Patchwork» Forums » Variants

Subject: Contract Patchwork for tournament play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bbbb bbbb
msg tools
Hi,I think that Patchwork is the perfect game to play team game 2vs.2
with 2 copies of the game.
1)Place the patches in the same exact order in the two copies.
1)Patchwork
Team A player 1 starts first vs Team B player 1 starts second
2)Patchwork
Team B player 2 starts first vs Team A player 2 second

At the end you combine the scores Team A(player1+2) vs Team B(player1+2)

What i like
a)The game is totally balanced.
b)You play not only against your opponent but also the player on the other board that has the exact same starting position like you.
c)The strongest and weakest player can play like team for more even games.
e.x someone who plays the game for the first time.
That's about how contract Bridge(card game) works end transforms from an ordinary trick card taking game to something more competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søndergaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm never thought of trying that - sounds fun. Just need to find another copy of the game then. Thx for the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbbb bbbb
msg tools
Hope you enjoy and post some results if you want.
That way you can olso organised a tournament with many players.
for example with the classical scoring if the first player had large
advantage do to how the patches are placed would be unfair.
In a 40 players tournament
20 players would had 1 win(point) and 20 players 0 wins(0 points) after 1 round
but.... with International Match Point scoring https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_scoring
Lets say they where 20 games and all first players won by 15 points in games 1-19 you were playing at game 20 as second player and you also lost by 5 points.
Even if you lost like the other 19 players you would become the tournament leader.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Letsplay Another
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I suppose you could also do this with just two players. Before the first game, snap a picture of the setup or do something to record the starting layout of the patches. Then, after completion of the first game, set it up exactly the same way and reverse the starting player and play another full game. Whoever's combined score of the two games is highest is the overall winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peris30 wrote:
That's about how contract Bridge(card game) works end transforms from an ordinary trick card taking game to something more competitive.

Just FYI
It's called Team Duplicate Bridge when you play Bridge this way.
Contract Bridge also just called Bridge can be played Duplicate or Rubber and when playing Duplicate you can play in teams as you have suggested.

Anyways, great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Letsplay Another
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
tflawless wrote:
I suppose you could also do this with just two players. Before the first game, snap a picture of the setup or do something to record the starting layout of the patches. Then, after completion of the first game, set it up exactly the same way and reverse the starting player and play another full game. Whoever's combined score of the two games is highest is the overall winner.

Tried this tonight. I was concerned that it might be a bit boring or repetitive because it was two games with the exact same layout, but once the first different move was made it completely changed the rest of the game. Clearly, the person who won the first game is going to want to mix things up early in the second game in an attempt to not suffer the same fate as their opponent did in the first game. So the two games were very different. The second player seemed to have the early advantage in both games, and won both games, but by much different margins. I would highly recommend this format if you want to minimize the luck factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.