$30.00
J Huff
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

First time posting here, but I wanted to show off a current project. I've been making some Organizers / Character Sheet Holders for Arkham Horror.

The idea was simple. Design something to keep the cards standing up, and offer some inventory space. It would hold that, and have a slot for each hand. Nothing too fancy. I already owned a small laser cutter, so I started designing, listed below is some of my build steps.

I started by designing the cuts. Listed below is picture of the first cut piece:

As you can tell, there's no backing on it, but overall it seemed to work. So I cut a back, and glued it all together. Since I was cutting it out of wood, I wanted a dark stain to give it some personality, here's a picture of it with backing on:

Everything looked good, I also added a layer of Polyurethane to protect it from any spills, Listed below is a picture of it in use.

It looked great in my opinion (not the most fair judge). But there was a slight issue, the actual window for the character sheet seemed a bit tight. Nothing too bad, but over a long time, it could cause some issues. So the next prototype I made the window a bit larger.

I had also remembered an image I saved ages ago of Cthulhu. So I decided to give the organizer a bit more personality by engraving it with the Cthulhu. For the life of me I tried to track down the original creator of the image to link them here, but using google reverse search, tineye and others I couldn't track down the original. I'll add it in the future if anyone knows.

Anyhow, here's a picture of it in its current state:

I think instead of the stain I used previously, I might make/buy a very dark green stain, which I think would fit in very well.

Please let me know what you think! I'll add updates to this thread as a move forward.

-TheYam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice and depending on the price, I'd be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Huff
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Thanks! Once I have everything set in stone, I'm thinking of throwing them on Etsy. If I get that far I'll make sure to let people know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are super cool. I might steal your idea and try to make a 3D printable one. I like the idea of saving some table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lott
United States
FPO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! Will be on the lookout for these on Etsy.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Huff
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Haha, feel free to steal the idea, I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it!

For those of you with laser cutters, I'll probably make the drawings available once I've completed the testing.

As an update to the project, I've commissioned a design to be engraved in the final product. It wouldn't be right, or legal to use the Cthulhu head without contacting whomever made it.

I've found a green stain I'll be testing, although it'll take about a week to ship.

Next update is either when I get the design for the engraving back, or when I get the stain in the mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheYam wrote:
Thanks! Once I have everything set in stone, I'm thinking of throwing them on Etsy. If I get that far I'll make sure to let people know.

Etsy is a great venue for your board. Please post here when your're ready to sell. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I might recommend is a small semicircular cut on the left so you easily lift out the character sheet - might be tricky getting a finger in behind the sheet. You may want to study these ones too:

http://e-raptor.pl/en_US/p/e-Raptor-organizer-compatible-wit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Huff
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Quick Update:

Hey Wolfie, I had thought about it, but after doing a test cut, I really didn't like the hole being in the backing (personal preference). And I found it was easy enough to just dump it out when you were done. I might add it in later, but for now, probably not.

Also thanks for linking that organizer, looks interesting for sure.

As for the update on my progress:

So since I couldn't track down the original creator of that Cthulhu drawing I reached out to an artist Mudokonabe to get one commissioned that I could use if I ever decided to sell these.
(They have a Fiverr if you're interested https://www.fiverr.com/mudokonabe )

I couldn't be happier with the results.

As for the green stain I mentioned previously. Turns out, that's not a common thing. I've got some on the way, but no idea when it will show up. I might test making my own, but we'll see after this one shows up.

I also noticed PostImage had taken down all of my images, so I've re-uploaded to Imgur in hopes they stay up. I apologize for them all disappearing.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
Want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Huff
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Another quick update. I got tired of waiting for the supplies for the Green Stain. So I decided to make my own. I applied it to an old test engraving I did. The results are below.

Based on those results I'm liking it a lot. I've started staining a few boards, and putting them all together. Should have an update with the finished product this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
Really nice work Yams

The cutout on the mainsheet (topsheet) looks a good size, if you want a DXF for a mini card holder you can make from the cut out drop me a line and I'll send you one over

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Huff
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the delay! But I think I've got everything finished on my first set!

Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a game today and I was thinking about your idea. I think this is one of the cooler upgrades you can add to this game. Great Idea and Great Execution! The image is so cool it seems like a shame it is getting covered up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greenroxx
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
it s great ! the only thing to fix are the skill cursors. If you find a way to fix them like eraptor arkham organiser does, it would be a must have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.