BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for an engine building game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam

Boston
Massachusetts
msg tools
I've been looking for a good engine building game to add to my collection. I would like to find a game that has multiple different systems going at once with multiple different paths to victory. I would also like it if there was some form of player interaction, whether it's direct conflict or just simply outmaneuvering and playing off your opponents.

I've been thinking about picking up Food Chain Magnate, it seems to have everything that I'm looking for. The price is a bit of a deterrent though. I've also been hearing good things about Teraforming Mars but, when I watched some video reviews, the game didn't really hook me as much as Food Chain Magnate did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chain Magnate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both that you listed are very good choices. TM has some of the best game engine building out there, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Railroads - its an engine building game about trains and engines!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
Both that you listed are very good choices. TM has some of the best game engine building out there, IMHO.

I'm also looking for good engine-builders. This statement has put TM on my radar. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam

Boston
Massachusetts
msg tools
texascpa wrote:

What's the player interaction like in TM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deraygon wrote:

What's the player interaction like in TM?

There is a small amountnof "take that", but it is completely optional, meaning you can still play the cards for their other effects and choose not to be mean. Most of the interaction comes from outmaneuvering on the map for the best spots, exploiting your opponents hard work for a few easy points, and toming your plays so that you get extra bonuses for terraforming that they miss out on. There are also public goals that you are all competing for. There are 10 different goals only 6 of which can be claimed. Sometimes you may even be able to trick your opponent into paying for a goal they think they might win and then snipe it from them in the endgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Le Havre would be my recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam

Boston
Massachusetts
msg tools
Thanks for all the great info, I'll look into Russian Railroads and La Havre too. Another quick question: how does FCM, TM, and the others play at two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludger W.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Deraygon wrote:
Thanks for all the great info, I'll look into Russian Railroads and La Havre too. Another quick question: how does FCM, TM, and the others play at two?

TM is awesome with 2. No limitations, also there is a very good one player variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.