Joe LaPorta
msg tools
mb
Hey Everybody:

I am working on a card drafting game. In it's current iteration, each player is dealt 12 cards and and selects 1. He then passes the remaining cards to the player on his right. From those he picks 1 card and passes the remaining 10, etc. Pretty standard drafting mechanic.

My big question is whether the game would flow a bit faster, and give the players a greater control over the hand they are assembling, if each turn they selected 2 cards instead of 1. For better or for worse, there are 120 cards in the deck with some cards having up to 3 copies. Some cards mention individual cards by name, which adds a wrinkle.

So I guess the crux of the question is:

WHAT IS THE STRATEGIC DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DRAFTING ONE CARD VS. 2 OR MORE CARDS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The cards dealt to you and to the player on your left are more important (as your first 4 picks are all in those cards).

Randomness has more impact and tension is decreased (you cannot agonize about "pick this or that", you just grab both).

Extreme example: if you'd pick 12 cards, the game is no longer a draft and you just keep what you're dealt (as in most standard card games).

Based on how your game is (brain burner? very light? with cards full of text and info? with cards being just number and color?), this is a small price to pay to speed it up or a deal breaker (only you may judge that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe LaPorta
msg tools
mb
It is a fairly light game. There are only two types of cards: Characters and actions. About thirty percent of the characters, and all of the actions have game text. Characters have one or more of the four faction affiliations, and 3 stats. Depending on which objectives you have drawn (which is the game's main path to victory)some or all of that information may be relevant. I am not sure if any of that changes how important this decision becomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.