Jeff Gage
United States
flag msg tools
I am looking for a cooperative deck building game. I absolutely love Marvel Legendary and want to find something that is similar. After doing some research the top two contenders are LOTR: The Card Game and Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle. Which one would you guys recommend?

Criteria:
- replayability
- theme, good art work
- easy to teach, not overly complicated
- slightly difficult
- expand-ability is a plus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoTR no question, based on what you have said is important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Copenhaver
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played HP but I have played LoTR: LCG, though it doesn't meet all of your criteria; it's not slightly difficult; it's very difficult...but also extremely fun and rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abigail Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends. HP is probably better "out of the box." LotR requires a few expansions before it rivals HP in replayability and fun. Fortunately, there are a LOT of expansions available. But that's costly, too.

Replayability: LotR wins with expansions, HP "out of the box."

Theme and art: LotR wins easily.

Easy to teach: HP wins easily. Playing through the games in series creates a gentle learning curve.

Slightly difficult: HP wins easily. It starts easy and gets harder. LotR starts extremely difficult and just goes to impossible. Without expansions, I'm not sure that all of the three base quests in LotR are even winnable.

Expand-ability: LotR wins easily.

Abby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abigail Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, LotR isn't a deck building game like Legendary. HP is. LotR is more like Magic: you make a deck before you play and then playing the game tests how good of a deck you built.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
Scattle - Knock Knock.mp3
badge
mbmbmbmb
abigail91 wrote:
Also, LotR isn't a deck building game like Legendary. HP is. LotR is more like Magic: you make a deck before you play and then playing the game tests how good of a deck you built.

I was going to say the same.

Checking your criteria:

- replayability
E Definitely.

- theme, good art work
E If you are a hardliner about the source material: the game obviously takes some liberties. Other than that, the artworks are absolutely beautiful and the game has nice details like direct quotes from the books on many cards.

E Easy to teach, well, not really, as it is definitely a mid-heavy game with a steep learning curve at the beginning. Complicated, to some degree, I would say. What makes the game a bit complicated at the beginning are the different phases you have to go through on every turn, plus the game uses many keywords and it's easy to overlook some of the cards' texts because there is a lot going on on the table.

- slightly difficult
E This game is hard.

E Absolutely. Be warned though that this game can be really expensive in the long run if you are the kind of player who wants to own everything. Having said that, if you really enjoy the game, why not invest in it ? You can also do it at your own pace, since it's split into many adventure packs.

Don't get discouraged about the initial steep learning curve, as it can be a rewarding game. But again: this is not a deckbuilding game, you construct your decks before the game (which can also be a lot of fun in its own way) !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"A) Lord of the Rings LCG or B) ..."

"A) !!!"

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
#MeToo
mbmbmbmbmb
It could also be worth considering the Arkham Horror LCG. Just Almost released, coming after the LotR experience so that many errors that were done developing that game were fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fritz
United States
Maple Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a week of not playing.

Harry potter: I remember the rules
LoR: I have to look at the rule book

Both fun games.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jgage07 wrote:
I am looking for a cooperative deck building game. I absolutely love Marvel Legendary and want to find something that is similar.

have you already excluded Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game? it's awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jgage07 wrote:
I am looking for a cooperative deck building game. I absolutely love Marvel Legendary and want to find something that is similar. After doing some research the top two contenders are LOTR: The Card Game and Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle. Which one would you guys recommend?

Criteria:
- replayability
- theme, good art work
- slightly difficult

We own LOTR and have played it quite a bit. Have not played Harry Potter yet.

Replayability: Good, with expansions. There are 3 quests in the base game box.
Theme and artwork: Really nice art. Some quests feel more thematic than others. Reading the flavor text helps a lot.
Easy to teach: It's not bad.
Difficulty: Varies a lot based on the quest. Some are extremely difficult while others are much easier.
Expandability: Extremely high.

I think the biggest consideration is how much time you want to put into the game outside of playtime. Harry Potter is "set up and play" and doesn't require any extra time to deck build. LOTR will require that you spend some time outside the game building your deck. You may need one type of deck for one quest and another type for the next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
It could also be worth considering the Arkham Horror LCG. Just released, coming after the LotR experience so that many errors that were done developing that game were fixed

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

I believe the release date is tentatively November 3rd (it was delayed), with the Deluxe expansion coming in December and the first mythos pack in Q1 2017.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
#MeToo
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
It could also be worth considering the Arkham Horror LCG. Just released, coming after the LotR experience so that many errors that were done developing that game were fixed

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

I believe the release date is tentatively November 3rd (it was delayed), with the Deluxe expansion coming in December and the first mythos pack in Q1 2017.

blush

Sorry, I thought that since it was for sale at Arkham Nights, it was officially released! Thanks for the fix, Paris!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
It could also be worth considering the Arkham Horror LCG. Just Almost released, coming after the LotR experience so that many errors that were done developing that game were fixed

It is quite a bit different to LotR, too.

But, yeah, the experience with that one will certainly benefit the AH LCG.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
ParisPink wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

blush

Sorry, I thought that since it was for sale at Arkham Nights, it was officially released! Thanks for the fix, Paris!

Oh how I wish! Sooo excited to get my own copy! I believe it was suppose to release this week but something happened to cause the delay. #sadpanda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
I own both so here goes.

LoTR is unquestionably a "better" game. But it is not for me. I bought expansion after expansion hoping it would get better but for me but it never did. It just kept adding more complexity, more choices, more difficulty. I finally, after probably $250+, threw my hands in the air and gave up.

Its objectively pretty awesome. Just know what you are getting in to.

Harry Potter is Freakin Awesome!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.