Subject: Nimble upgrade and defending against province raids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Shows
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
When a ship with the Nimble upgrade defends against a province raid, does it take away 1 die or two from the attacker's dice pool?

Nimble Upgrade Text:
"Add 1 extra die when a support ship."

From Rules p. 18:
"Defending ships in the region. Each ship is considered a support
ship and usually removes one die unless it has an upgrade or ability
that allows it to remove more."

The Nimble upgrade seems to fit the rules description, but since it only includes the word "add," not sure if it would remove an extra die in this case. Is there any official or consensus ruling on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking those two rules together, it seems to me that a Nimble ship is *meant* to have a two-die contribution when supporting -- which translates to +2 dice on offense, or -2 dice on defense. That's not really clear, though -- a literal read makes it look as though the ship subtracts one for being defensive support, then adds one for being nimble, which clearly makes no sense. I'm not aware of an official ruling, though until one is made I'd be inclined toward adopting the more sensible +2/-2 approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
msg tools
I am also curious about this same question. It makes sense to me that the intention for Nimble was to double the effectiveness as a support ship but I could easily seeing it specifically being written to make the improvement only help out when dice are being added and not make the ship better at defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me the rule covers this exactly. "Unless it has an ability that allows it to remove more." Surely there's no ability that specifically says you remove more dice when defending, since that's so rare. So it has to be referring to abilities like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shows
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to all - I tend to agree with what everyone has said, and besides being the most sensical ruling, I think it's also the most thematic. My group will play this way. It DOES make the Nimble upgrade a more powerful one, I think, compensating for the fact that it doesn't add "hit points" to the flagship during explore and raid endeavors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I concur. Especially in light of Becq's observation that a ship with nimble would give no advantage at all in defense (both adding and removing a die) based on RAW. Since that clearly is not the intent, go with the +2/-2 approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David's correct, this is the type of thing we were talking about.

Yes, this would remove an additional die from the die pool if supporting a defending ship.

Great question!

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stéphane losa
msg tools
Hello,

One more question :

defending ship is only "ship from the attacked region" or it is "any ship not from the attacker" ?

For example, if i raid one island where there is 3 others ships of other players, these ships are defending ships ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the starting rules, the only case where ships would defend against raids is if they are in their own province.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only your own ships will defend you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.