Subject: 7 ages was too much... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: empires [+] [View All]
Zenon Iblis
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, we tried 7 ages recently and it turned out to be too much to follow: charts here, charts there..

Is there anything Civilization-esque, which is suitable for 2 and doesn't have all these tables, charts, terrain movement modifiers?

Something with the information availiable right away? In the way of Stuggle of Empires, where you just get the rules and go. And you don't have to check with some additional sources, except board or tiles.

With the feeling of developing your nation, something strategic. Not too wargamish.

Anybody? Please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Advanced Civilization?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenon Iblis
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
Well, I have Civilization (not Advanced), but, I guess, it won't play well with 2.. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
How about either Antiquity or La Città.

Both boardgames. Neither are remotely wargamey, although there is more interaction in the first one.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenon Iblis
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
And is there something with conflict? We like conflict-oriented games..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
La Citta comes to mind as does Vinci... but that one needs 3 players. You might want to look into 2 other games that will be shipping soon...

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery

and

Conquest of Paradise

They both look like nice mixes of strategy/tactics without the extreme playing time and complexity of a game like 7 Ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is just right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gonzalez
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second on Through the Ages. It is an absolutely fantastic game. If you are at all interested in the idea of growing and developing a civilization then you will love this game. The only potential downside, which doesn't sound like it would be a factor in your case, is that the military aspect of the game is very abstract. There is no map on which to manuever, you just track your military strength and attempt to bring it to bear by playing cards. If you don't mind doing without that aspect of most civilization games, Through the Ages cannot be beat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like civ games and you also like Struggle of Empires, I'd say La Citta is perfect. It's got a sort of backdoor-wargame feel, no actual conflict but the competition for population feels like war sometimes. Also, it's out of print but you can find copies in BGG or eBay, unlike Through the Ages, which I would recommend also but it's completely unavailable until an oft-hinted reprint sometime in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages would be awesome, IF you can get a copy. Definitely watch for the reprint!

Antike has many of the elements you're looking for, though it may be too light for your taste. There's a map, gold/marble/iron production, military build-up, claiming of new territories, military conflict between players, and a mini-tech tree (8 advances). It's a good game with minimal downtime and plays in a couple of hours, so it may not be your ideal meaty gamefest, but if your group enjoys civ-y games, it's probably worth getting anyways. Good luck!

EDIT: And Antike plays 2-6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.