Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This new version of Through the Ages is IMO fantastic: the rulebooks are well written and comprehensive. The artwork is very attractive. The iconography is superb. I like that values are now printed on all of the spaces of the Military and Science tracks. I love the end-of-turn sequence printed on the player mats. And I like the rule & card revisions as well. I love that the card row is on its own board so I'm not knocking the other markers around. All of this is very well done!

I do have a few quibbles, however. Here they are, and the fixes I've taken for them:

The Card Row:
(1) I used a black Sharpie to mark the boundaries more clearly between the three sections. (The understated shading difference is a little too understated for my eyes.)
(2) I used a red Sharpie to color in the "2", "3", and "4" in the "number of players" headings, so that these are more easily seen, too.

The Cube Markers:
(1) It's great that these are now cubes, and that they're bigger. I just wish the yellow ones weren't translucent: it makes them hard to see at a quick glance, especially when in the Unused Worker pool. [I've ordered the Mayday Games "Through the Ages" wooden cubes set, as a fix.]

The Cards:
(1) They are a bit thin, but I'll be sleeving them, so that fixes that.

The 3- and 4-Player marks on the Cards:
(1) These are all but impossible to see! Finding them in the Civil decks takes too much effort: I'll be putting a black Sharpie dot near the 3+/4 text on the cards that get removed so that they're easier to spot.

The Military Strength Icon:
(1) The number inside the crossed-swords icon is white on silver, a bit hard to see. For now I'm leaving the cards as is, but if it proves to be an issue, I may color the numbers in with a Sharpie as well. (I don't want to, as there're quite a bit of affected cards.)

Other:
(1) I've created a simple "beginning of turn" Sequences of Play track that I follow with a spare block: Update Card Row-->Resolve Wars-->Share Tactics-->Political Event-->Action Phase-->End of Turn.
(2) I miss marking the Pact cards with player-colored blocks as in the previous edition. Fortunately I have some extra blocks lying around that I'm using for this.
(3) Placing Discontent Workers on the Happy Face track is problematic, for it's easy to bump them back into the Population Bank. For now I mark these spaces with black cubes, just as a reminder. (Having opaque cubes in the Unused Worker pool will help as well.)
(4) I wish the mats were a bit thicker, but as I place them under Plexiglas when I play, it's not a real issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerrod Warr
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash62bill wrote:

The Cards:
... but I'll be sleeving them, so that fixes that.

Boy are you in for a surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mercopparis wrote:
Smash62bill wrote:

The Cards:
... but I'll be sleeving them, so that fixes that.

... ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mercopparis wrote:
Smash62bill wrote:

The Cards ... but I'll be sleeving them, so that fixes that.

I assume you're referring to the fact that there aren't any sleeves of precisely the right size, as discussed in this thread (Card Sizes). But yeah, I'm aware of that little bugaboo.

------------------
Edit: I purchased the Mayday Games Premium Sleeves and have simply cut off the excess length with scissors after the cards were sleeved. Quick and easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.