as "potential pros" and "potential cons" because any pro or con has the potential to go either way depending on the person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.