Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift» Forums » Rules

Subject: Limit of the Backpack slot and Player choices rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Squish
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

after almost one week looking at the box, flipping through the rules I finally found the time to read them completly and play the introduction scenario. This scenario is really helpful to pick up the rules in general and differences in LoS and movement rules from other games.

In general the rules are clear but I still have 2 questions
1: Limit of the Backpack slot
Excerpt from the rulebook:
Page 9:
5#Active Slots and Backpack Slots
These slots can each hold a single treasure, such as a weapon, an amulet, or a potion. Active slot treasures are currently in use, while backpack treasures are stored for later

The first sentence refers with these to all #5 slots while the second sentence uses plural for the singke backpack slot. Therefore I'm not sure if the backpack slot can store more than one treasure. Perhaps there are/will be hero's with more than one backpack slot. In this case it would be clear but I don't remember if the number of backpack slots differ from hero to hero like the number of active slots.

2: Player choices
Somewhere in the rules I read something like:
In hard scenarios the selected spawning location can decide if the scenario can be won or if it results in defeat.
If I execute any 'Player Choice' action, can I select the option which is best for the hero's and not the one which is probably the worst? I accidently spawned a Summoner in the introduction scenario at location where he was executed in the next hero phase. Actually I wanted to get to know the enemy but he didn't get a chance to do anything. So this was probably the best for the heros bug not for the enemies.

I can't wait to get some more time to play the next scenario. Unfortunately my 6 month old child would play with the miniatures in a way which they are not meant to be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell me about the children. arrrh

As for question two you can select the option that best suites heroes. You must follow the placement rules though.

If you place enemies to favour them, you would have "ultra hard" difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the backpack slots, the Tyra in the example has just one. I wonder, if other heroes have more. That would explain the plural.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Squish
Germany
flag msg tools
I just checked the 8 hero sheets I have. The acitve treasure slots very from 1-3 but each hero has only one backpack slot. Perhaps the backpack slot can also only hold one treasure regardles of its type (consumable, permanent, temporary). This would make sense in regards to the victims. It's mentioned that you could drop a treasure to make room for a victim in an active treasue slot. This would only be necessary if the backback slot is already at it's limit or the available active treasure slot contains a treasure which was already moved there this turn. Since you can't move it back you would need to drop it.

My first thought was that the reference to the victims would clear my confusion but this is not the case because there is a valid reason to drop a treasure.

Perhaps I will use the player choices as a "master". If the heros are too lucky I will use more difficul optinos. My introduction play yesterday was a lucky one I quess. I finished it with only one spawn action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
The amount of backpack slots is typically one. There ARE Heroes (not yet released) which have more than 1. There are also Heroes who have no backpack at all.

We have tried to accommodate the rulebook to a few upcoming expansion bits, so that you can still play with same rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
DSquish wrote:
Hi,
2: Player choices
Somewhere in the rules I read something like:
In hard scenarios the selected spawning location can decide if the scenario can be won or if it results in defeat.
If I execute any 'Player Choice' action, can I select the option which is best for the hero's and not the one which is probably the worst? I accidently spawned a Summoner in the introduction scenario at location where he was executed in the next hero phase. Actually I wanted to get to know the enemy but he didn't get a chance to do anything. So this was probably the best for the heros bug not for the enemies.

I can't wait to get some more time to play the next scenario. Unfortunately my 6 month old child would play with the miniatures in a way which they are not meant to be used.

If you chose to spawn a summoner and you spawned him to place where you can execute him/it, that was well played. Nothing wrong with that. Actually that is what you SHOULD DO.

And it's not only in hard scenarios, where stupid placement of enemies can become deadly.

Before you begin a scenario, you should take a look at the spawn pools and consider how you intend to spawn those enemies (to understand if you're in a hurry or not) and plan your tactic a bit. Spawning just the enemies that you can defeat, outrun or avoid instead of those that maim, kill and devour you is the key you'll need to find for each scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Squish
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for the classification and hints for the next add-on.

Once I find the time to play the next scenario I will see if I can shake of the dealing that I'm cheating when I spawn the enemies in positions which favour me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
DSquish wrote:
Thanks for the classification and hints for the next add-on.

Once I find the time to play the next scenario I will see if I can shake of the dealing that I'm cheating when I spawn the enemies in positions which favour me.

I sure hope that you learn - I fear that you can't complete the campaign if you can't...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.