Ray Regular
Canada
Kensington
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I propose that the Category/Column in personal collections of "Want In Trade" be completely removed.

The Category/Column "Wishlist" is much better for users to list games they would need/want. It allows them to rank the games in priority of want, whereas "Want in Trade" only lists the games.

Having both only leads to confusion as different users use the two categories differently.

Potential trading partners are missed because trading searches don't use "Wishlist".

Just a thought I had and wanted to put out there. Maybe someone has a very good and valid reason why BGG should keep both Categories?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wishlist can indicate that you want to buy it, or you want someone (spouse, Secret Santa) to get it for you. Want in Trade is specifically that you want it in trade. If I want a used copy of something in trade, I can mark it Want in Trade, whereas if I want to give my husband gift ideas, I put it on my wishlist, and rank how much I'm interested in it. There's no reason someone can't mark it as both, if they want it in trade. But I don't want people offering me trade proposals for something that I have on my holiday gift list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Regular
Canada
Kensington
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Wishlist can indicate that you want to buy it, or you want someone (spouse, Secret Santa) to get it for you. Want in Trade is specifically that you want it in trade. If I want a used copy of something in trade, I can mark it Want in Trade, whereas if I want to give my husband gift ideas, I put it on my wishlist, and rank how much I'm interested in it. There's no reason someone can't mark it as both, if they want it in trade. But I don't want people offering me trade proposals for something that I have on my holiday gift list.

See, I knew someone would have a good and valid reason why they would want both. Personally though if I have a game on my wishlist and some is willing to trade it to me, I won't be offended by a trade offer.

Like I had said, different users use/view the two categories differently. You see the wishlist as a convenient tool for specific times/events. Whereas I would like to use it as a tool for all to see all the games I would like to have without having to maintain two categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellionus wrote:
Whereas I would like to use it as a tool for all to see all the games I would like to have without having to maintain two categories.

You don't have to maintain two categories. Use the one you want and ignore the other one. If you invite trade offers, I'd suggest you use that one as your de facto wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to use the wishlist for unpublished games that I have not preordered but desire to some extent (wishlist level). They don't clutter up my want in trade this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellionus wrote:
Having both only leads to confusion as different users use the two categories differently.

The entire Collection system is set up to allow every participant to use in any manner individually desired.

I can't imagine what would be usefully gained by taking away such a small feature already in use. I also marvel since so often the requests surrounding this module are about adding something: one_more_box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The OLWLG for math-trades uses the "want in trade" status of your games when you synchronize your collection. Remove that functionality and you'll catch hell from a lot of the power users of this website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
The OLWLG for math-trades uses the "want in trade" status of your games when you synchronize your collection. Remove that functionality and you'll catch hell from a lot of the power users of this website.

Power user on BGG? If ever there was a title that merits mockery... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Regular
Canada
Kensington
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

It could/would be replaced by the "wish to have"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Regular
Canada
Kensington
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Hellionus wrote:

The entire Collection system is set up to allow every participant to use in any manner individually desired.

I can't imagine what would be usefully gained by taking away such a small feature already in use. I also marvel since so often the requests surrounding this module are about adding something: one_more_box

I was thinking more of streamlining the lists. But of course we can do it individually on spreadsheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two have very different meanings. The games I would trade for are a different set than the games I want to buy or receive as gifts. As a concrete example, I would be much more willing to trade for a game I'm only curious or on the fence about. However, I would not want someone to spend their hard earned cash on such a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.