Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 1 - I have 2 missions that I am sending out. One mission will cost me 4 ordinance pts, and the other mission will cost me 6 ordinance points.
Total is 10, so that would be 1 SO point.

But...

It seems that I can only use SO points per each mission. (So I would have to use 2 SO points.)

What is the reason? I am arming my planes at base... so...

Or am I totally misreading this....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you only load your aircraft at the start of their mission. Conduct one mission in its entirety and then proceed with the next mission. So in your example you would indeed have to use 2 SO points as you have deduced.

I don't know why the rules are written that way.

I suppose you could make a houserule to be able to split ordnance points between separate missions as long as your tracked how many were used on previous missions. It would obviously make the game a bit easier. There is a variant (official) rule from DVG regarding "superior ordnance crews" or some such thing. I think it's available on their website; I can't remember how it works offhand. Basically you pay a SO penalty up front at the beginning of the campaign and then are somehow able to recycle some of the unused ordnance points (SO Points, if you have any) between missions.

I don't have a problem with the rule; it's a good reason to overstock on more effective munitions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine the reason for the rule is keeping missions as separate as possible - minimises record-keeping, mental or otherwise. And then perhaps it would affect balance, with current weight limits and such.

Superior Crews lets you convert unfired weapons into ordnance points for the next mission, but not carry over unused points IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
rchandra wrote:
I imagine the reason for the rule is keeping missions as separate as possible - minimises record-keeping, mental or otherwise.

Good of you to mention this. I think this is the most likely reason, knowing what I know about DVG. They tend to demonstrate a desire for a simplicity in their designs that keeps the game and action flowing, if at the expense of rules that would perhaps add theme or realism. Not a criticism, just an observation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elliott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
rchandra wrote:
I imagine the reason for the rule is keeping missions as separate as possible - minimises record-keeping, mental or otherwise. And then perhaps it would affect balance, with current weight limits and such.

Superior Crews lets you convert unfired weapons into ordnance points for the next mission, but not carry over unused points IIRC.

That gives some insight to a question I had myself...whether you're allowed to re-use weapons that weren't fired during a mission. Sounds like the answer is no, unless you're using that optional rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CanucKev wrote:

That gives some insight to a question I had myself...whether you're allowed to re-use weapons that weren't fired during a mission. Sounds like the answer is no, unless you're using that optional rule...

That's right. You can assume your pilots are super paranoid and want to jettison everything they can before landing.

The old Origin flightsim Strike Commander shares some mission planning aspects of TAL. It let you jettison your bombs for manoeuvrability (if you had a major dogfight for example) but when I'm paying for my own ordnance I can't give it up, have to win or die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.