Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My video reviews can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaTj4DQEix6MzHEo0TFx7hw

My geek list can be found here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/4970023#item49...

Conclusion:

This is a mass market game that sort of hit a nerve with gamers. The game relies very heavily on the theme/license. There isn't a game here if you don't have a connection with the license.

The game is a random flipping of cards and hoping the right combination of cards are found to win the game. Decisions? The game really lacks any meaningful decisions. Whenever one says something like this someone will talk about all the decisions you make the game. This game has player elimination and with one flip of a card you may get the snake card and you are dead with no way to combat it. You just flipped over a card, which you had to do because it was the only trail card you had to play and you have to play all the trail cards. Sigh.

This is a pretty big miss and a pretty strong recommendation to stay away. There isn't anything here to see and nothing to come to (or to come back to). If you have interest in this game, change your mind right now and save your money. It is really that terrible.

Purge.

Components:

The components are really simple. I like the card quality. They are fairly good. The art work is all to be like the game. The die is nice enough and has that pixel look from the 80's. The write board is really just useless and the game could have ditched it. Otherwise, the cards are just what is really there.

Rule Book:

I found the rule book to be very basic. The game is very simple to learn and to play. I had a few questions after reading (the card where you roll even and you can continue and can any player play cards to block the bad cards). We made our own house rules. This is a failure on the part of a rule book.

Flow of the Game:

The flow of the game is pretty easy to get the hang of. Players attempt to work together to make it alive down the Oregon Trail (only one person must stay alive for the players to win the game).

Each turn you will play a card to add to the trail (after a large number of these trail cards are played). On your turn, you play a card (if you can and if not you draw a card). Sometimes these cards will make bad (i.e. random) things happen to you. These can be blocked somewhat if you (randomly) have cards that block it.

The game is really that basic, random and easy. There isn't a ton in this game and the decisions are rather basic.

Should I buy this game?:

You would have to be a pretty big fan of this old computer game to find a lot in this game in the way of reasons to keep it or worse yet play it. The reasons to play this game a couple times are memories, courage, adventure and a seeker of boredom and lovers of luck. The game happens to you a lot more than you make any decisions in this game that matter. Old memories and a glutton for punishment are the only people need apply here.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1098 The Oregon Trail Card Game: An act of death by boredom and a lucky finish to the trip
There is a zombie-themed remake of the original game you can get on Steam or GOG which probably would be a better investment if you feel nostalgic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1098 The Oregon Trail Card Game: An act of death by boredom and a lucky finish to the trip
JadedGamer wrote:
There is a zombie-themed remake of the original game you can get on Steam or GOG which probably would be a better investment if you feel nostalgic

I found a web page where you can play the original game. I played it last night. Wasn't good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.