Subject: Colt Express: why I love it and why some people don't rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fun 3D board, wild west theme, trains and chaos! I was "on board" after a couple plays of this beauty on boardgamearena.com.

But slow this train down, I'm not just here to rave. I'm here to help you fine folks decide whether this is the game for YOU.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: When this baby arrived in the mail several months ago I couldn't wait to get it out of the box and set it up. I did so without much trouble, ooh-ing and aah-ing my way along, though it did take some time (I think an hour). But for your labor you get a pretty sweet looking cardboard train model.

So, let's talk about the COMPONENTS. Yes, the train is cool, but some larger handed folks may find it impractical- probably some small handed folks too. The smallish space in the train cars in no way bothers me, in fact I'd rather put up with the occasional dropping of of a meeple/loot token than sacrifice the richness of theme and presence the realistic model provides.

The game also includes some thematic bits of scenery... which honestly, I do play without. Yes, designers it was thoughtful of you to add those little bits of cardboard that look neat, but they don't actually stand up that easily and aren't necessary. So they stay in the box unless my nieces and nephews set the game up, in that case they're displayed in all their glory. Right in front of the train. To be run over by the train.

So what about the actual GAME PLAY? Here's where you're either going to love this game or hate it. If you like to think ahead twenty turns and plan your every move, calculate, deduct, determine, cogitate and otherwise predict the outcome then you might be on the wrong track.

That is not to say there isn't strategy here. Oh, no there is, but it's all about adapting and overcoming. You might have a pretty little plan cooked up in your head, so you're going to play this card that card and that card and win the day. Then your opponent plays a "move the Marshal card" and crap there goes your plan. Give up? No, adjust!

Other times you won't know which cards are being played because certain round cards call for some cards to be played face down (or if you play as Ghost your first card will always be played face-down). So you might think your plan is working out, then when the cards are being resolved somebody punches you into another car. Your plan is ruined- or can you change your strategy and make do with the cards you've already played? This game is about being flexible. It's about finding some control in the chaos, and it's about having fun. If that appeals to you, then by all means buy yourself a ticket and get ready to steal the victory, because you're bound for a good time the Old West!

Here's a little mediocre pic, because I happened to have one. The puns are no extra charge.

This review was brought to you by Soleia, Pirate Queen of the Great Abyss and informal writer of impromptu reviews.

Happy (t)rails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Soleia wrote:
That is not to say there isn't strategy here. Oh, no there is, but it's all about adapting and overcoming. You might have a pretty little plan cooked up in your head, so you're going to play this card that card and that card and win the day. Then your opponent plays a "move the Marshal card" and crap there goes your plan. Give up? No, adjust!

It sounds like you're basically saying this game is more tactical than strategic. Nothing wrong with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
Soleia wrote:

It sounds like you're basically saying this game is more tactical than strategic. Nothing wrong with that.

I still prefer Get Bit! about 1000x times because it has at least the same amounts of strategy and tactics, yet it feels more dramatic, is more cheap to get, smaller to carry around and not too fiddely. Also the bullet cards and luck of draw kind of make you sad.

Still - imho - this one is a better game than Robo Rally, as downtime/AP is less of an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:

I still prefer Get Bit! about 1000x times because it has at least the same amounts of strategy and tactics, yet it feels more dramatic, is more cheap to get, smaller to carry around and not too fiddely. Also the bullet cards and luck of draw kind of make you sad.

Still - imho - this one is a better game than Robo Rally, as downtime/AP is less of an issue.

The problem with Get Bit! is if someone decides to just play their hand randomly, you have no way to combat that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion helps mitigate the drawing luck issue a bit through whiskey and horse use.

I agree that this replaces RoboRally for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.