$35.00
Brett Fuglsby
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like the title says I like both the Imperial and Rebels factions a lot but the Scum and Villainy just doesn't cut it for me.
This is where there is a difficult decision I'm fine with getting S&V packs but only if they have cards that apply to the other factions well. That being said my favorite ships are the TIE Defender, B-wing, A-wing, X-wing, TIE Interceptor, and TIE Phantom. What S&V expansions should I get to supplement those ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion: Play with all the upgrades you want, try out the builds you like, and as soon as you go to a tournament, either look whether you can lend the cards from somebody (shouldn't be a problem much of the time), or buy the ships they come from after all.

Or, give S&V a try, they have lovely ships and awesome builds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A StarViper or two should top your list — Authothrusters are a must for anything with Boost. The M3-A has a good selection of cannons. A Mist Hunter might be worth it for Electronic Baffle. The JumpMaster has Rage, which is a good second EPT for Tycho. Most Scum ships are pretty heavy on Scum-only stuff, though. The new Concord Dawn Protector has nothing for non-Scum, so avoid that.

With Heroes of the Republic and Wave IX there are going to be new ways to use Illicit cards, so consider that as well.

I agree with the above, though; Scum is a ton of fun, and the recent FAQ has done away with some of the cheesier lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scum and Villainy is pretty much where I stopped collecting X-Wing. I may return someday when X-Wing offers more interesting ships to fly (The TIE Striker is tempting...), but as long as Scum gets more ships per wave than the other factions, I'm happy in Armada where the waves are still balanced over more desirable factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But there isn't an imbalance, really. Not toward Scum, anyway. Scum has been getting more ships per wave because it needed to catch up. Even now it has fewer ships than anyone else, and that's counting cross-faction ships. It's only getting one ship in Wave X. Rebels/Resistance and Empire/FO are getting two each.

Scum: 14 (10 unique ships if you discount the Y-wing, Firespray, Z-95, HWK)
Empire/FO: 15
Rebels/Resistance: 16

That's as of the upcoming Wave X. Right now the totals are 13 Scum/13 Empire/14 Rebels. Scum isn't outpacing the other factions at all. And this isn't taking into account Aces/Veterans/Heroes packs or huge ships, which Scum doesn't have yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm aware scum needs to catch up. I just don't care about that faction or the ships they fly.

Had Empire and Rebellion kept releasing 2 ships per wave, we'd be closer to getting things like the TIE Advanced Avenger and Assault Gunboat released, since we'd be cutting through dud ships like the TIE Punisher quicker. Instead when the Empire is offered one of those ships, that's it for the next several months.

I was never interested in the scum faction, and every time I considered X-Wing for the past few waves, I'd just see two more scum ships and an Imperial craft I'm not even half interested in flying.

While that changed some with the TIE Striker, in Armada, we're getting the Arquitens cruiser on top of a new fighter pack containing TIE Defenders, with no scum in sight. I don't have a lot of money so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean the TIE Avenger? I don't know how different that could be from the Advanced, honestly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Wing-X releases so many ships so fast, all of which you need to own at least one of (for the card addiction the game depends upon for its financial model), that I quit when S&V came out, too.

It's a Collectible Card Game under a miniatures interface, and I'll have none of it. I am genuinely surprised that its popularity continues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Do you mean the TIE Avenger? I don't know how different that could be from the Advanced, honestly.

For starters, Attack 3. A TIE Interceptor-like movement dial. A system slot built-in instead of retroactively added like the Prototype title card for the TIE Advanced. Introduce maneuvers made for the T-70 and TIE/Fo. Lots of things.

X-Wings aren't title-card-enhanced Z-95s are they? Same deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliodorus04 wrote:
Wing-X releases so many ships so fast, all of which you need to own at least one of (for the card addiction the game depends upon for its financial model), that I quit when S&V came out, too.

It's a Collectible Card Game under a miniatures interface, and I'll have none of it. I am genuinely surprised that its popularity continues.

It's more of a living card game, because you know exactly what you're getting. I like those, unlike the collectible ones where I have to resort to eBay for overpriced cards to satisfy my completionism.

It's a much more plannable expense.

Also, the very fact that it's a living breathing thing that has an ever-changing meta is what attracts me, and almost certainly others as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
For starters, Attack 3. A TIE Interceptor-like movement dial. A system slot built-in instead of retroactively added like the Prototype title card for the TIE Advanced. Introduce maneuvers made for the T-70 and TIE/Fo. Lots of things.

X-Wings aren't title-card-enhanced Z-95s are they? Same deal.

The gap between the Advanced and the Avenger is a lot smaller than the gap between the Z-95 and X-Wing, but I take your point. I do feel like the Avenger isn't far off enough from the Advanced to really be distinct from it without duplicating a lot of the function of, say, the Defender. Kinda like how, aside from having SLAM, I'm not sure what role the missile boat would fill that the Punisher doesn't already (or how it could improve on it).

And yeah, this really isn't a collectible card game. Those are defined by random packs and tiered card rarity. You know you can get whatever cards you want by getting whatever ship has it packed in in X-Wing. Whether that's a ship you want is another matter, but most non-unique cards end up duplicated down the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.