Subject: What happened to this one? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was all the buzz coming out of Gencon after Tom Vasel praised it, but since then, hardly anything. Few reviews or comments, no Essen buzz. Nothing.

So what happened? Was it really not that great, or did it just get swamped under everything else that came out. I'm thinking about buying, but it's hard to get a feeling of how good it might be, and long-lasting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
This game was all the buzz coming out of Gencon after Tom Vasel praised it, but since then, hardly anything. Few reviews or comments, no Essen buzz. Nothing.

So what happened? Was it really not that great, or did it just get swamped under everything else that came out. I'm thinking about buying, but it's hard to get a feeling of how good it might be, and long-lasting.

It's OK, but it's nothing ground breaking. I enjoy playing it though, and I do consider it worth keeping, and playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,

The Dukes of Dice talk about in this episode:
http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/4747061/tdest_i...

Daily Worker Placement did a review here:
http://dailyworkerplacement.com/2016/10/18/arcane-academy-le...

Man vs. Meeple reviews it here:

Game Wire did an overview here:

Watch It Played did a How to Play here:

Board Game Brawl reviews it here:

Raf reviews it here:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/reviewcorner/arcane-academy-r...

And of course Tom Vasel reviews it here:

And I've probably forgotten or missed a few here and there (my apologies!) So, it's getting a fair amount of buzz, no worries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Cadieux
msg tools
Yeah I'm confused by this as well. The theme and ideas really seem to the tick all the right boxes to be a success. There appeared to be more buzz before it came out then after. The only thing I can think it got lost in the flood of new games. It made me hesitate buying this week.

So far I'm really enjoying it. I really like the tableau and building up the chain reactions. It flows really well and turns are quick. I was pleasantly surprised by the player interaction offered on some of cards.

I any of this appeals to you I recommend you check it out.
* Tableau engine building.
* Race to score most points.
* Light player interaction.

I really hope this is successful enough to justify an expansion. There has been a few posts the last couple of days. It may be taking a while to get to peoples tables with all the recent games coming out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
Well it has been my most played game within the past month or so.

Arcane Academy is light, fun, easy to bring to the table and works. All the the issues I have with gameplay are pretty minor. However that leaves my with not a whole lot to say about it. In online forums I tend to talk more about games that are heavier and/or have bigger issues -- and that means that while Arcane Academy has been my most played game lately, it hasn't been my most talked about game lately. And I have to wonder if a similar dynamic is in play with the sorts of reviewers who can drive buzz....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.