Popular Tags: [View All]
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came home today to find that someone had broken into my house and robbed my family. The monetary value lost wasn't huge, but it hurts. More than that, though, was the sense that someone violated our space.

They took all of my wife's jewelry - the worst part is that half of it was either made by her grandfather or belonged to her grandmother, great-grandmother, great-great-... The sentimental value was off-the-charts. And she is crushed right now.

Not one of my games was touched (I think) but I'd trade every one of them to get my wife's stuff back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmb
I'm so sorry, that has to feel just horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sorry. This happened to my friend a few years ago in north phoenix and his young son had bad dreams for months from the idea of the violation of space by bad guys. Everyone is safe, so that is the most important. But it can take awhile to feel safe. It is a violation that makes you feel sick and angry.

Be thorough on the police report, you never know, things might turn up. Also, check pawn shops in your area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this happened to my family (almost twice) when I was a kid. I'm sorry you and your family have to experience this but am thankful you and yours are safe. Had you and your family been home during the burglary this could have been a much worse thread, so I am thankful that it is not.

Other than pawn shops, keep an eye out on craigslist for antique jewelry listings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the positive thoughts, all. i am grateful this wasn't worse.

we spoke w/ the police and we are going to watch the pawn shops closely.

I am hoping this doesn't traumatize my kids. they've already said they're worried about sleeping tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. The sense of violation is real.
Sounds like the jewelry was unique. Definitely alert pawn shops and antique shops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a real bummer.....I'm so sorry to hear that you have to go through this experience.

What part of Phoenix are you in?, if you don't mind me asking. I'm down in Chandler and we've had a few cases of break-ins in the neighborhood....not too much.

A co-worker of mine who lives in Gilbert just shared an interesting story with me (not sure when it happened) where he heard a noise in the middle of the night, came down the stairs to find a man and a woman in his kitchen with flashlights. He chased them out the garage, down the street, caught them, and detained the husband until the police arrived. The wife came back when her husband was caught and detained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Primeau
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cory I just wanted to send my best wishes. We got robbed a LONG time ago at my parents house when I was a teen...and then my parents got robbed again about 10 years later...they actually took the van somehow.

But in that first robbery they took my mom's jewelry, and it had some great sentimental value. I really don't know if this helps, but soon enough we took solace in each other and we did get through it. It's the violation aspect that takes some time.

Just know that the board game community surrounds you with compassion, and the many good folks in this community are thinking of you and your family.

Regards,

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Zaandam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so sorry, I know how it feels. It's not the taking, it's the whole idea of someone being in your private space and all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is terrible. Not once do the thieves think about the lasting mental effects of the victims.

I wish you and your family the best of luck in finding this scum bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to hear this and I feel your pain. When I had been with my wife for only a year or two, someone broke into our apartment while we were at work and stole everything of value. Thankfully, at that time we didn't own anything that was overly expensive. The break-in occurred soon after Christmas, so we lost new clothing that hadn't been worn yet (including a leather jacket my wife had bought me). We also lost a VCR, a couple of CD players, a couple of televisions, and some jewelry. We also had a large plastic Coke bottle bank that we used to save spare change. The crooks actually dumped it out, picked out all the nickels, dimes and quarters and left a pile of pennies on the floor! They must have heard a noise or something, got scared and left the apartment quickly because our electric typewriter was on the kitchen table near the door. It looked like they were on their way out with it and just dropped it on the table.

I was really frustrated because:

* It appears that they got in by breaking a window in broad daylight. The window was on a fairly busy street in plain view of a bus stop. Pretty bold!

* The police believed the thieves lived in the building. They assumed one of them broke the window and climbed in, then opened the door for the others. They also assumed the thieves took all the stuff out the door and just carried it down the hall to their own apartment.

* I did not have renters insurance, so we didn't get reimbursed for anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer

Herndon
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good lesson for everyone that reads this thread.

Take PHOTOS of all of your prize possessions. A close up photo of a piece of jewelry is much better than a description from memory.

For your games, you might consider adding a "personal" mark that will help identify the game as yours at a later date. A small red marker dot in the inside corner of the box lid of your game as an example, or on the back of your tv, bottom label of your silver, under the handlebar of your bicycle, etc.

These tips will come in handy when you go to identify an item at a pawn shop or such. You just never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
That's a real bummer.....I'm so sorry to hear that you have to go through this experience.

What part of Phoenix are you in?, if you don't mind me asking. I'm down in Chandler and we've had a few cases of break-ins in the neighborhood....not too much.

A co-worker of mine who lives in Gilbert just shared an interesting story with me (not sure when it happened) where he heard a noise in the middle of the night, came down the stairs to find a man and a woman in his kitchen with flashlights. He chased them out the garage, down the street, caught them, and detained the husband until the police arrived. The wife came back when her husband was caught and detained.

I'm in central Phoenix, near Phoenix College. We're in a pretty average neighborhood, but the crime seems to be getting worse lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
urnmywy wrote:
This is a good lesson for everyone that reads this thread.

Take PHOTOS of all of your prize possessions. A close up photo of a piece of jewelry is much better than a description from memory.

For your games, you might consider adding a "personal" mark that will help identify the game as yours at a later date. A small red marker dot in the inside corner of the box lid of your game as an example, or on the back of your tv, bottom label of your silver, under the handlebar of your bicycle, etc.

These tips will come in handy when you go to identify an item at a pawn shop or such. You just never know.

THIS!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
This is a picture of General Cassius Marcellus Clay, radical abolitionist, politician, lawyer, farmer, and Bowie knife fighter. Look him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting burglarized or robbed really stinks. It deals both a financial and psychological blow. It takes some time to be inwardly okay again and for your future hyper-vigilance to calm down. I sympathize with you having dealt with it in the past.

So a painful lesson learned now is:
Hide your valuables inside board game boxes.
...Oh and get a big intimidating dog!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashgrove wrote:
Getting burglarized or robbed really stinks. It deals both a financial and psychological blow. It takes some time to be inwardly okay again and for your future hyper-vigilance to calm down. I sympathize with you having dealt with it in the past.

Oh the irony of that last statement. I have a 110 pound boxer-something mix with a bark that shakes the walls. Apparently, his bark is bigger than his bite.

Upside though is that a bunch of robberies in Phoenix lately have happened where the thief kills the dog in order to steal from the house. My dog is still alive, but I'm thinking about putting him in a shame-collar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coryke wrote:
Ashgrove wrote:

Oh the irony of that last statement. I have a 110 pound boxer-something mix with a bark that shakes the walls. Apparently, his bark is bigger than his bite.

Upside though is that a bunch of robberies in Phoenix lately have happened where the thief kills the dog in order to steal from the house. My dog is still alive, but I'm thinking about putting him in a shame-collar.

I'm glad, I heard that also! Horrible. My friend who I mentioned before, had two huge loud doberman pinschers...they were unharmed, but it didn't stop them, dogs aren't a theft deterrent.

Since then, we both covered our houses with cameras. He put several in his house that record to the cloud and they can monitor during the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think dogs are such a deterrent where weapons ate widely available.

We used to have a guard dog, here in the UK . He was a gorgeous, but dangerous, German Shepherd. He was well trained, and sent to his pen whenever we had visitors. During winter we would let him sleep in the kitchen.

One night we heard shouting from down stairs. My grandad, who was the dogs owner, went to investigate. Someone had climbed in through a window we left open to give the dog air.

The guy had managed to climb in without the dog hearing, but not out. He'd ended up locking himself in the pantry so the dog couldn't get him.

The police arrived and we let him out of the pantry and they took him away.

Long story short is they can be a good tool, but being living things they have their flaws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
This is a picture of General Cassius Marcellus Clay, radical abolitionist, politician, lawyer, farmer, and Bowie knife fighter. Look him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
From a personal defense stand point a fair to good guard dog CAN do the following:
Alert you when you are home and there are suspicious sounds about.
Alert your neighbors when there are suspicious sounds about.
Be seen as an obstacle when choosing a target to rob (but post a sign as a reminder as some of the anecdotes show).

Crooks generally look for "easy" targets. If they wanted to spend their fair share of calories for income they would choose another field. Dogs are far from the only tool in the toolbox, but surely a useful one. As far as being not much of a deterrent where weapons are readily available
I can only provide my own experiences at the moment as well as others in that professional community. Most law enforcement I communicate with claim that dogs reduce the chance of being burglarized significantly.

I respond to try to help having suffered the same, researched the subject as a result and now include that kind of info in my personal defense training as an instructor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashgrove wrote:
From a personal defense stand point a fair to good guard dog CAN do the following:
Alert you when you are home and there are suspicious sounds about.
Alert your neighbors when there are suspicious sounds about.
Be seen as an obstacle when choosing a target to rob (but post a sign as a reminder as some of the anecdotes show).

Crooks generally look for "easy" targets. If they wanted to spend their fair share of calories for income they would choose another field. Dogs are far from the only tool in the toolbox, but surely a useful one. As far as being not much of a deterrent where weapons are readily available
I can only provide my own experiences at the moment as well as others in that professional community. Most law enforcement I communicate with claim that dogs reduce the chance of being burglarized significantly.

I respond to try to help having suffered the same, researched the subject as a result and now include that kind of info in my personal defense training as an instructor.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. My dog is a good dog. He's loud and I've seen a number of grown men jump at the sight and sound of him. Since the robbery happened during the day, maybe nobody heard him bark.

I've already called a security system company to come on Monday. Just adding to the arsenal of deterrents (I hope).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Hopefully the company will come to your property and make good suggestions about lighting, trees, replacing door screws with 4" etc. Good luck and I hope the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Tyge
Denmark
flag msg tools
you can get surveillance that will automatic give you an alert on the phone when there are motion detected, and you can get live pictures from the cams to your phone. It give a good safe feeling that you always can check your house on the smartphone, and who is in the house. And it is not that expensive anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jacobtyge wrote:
you can get surveillance that will automatic give you an alert on the phone when there are motion detected, and you can get live pictures from the cams to your phone. It give a good safe feeling that you always can check your house on the smartphone, and who is in the house. And it is not that expensive anymore.

This describes almost exactly what I have put in place since the robbery. It isn't too expensive, as you say. So I'm happy about that. Now if only the city detectives would call us back. Still haven't talked to the police other than the first responding officer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.