Subject: Does anyone play the standard game after their first play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As the designer acknowledges there's more luck in the standard game. ("Hey look, Arctic Algae in my opening hand. Good luck everyone!")

I don't plan to play the standard game ever again. With the Corporate Era cards you have a greater chance of recovering from a bad opener. How about you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play with most of the Corporate Era cards mixed in. My wife doesn't like "gotcha" cards very much so I've dropped most of those out (Sabotage, Raiders, etc).

I haven't thought about the "recover from a bad hand" aspect of this until now. I'll have to see how that goes with more games.

I've played a lot solo and some 2-player games so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Calling all Spielfrieks! It's time to vote for the Meeples Choice Awards at the Yahoo User Group!
mbmbmbmbmb
Still undecided if the additional time the Extended game takes is justified by better gameplay. I also kind of prefer starting off with a production of 1 in every category (not only does it accelerate things, but it often makes it easier to target the leader with the Take That cards). Still, a lot of the Corporate Era cards are fun.

Beginning corporations? Of course. Drafting variant? Absolutely. Extended game? Not sure. I'll have to play it some more to see which I prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If everyone has played before, and the extra game length isn't an issue, then I will probably always play with Corporate Era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jeff0 wrote:
If everyone has played before, and the extra game length isn't an issue, then I will probably always play with Corporate Era.

I feel the same way. I just love the more intricate engine building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Corporate Era with draft is the only way to play ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love CE and the Corporation cards. I haven't tried drafting yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
First game was five players, none of us had played before. We played with Advanced Corporations and drafting (but not the Corporate Era cards) and had no issues at all. We are all experienced game players but its really not difficult. Next play we'll chuck the corporate era cards in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brown
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
I've played twice. First time with 4 first time players. With the Beginner Corporation and the standard deck. The 2nd time was with 3 of the same 4 players (2 and me) and we played with corporations and the corporate deck. Both times we did card drafting. It was much longer but I didn't mind that. I liked it. It was fun and quite a ride. But, having said that, I felt that there was more randomness in the corporate deck, especially the blue card actions that let you draw a random card each round. And since none or almost none (I think) of the corporate deck cards terraform, it seemed the tension for tile laying and parameter bonuses was diluted. Interaction seemed rare.

Next time I will play with 3 first timers and do the regular deck again, but I'll just have to try both.

And, as I think about it I really don't know why after some experience, that players couldn't use selected cards from the corporate deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
As the designer acknowledges there's more luck in the standard game. ("Hey look, Arctic Algae in my opening hand. Good luck everyone!")

I don't plan to play the standard game ever again. With the Corporate Era cards you have a greater chance of recovering from a bad opener. How about you?

I'm not sure I did. I have said though, that the Beginner Corporations are more luck dependent than the named ones; you can draw a hand full of synergies, or a much weaker hand. With a Beginner Corporation you just take what you get, while with the named corporations you choose which cards you buy to your hand (fewer useful cards means more money left for actually playing cards).

Side note: Early Arctic Algae is very strong, but can be countered by asteroids and by avoiding placing oceans. Giant Ice Asteroid is fun - place oceans to give them plants, only to immediately smash them to peices!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was with 4 players, advanced corporations and corporate era cards. We missed the rule a out starting all production at zero though so while it went a little quicker than it should we all managed just fine.

Second game was 5 player, same cards and proper production and again played fine.

My third game was with 3, 2 being new so I tried keeping the corporate era cards out and while everyone enjoyed it I don't think I'll play with the smaller deck ever again.

Next time I want to do the draft as well. It will certainly cut down on the luck of the draw.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you have new players but they are experienced gamers, I think the full game would be fine, maybe not draft the first game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 3 times after learning from rules. Always with real corps, always with drafting. Once with CE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've avoided playing with the Corporate Era cards so far because I'd really like to explore the "basic" environment first. I'm enjoying it so far and knowing that I already have a sort of expansion included for later is really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
We just skipped the standard game altogether after learning the game from the rules. For experienced gamers, it's not hard just to start with the whole shebang.

We haven't used the drafting rules though, as it seems like it would just make the game longer for not much payoff (although I also enjoy the aspect of just getting random cards and making the best of them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaddy - I'm with you - a big fan of tactical read-and-react gameplay here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With large amounts of players (4 or 5) has anyone found the game to end too soon (not enough engine building or turns per player, as opposed to overall playing time which will be long with more players anyway) if you play with the one production per resource start? It seems like Mars could get terraformed before anyone could do too much themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
Sweden
Habo
flag msg tools
mbmb
stevepop wrote:

My impression is the opposite. The starting 1 production of each resource in the standard game makes it easier to recover from a "bad" starting hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.