Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Following our game of Ticket to Ride: Europe, Randy decided that given we had only time for one more game before dinner and the serious part of the evening's play. It was his turn to choose again, and he chose Caylus.

I'd like to point out that Randy was quite aware that I've played almost 70 games of Caylus (mostly on bsw), and that he and Rich have played... one. Caylus is a good game he wanted to play, though, and one way of learning is from playing people who are experienced with the game. I guess he got what he wanted.

The dungeons weren't completed by us - Randy and Rich built one section each, I built two, thus earning the extra favour. Randy also build two of the wooden production buildings (2Cloth; 2Food), and managed to use them by clever use of the Provost.

During the second stage of the game - the building of the walls - it remained pretty close, although I managed to build two stone production buildings. Rich got the third stone production building, and also built the lawyer. Not much construction was done on the walls until the final turn before they'd be declared "completed" when I built five sections at once, earning the three bonus favours. At this point, I was well along both the money and building tracks, but the scores were all pretty close.

The game got very interesting in the third act. Here, Randy and Rich saved up a lot of cubes. Rich and I built some residences, and I took advantage of the chapel to gain an extra favour. Then my two opponents blindsided me - they build a *lot* of batches in the castle. From an uncompleted tower, they built 11 batches and almost finished the game! Rich was just one food off completing the tower and stranding me without anything in the castle at all for the final turn.

However, he didn't quite have enough food. I was going first for the final turn, so I made certain I went into the castle. With the favour gained for building I upgraded one of my residences into the 25-prestige mansion, and the game was mine.

Final scores: Merric 92, Randy 62, Richard 62.

It was almost a lot closer than that... I dare say that if Rich had one more food, the final scores would have been more like 70-65-62!

Even experience doesn't always work if you're not paying enough attention. Playing the game as a boardgame (rather than online on bsw) is quite a different form of the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.