Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: Odin's Tide cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I believe there are 2 of these, where each player in the battle has to discard all but one of their figures in the battle.

We found this to be an overly harsh card that sucked a lot of fun out of the game both times it was played in our first session. Do some play without it, or does that mess up balance? Otherwise, does everyone just need to be aware it's out there and purposefully avoid putting all/most of your figures in one area?

It also seems harsh that the loser gets to keep that card to keep playing later. Just seems brutal, but we're new to game so thought I'd ask some veterans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I never pick that card. All the times it was used during battles I took part, it was awesome. It's freaking unexpected. Turning the tide of the battle with a card is part of the game.

Keeping/losing the cards is essential to the game. I have never seen anyone even considering changing that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not against it. It's one of the few cards that can "turn the tide" if one player gets very strong, sometimes because he/she just luckily drafted very good cards.

Otoh, Frigga's Protection can effectively counter it.

The thing is that when a player with a great army is facing just one or two opponents, he can expect a card like this to be used. It happens a lot that the strong player uses:
Heimdall's Watch - Discard all revealed cards. Then Play new cards
or
Thor's Primacy - Cancel the text of each opponent's reveled card before it takes effect.
when he's facing a weak opponent that doesn't really need a good battle card to defeat.

In my games it happens more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It didn't feel awesome in our game. The guy had 4 of 5 slots full, including a monster and leader, and declared pillage. Another guy moved in with single warrior. The 1st guy knew what he was gonna play but could do nothing about it. Lost all but 1 figure and guy who played it kind of felt bad as 1st guy was tapped out with nothing to fall back on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
Odin's Tide is a top tier card, and arguably the best overall single card in the game. And is one of the few cards that can easily stop a turtling strat, which some other players think is way too strong. If you did take out Odin's Tide, Turtling would probably become the strongest strategy in the game, since it would be extremely hard to force out an opponent from a single province.

Beseides a counter-turtling strat I have seen Tide be very useful for a:
Loki strat
Questing strat
Area Control strat
Pillage strat

It is also highly effective in combination with Valkyrie or Wolfman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

It didn't feel awesome in our game. The guy had 4 of 5 slots full, including a monster and leader, and declared pillage. Another guy moved in with single warrior. The 1st guy knew what he was gonna play but could do nothing about it. Lost all but 1 figure and guy who played it kind of felt bad as 1st guy was tapped out with nothing to fall back on.

Honestly, if it was my group playing, everyone would have laughed at the unfortunate player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:
Odin's Tide is a top tier card, and arguably the best overall single card in the game. And is one of the few cards that can easily stop a turtling strat, which some other players think is way too strong. If you did take out Odin's Tide, Turtling would probably become the strongest strategy in the game, since it would be extremely hard to force out an opponent from a single province.

Indeed. Sail into the fjord with a boat and use Odin's Tide to end the turtling. Otherwise people can keep provinces occupied from age 1 to 3.

And don't forget the Mystic that can destroy a warrior/mystic when invading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We did laugh initially -- after all death is quite prevalent in the game. But once the dust settled and we saw his stunned face -- and that he had 1 rage left to put out a lone soldier on his next turn (and he was in last place on the score track) it wasn't quite as funny to see all he had made evaporate like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
JYoder wrote:

We did laugh initially -- after all death is quite prevalent in the game. But once the dust settled and we saw his stunned face -- and that he had 1 rage left to put out a lone soldier on his next turn (and he was in last place on the score track) it wasn't quite as funny to see all he had made evaporate like that.
This game will continue to reveal itself over many many games. I would suggest continuing to play with Odin's Tide, but be more aware of the card in the games. If you have a large force, make sure you have Heimdall's Watch at the ready, or there are no more spaces available for someone to drop in and demolish, or you have Frigga's Protection, or you are baiting the player because you have several Glorious Death Quests, or...

The ONLY way I could even begin to think of removing this card, is if there was a some kind of ban/restriction on turtling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Makes sense. Like I said, we're newbies, so we'll just make ourselves aware of it and what it's trying to prevent. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thats the beauty of this game. Every strategy has counters. Someone who goes for lots of figures and power on the board and wants to steamroll everyone can be countered by this. If there werent cards like this, then it would make going for lots of strength a strategy that cant be countered, so you would have to do it to win. And that would make for a really boring game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin's tide is much more circumstantial in usage I've found.

The best times to use it is when someone has camped out an area. You might sacrifice a ship, but it opens the area up and others can come in to keep that player weak if they've gotten too strong.

There are other situations it is useful, and not just a hindrance card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should quickly find that a LOT of the cards are overpowered ... which kind of makes none of them overpowered. In any case, cards like that are a big part of making combat less predictable. Sure, a player can calculate just how much combat strength he needs to be guaranteed to beat whatever card you happen to have ... unless you happen to have a card like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin's Tide (as other people have hinted at our said outright) is one of the only way to stop turteling. If a player has a whole village to themselves and I even begin to suspect that they are going to use odin's throne that turn (so that they can keep the turn going forever without pillaging) I will always draft that to free up spaces in the village. Also it is usually the counter argument to a strong Yggdrasil pull and a reason why you might not want to go all into a fight there! If you removed the card it is not impossible to break into the location but it is significantly harder.

Yet again this is bloodrage! All cards are overpowered when used in the right way and your hold on any area is fickle and can be broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Holman
Sweden
flag msg tools
Here's my take on this in general (not this card in particular). There are similar events that cause similar actions, Fire Giant for example will wipe out all non-monster characters in a province when invading. That has once completely wiped my presence on the board.

However, this is part of the game for a reason, and if you use this correctly it will make it more balanced. When the card has been used in the past during your games it seems as if it's been used to hold someone down who's already lying on the floor bleeding. When we've used it it's because someone has been either A) doing a power play that will place them in the lead, or near the lead, B) been the leader due to overpowering the board with their figures, or C) the leader has used it to maintain their lead.

C is a "problem" but won't be as common as the others. And if you use all the cards to either try and topple the leader, gain the lead or maintain your lead the game will balance itself out.

But sure, once in a while you will just have the perfect opportunity to kick the little guy and it'll be fun, even for him (been there, done that, turned it around thanks to a Valhalla quest card).

And just remember, it's a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.