$20.00
$60.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Wyatt Earp» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Wyatt Earp Session Report from Spielbound Board Game Cafe in Omaha, NE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyatt Earp session report - Spielbound Board Game Cafe, Omaha NE, August 13th 2016

(Geoff studies his opening hand)

Wyatt Earp is a cool game I don't play nearly often enough. So, to encourage more frequent play, I decided to schedule a demo of it at Spielbound Board Game in Omaha, NE. I had a full table show up for the demo, Geoff, Rob, and Warren and his sister, Cecily, and we were soon under way.

(Warren considers his first play. What's up with that shirt?)

Sometimes this game starts a little slow if players have difficulty finding three-of-a-kinds to start laying down cards right away. But that wasn't the case in any of our hands throughout the game. In the first hand, it only took a few turns before everyone had at least one set of outlaw cards down in front of them. This game starts to swing one way or another when more than one player start battling for the same outlaw in the same hand. But this didn't happen in our game in the first hand. Each player played it pretty safe, piling up large stacks of outlaws unique to themselves and discouraging other players from even trying to get in on a share of the bounty.

(Geoff prepares an attack - that's what he does)

There were only a couple of sheriffs played the first round. Both of these things were pretty unusual from my experience, but resulted in a fairly even distribution of bounty funds when the hand ended. Everyone had between $6-$10 thousand dollars and there was only one outlaw, Billy the Kid, carrying an interesting amount of money over to the next round.

(Rob defends himself from Geoff's inevitable attack)

There was more conflict in the second hand. Geoff and Warren were struggling for the Billy the Kid's increasing bounty while Cecily and Rob exchanged hideouts. More Sheriff cards were played this hand and started a trend of consecutive successful shots that would last until the end of the game.

(Cecily - a very friendly person in normal interactions, but won't hesitate to unleash doom on others around the board game table)

Geoff wound up winning the majority of Billy the Kid's bounty, diversify his outlaw cards in play to get in on other bounties, and win an exclusive modest share of another outlaw's bounty - all of which resulted in him opening up a lead on the other players and get within striking range of the goal amount. But with several outlaws carrying over fair-sized bounties, the players recognized it was anyone's game if things broke right. Still, it seemed a safe bet the third hand would be the last one. The score after the second hand: Geoff - $23 thousand, Rob - $17 thousand, Warren - $15 thousand, Cecily - $12 thousand.

(Geoff had an impressive display of cards in front of himself partway through the second hand)

Unsurprisingly, Geoff became a target in the third hand. Other players challenged him for the outlaws he laid down and played multiple hideouts on him. But Geoff had an answer for them. A steady supply of Wyatt Earp cards enabled him to nullify the hideouts and get some choice cards in play. Unfortunately for Warren and Cecily, they were unable to make up much ground by failing to find any Sheriffs that added additional bounty money to the outlaws they were pursuing.

(The circle of outlaws a little into the third hand)

Rob, however, had a strong round and emptied his hand first. He won a majority of the funds of a couple of outlaws who carried money over to the third hand. Unfortunately, Geoff was in on both of those to cut down on the amount of ground Rob was endeavoring to gain. When the dust cleared and final bullets had ceased to fly, Geoff had done enough to hang onto the lead and emerge victorious.

(Geoff looking confident)

Final Score:
Geoff - $35 thousand
Rob - $31 thousand
Warren - $22 thousand
Cecily - 16 thousand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Okami
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good time!

Your cards are more brightly colored than mine - it must be a different version than I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bbacher wrote:
Sounds like a good time!

Your cards are more brightly colored than mine - it must be a different version than I have.

That could be. I have an older first edition set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.