Hide
8 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero - Slider rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brain craft
msg tools
Again, not entirely happy about this one. I can't tell whether that's because the late game is too good or not good enough.

For art, she's a short-haired black woman in a black and grey MGS-style sneaking suit and goggles. Her power visually looks weird, like an animation smear rather than a bamf. Her autopistol has an extended magazine.

Bio: Rookie cop Aisha Villanueva stumbled upon a heist at a physics research facility. Her partner was shot and killed attempting to apprehend the thieves, and Aisha was exposed to deadly quantum particles (?) and left for dead. When she recovered, she had gained the ability to “slide” herself through space, rapidly teleporting across short distances. Moreover, she could briefly exist at multiple points in spacetime before collapsing into a single iteration of herself, making her impossible to pin down and allowing her to literally help herself. The federal government was greatly interested in her new abilities, and she found herself working for the FBI, NSA, and CIA as the superpowered super-spy Slider. After long years in the field, Aisha is bitter and vengeful, but understands that she represents the last line of defense against supervillainy.

SLIDER (26)

Probable Cause
(Power) Play the top card of your deck.

Incapacitated
- One player may draw a card now.
- One player may use a power now.
- Destroy 1 Ongoing card.

Equipment (12)

Autopistol (4): (Equipment, Limited) (Power) Slider deals up to two targets 2 Projectile damage each.

Flashbangs (2): (Equipment) (Power) Slider deals up to three targets 1 Sonic damage each. Reduce all damage dealt by those targets by 2 until the start of your next turn. Destroy this card.

Planted Explosives (2): (Equipment) At the end of the Environment turn, you may destroy an Environment card and deal one target 3 Fire damage. If you do so, destroy this card.

Sneaking Suit (2): (Equipment, Limited) The first time Slider is dealt damage by a non-Hero target each turn, reduce that damage by 1.

Tracking Device (2): (Equipment, Limited) At the start of your turn, reveal the top card of your deck. Replace that card or discard it.
“Don’t worry, he won’t be getting very far.” - Slider, Crimebusters #8

One-Shot (20)

All of the Above (2): (One-Shot) Reveal the top four cards of your deck. Put up to two of the revealed cards into play and discard the others.
“Which way did she go?” “Everywhere!” - Guards, Infinite Strife #27

Brutal Execution (2): (One-Shot) Slider deals one target 2 Melee damage. If that target has 2 or fewer HP, destroy it.

Close Encounter (3): (One-Shot) Slider deals one target 1 Melee damage. Draw a card.

Gear Cache (3): (One-Shot) Search your deck for an Equipment card. Put it into play or into your hand. Shuffle your deck.

Omnidirectional Assault (3): (One-Shot) Slider deals each non-Hero target 2 Projectile damage.

Sabotage (2): (One-Shot) Destroy an Ongoing card. One target deals itself 2 irreducible Lightning damage.
“This looks important.” - Slider, Crimebusters #7

Schrodinger’s Bullet (3): (One-Shot) Slider deals one target 3 irreducible Projectile damage. If the target is not destroyed, you may use a power.
“One way or another, I’m gonna get you.” - Slider, Infinite Strife #9

Surveillance (2): (One-Shot) Reveal the top two cards of the Villain deck. Place one on top and one on the bottom of the deck.

Ongoing (8)

Exit Strategy (2): (Ongoing) If Slider would be dealt 3 or more damage from a single source, you may redirect that damage to a target of your choice and destroy this card.

Rapid Relocation (3): (Ongoing, Limited) At the start of your turn, you may use a power.

Stutter Step (3): (Ongoing) (Power) Play a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looking at the deck, I'm not getting a strong sense of theme here. She looks like she might work well enough, but she comes off as more of a SWAT-powered tactical fighter than someone who can teleport or get help from clones of herself. From the description, I was kind of hoping for something more like a heroic Proletariat. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
Yeahhh. I'm kind of working off memories of the character's origins as a TTRPG character, where mostly she was a spy/assassin who occasionally used superpowers to multiply the number of guns she was shooting. If anyone has a more creative way to represent the theme in deck form, I'm open to suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I consider it, what's TTRPG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Table top Role Playing Game, I suspect?

I'd agree with TakeWalker that with a handful of exceptions, this doesn't really feel like a super teleporty hero - more like a commando gun nut. Which is fine - she has some nice ideas playing in this space. I like Planted Explosives, Flashbangs and Tracking Device especially. You could either reduce/remove the teleporting power and just make her a straight up commando, or do some reworking.

Based off Takewalker's idea of heroic Proletariat... You could include a bunch of "Slider" target cards in the deck (4 HP or so?) that could get played, and then have cards that that key off them being in play. For example, Omnidirectional Assault could be something like "Choose a target. Each target named Slider deals it 2 projectile damage"? Just off the top of my head, it'd need some development.

Individual card notes...
Sabotage should be doing Lightning damage rather than Electrical, I'm guessing?

While I personally believe Heavy Plating/Fortitude/Ta Moko/Etc are a bit too strong, Sneaking Suit is going to be compared to them and seem weak. That's not a bad thing balance wise, but be aware of it.

All of the Above seems very very strong! Playing two cards from the top of your deck is fantastic, your one play becomes two plays AND two draws, the only disadvantage being you don't have that much control over exactly what is played, and choosing 2 from 4 reduces even that. Necro is the only hero I know of who has something similar, and it is much higher risk for him given the nature of his deck than it is for Slider. Maybe a bit too good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than go the full Proletariat - targets that deal damage - I was thinking more like a series of ongoings. At the start of your turn, she deals herself a damage, but she can use extra powers or play extra cards, and can even use her base power multiple times in one turn. (Because each clone would have that innate power, but equipment, etc. would have to be shared.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
Adelphophage wrote:
Sabotage should be doing Lightning damage rather than Electrical, I'm guessing?

Right, fixed.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I think that Rapid Relocation and Stutter Step are a little bland, but I don't have any specific ideas to jazz them up. This deck might just sit on the back burner for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Some things to ponder when you get back to her:

1. Do you want her to be a burst damage dealer? Her simultaneous existence is really cool, do you want her to build up for bursts of damage to show that off?

2. She has 4 copies of her pistol, and 3 that can get it from her deck. That is a lot. If she used those extra copies it would be really cool, otherwise it is going to be a lot of dead cards in hand.

(A). Something that let her discard auto pistol(s) from her hand to use auto pistol multiple times would deal with both of the first two really well.

3. I don't think her base power fits her very well. That kind of acceleration isn't needed with her deck.
She has 4 powers in her deck, 2 are card play powers (innate and stutter step) and 1 destroys itself (flashbang)
This makes her very focused on Auto Pistol, and it makes additional power uses (6 cards give her additional powers) not as valuable.

Focusing on Auto-Pistol could really work, we don't have a hero that is that focused on a weapon, and using it multiple times could work well.
If you go that route I would consider giving her ability to modify it, similar to how Expat, Chrono and Mr Fixer modify their attacks. Maybe one shots that will alter the damage type, add additional targets or let her use the power multiple times. Even a card like Execution could just modify her power.

If you go that route I'd give her a simple base power that deals damage, for the times you don't have Auto Pistol, and then have one-shots modify damage until the end of the turn.

A base power like: Slider deals 1 target 1 melee damage, you may draw a card.

Then one shots like:

Brutal Execution
One Shot
Until the end of this turn, when damage dealt by Slider reduces a target to 2 or fewer health, destroy that target.

Just what I would do, I hope it helps you. (I don't ever intend to push someone to make their deck my way, I hope it doesn't come across that way, I just throw out what pops in my head in hopes that it sparks someone's imagination)

Alternately, give her a few more equipment powers to balance out her arsenal so she isn't going to sit on a bunch of auto pistols all game and use extra powers to just play cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.